Piston dish shape?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Geo.
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Piston dish shape?

Post by Geo. »

I went to pick up my parts from the machine shop and was disappointed to discover that they had not machined the pistons yet. The shop does not have a cnc mill and wants to know if they can chuck them up in the lathe and turn a circular dish as it would be much faster than milling the stock shape manually. My first reaction was no way but I am sure I have seen stock chevy small block pistons dished like that.

Does the shape matter that much? I am worried about reducing the quench area. If it's acceptable would a smaller in dia. but deeper dish be preferred to a wider but shallower shape?

Thoughts?
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Piston dish shape?

Post by Flash »

In either case, the thickness of the piston bowl will be you stooping point.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

It would be better to keep the original shape. It will produce a better quench. The flat spot on the piston matches up with the flat spot on the head.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I asked a similar question here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=273 I.e. full circular dish vs stock D dish

Only Flash responded though.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

The way quench works is with air movement. With the pistons flat surface coming within .050" or so of the heads flat surface, the air is forced out of that area creating the cooling effect. IIRC, the pistons in the picture posted by silverxj were going to be used with forced induction and they may have had no choice but to remove the quench area of the piston to get compression ratio down enough, but I could be wrong.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
Geo.
Donator
Donator

Post by Geo. »

Yeah, I thought so. So by milling the flat area on the piston I am reducing the amount of area available to "squish" the charge into the combustion chamber.

I am going to have to find a machine shop with a cnc mill. Sigh....... living on the edge of civilization sucks at times.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Do a search on here as I believe someone on here does them.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

I've dished stock pistons for myself and 2229 silvolites for yuppiexj on this forum. I'm always looking for side work. I leave on vacation tomorrow so if you try to contact me I wont be back until next weekend.
Here are some pictures of my stock pistons that I dished to 23cc's from another thread.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=108&p=844#p844
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

oletshot wrote:I've dished stock pistons for myself and 2229 silvolites for yuppiexj on this forum.
here's a beauty shot.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn35 ... piston.jpg
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
oldseddie
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by oldseddie »

My Nascar engine building buddy says that the optimum shape of a dish is a mirror of the combustion chamber. This optimizes the available quench area. It probably won't work on a Jeep stroker piston as this would not allow as large of dish area as we need to reduce the compression to 9:1 which he says is max for cast iron heads on pump gas.