4.6 stroker in a Full Size Jeep

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Zorm
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: taking the plunge, poor man's?

Post by Zorm »

got my pistons and rings today. Now that I look at them, the ones that I took out of the 258 look close to the same but they were .10 over.
So then the question, I had a 258 with 10 over pistons and a 4.0 head. So, how much umph will I see with tne 4.6, or whatever it comes out to with 30 over pistons?
I am going to reuse the stock 4.0 cam with new lifters.

another thought I have is wraping the stock exhaust manifold with that header rap to keep down the heat off the intake. Wonder if I can find something to try and keep intake cooler.

Landon, I'll keep this posted since it will be going into a FSJ.

Few things to do with the FSJ's or SJ's. To fit the 4.0 intakes, even the 2000 and up, you will need to get rid of the big brake booster. I will be putting in hydroboost from a chevy, got the unit and the bracket to mount it to the Jeep firewall. Look for Elliot on the IFSJA.org list.

With the fuel injection, need to get a ele. fuel pump. I bought one the E2008 unit from AutoZone. Already have the FI hose ran from the fuel tank to the hard lines on the right side of the frame. I think I will mount the fuel pump under passengers seat on the frame maybe in the frame, there is a nice protected sopt there, filter before and after.

I will be keeping my T176, even if I go with a NP435 4 speed, I will still use the same bellhousing that I will be modifying to have the CPS in the normal stock location. Don't really see paying Hesco 300+ for their CPS relocation unit. I also don't see paying Hensco the 80+ bucks for the ele/mech speed sensor cable connection. I found a speedo cable from a dodge that will screw on to the ele/mech speed sensor I got from a 91 Wrangler with the 2.5. Just need to either do some moding' of the cable ends or the speedo conn.

I am going to try and splice the 92 engine wire harness into the 83 firewall pass through connector to keep everything clean.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Going through Jeep withdraw....engine is still at the shop, busy one man operation. Haven't really done anything Jeep for a while, been working with my son on the 66 mustang. I need to pull the Jeep in the back and get back into it, I miss driving her and the look in folks face. I guess they never seen a old cherokee. I've had some guys ask, "wow you removed the wood trim" I say, not is the last year of the big cherokee, they come back "the last year?" cherokee did not come out till 84, I smile and show them the door plate :D

will post more later........I miss my chero :(
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Ok, as I waite for the engine to come back, working on other projects. 66 mustang floor pan replacement, 71 F250 bed repair, revamp of back deck and pool, and have been thinking. How would this stroker run with a 4bbl carb? I can either find a 4bbl intake for a 258 and do the little mod to put it on the 4.0 head or, what about modifying the 91-98 4.0 intake to accept a 4bbl, or, dare I say, the newer rounded intake.

thoughts :?:
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

So, going the FI way, no carbs (diet)

ok, whats a good source for cheep ford 24lb injectors? if I go to a yard, what engine am I loooking for? If/when I find them, how can I identify. Once I get them, whats the best way to clean them.

thanks
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

What fuel system & fuel pressure you are using?

If you get injectors from a salvage yard the best bet is to send them off to a cleaning service. Its would probably be a better idea to just get a set that have already been refurbished.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Ok, got Ford 24lb injectors off Flebay, getting the tb from Leigh Machine, bored out. Engine will be done early November, but starting to think about V-8 for my SJ...Anyone want to toss pros and cons in the V-8 verses 4.7 stroker arena. This 83 4 door cherokee (FSJ) will be a weekend and sometimes trail driver.

thanks
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

:banana: oh yea baby! Swung by the machine shop and my engine is ready....only had it a year. Now the fun starts!!!!
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

need to start a new thread, but I pick up the engine Monday. I have really thinking about a turbo or supercharger, junk yard fond stuff.
Any thoughts??
tommy

Post by tommy »

I have been waiting to see how it works for you. I logged on today to see if you have any updates. I am interested to see how you like the stroker vs. your original motor and if you are satisfied with that. I remember you were agonizing over which direction to go.
Zorm

Poor man's 4.6 in a Full Size Jeep

Post by Zorm »

Update.
Engine is coming together, I know, most of you would have had the thing in the Jeep by now. Well, along with a real busy work schedule, honey do spring list, and trying to work on two other projects and helping a friend with electrical issues, its been slow, at least I got the pistons in.
Need to clean up the intake, clean out the oil pan and valve cover, maybe should have done that before I painted them (Ford Blue....I know, but I almost put a 351 drive train in this jeep, so keep it Jeep but make it blue). Got my injectors, ford 24lb. Also need to get the flywheel on the engine and start working on the T176 bell housing to accept the stock CPS, or may send it to Novak adapters to get that done...don't know yet. Got the hydroboost brake unit in, (this is a must in you are putting a 4.0 with any of the 4.0 intakes into a full size jeep due to the large vac power brake booster hitting the 4.0 intake) just need to clean up the master cylinder and put the jeep res on the GM unit. Also worked on adapting a speedo cable from the 91 Jeep speed sensor to my 83 speedo, just bought the correct speed sensor connector. Picked up a stock O2 sensor (to get the engine running at first), the crank position sensor, MAP sensor, and the snap in fuel rail connectors. While I was getting those from two jeeps at a junk yard, I found a huge TB from a ford that makes the stock tb look way small, so I grabbed that too.
Been working on the 91 cherokee engine harness to try and remove all the junk that I don't need but trying to keep the power dist part of the engine harness, want to use some of those fuses and relays for other stuff.
One thing, Dino, if you are reading this, do you have any pics of your ford TB with the IAC? besides the one on your web page? I think I may need to do some machining to get the IAC on this Ford TB.
Also curious about the how the little IAC openings are working vise the larger stock ones.
Zorm

Re: 4.6 stroker in a Full Size Jeep

Post by Zorm »

got a question on the cam and installing the timing chain. I have #1 piston at TDC, no gears or chain between the cam and crank. Is there any other way of getting the cam to the correct position other then watching the push rods move while I turn it? I do not have the rockers on yet and was thinking I can get the cam set to the correct position, put on the timing set then put the rockers on, then the dizzy.

thoughts please?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Um.. don't you just line up the dots on the timing set...
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

um, I would say yes, but I have two holes on the cam for a roll pin but no pin. The gear has a hole for that roll pin, so wich hole on the cam do I use.

ok, got it figured out.....duh......next
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Ok, engine progress

Why Ford blue? because my other projects are Fords, so I can make it seem like there might be a Ford engine....

One of the TBs I may try and use, this one came off a ford 5.7. I am grabing one from a ford 5.0 today, Dino has a write up, but more pics from him would help, just saying.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Picked up a Ford 5.0 TB off an Explorer Friday. Loooking at it and Dino's write up, I see now how he did the IAC. You will need the part of the housing that unbolts from the Jeep TB, and two of those holes align to the two screw holes in the 5.0 TB, you will just need to drill the Jeep housing a little more. I will post pics when I do all this work, expanding on Dino's write up with pics. As far as size, its just a hair smaller then the one in the pic I posted above. Check back in about 2-3 days.