4.6 stroker in a Full Size Jeep

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Poor man's 4.6 in a Full Size Jeep

Post by Cheromaniac »

Zorm wrote:One thing, Dino, if you are reading this, do you have any pics of your ford TB with the IAC? besides the one on your web page?

The best pic that I have is this one from my webpage. You can see that I used the Jeep IAC and mounted it at an angle to get the holes aligned as best as possible. Since the IAC holes in the Mustang TB are round and the holes in the Jeep IAC are rectangular, it wasn't easy so I applied some steel epoxy in the IAC holes to improve the alignment. It worked a treat.
I also used the Jeep throttle linkage and shaft in the Mustang TB but I needed to reverse it 'cause the throttle blade in the Mustang TB turns in the opposite direction. This meant that I had to get creative with the throttle stop and return spring.
The Jeep TPS, thankfully, bolted straight on.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Zorm
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1983

Re: 4.6 stroker in a Full Size Jeep

Post by Zorm »

Dino, thanks for the pic. I understand better now that I have one of these TB's. This one looks like I will be able to drill the mounting holes into the bass of the Ford TB that will match up with the Jeep TB mounting holes. I am going to use allen head bolts since the space will be close to the TB body. I plan on posting pics of my complete TB build but give you the credit.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Ok, update.
Worked on the ford TB this weekend, Mother's day so other projects took front seat.

The IAC housing before closing ports with epoxy putty

After the epoxy
you can see where I have just the large openings now.

Same on the TB

Now you can see, with the Jeep IAC gasket, how the openings will line up. also, two of the Jeeps IAC mounting holes line up. I plan on drilling the other two holes and tap them.

I did not see the use of this chunk of alm, so I cut it off.

here are the mounting holes I drilled (smaller ones) then I cut the 4 corners off (ford mounting holes) then painted.

here are the throttle plates to compare. Smaller one is the stock 4.0, middle is the tb from the ford 5.0 that is above(got it off an explorer) The largest one is from the ford 5.7, only problem with that one is you would need to make a spacer plate and add the IAC ports and housing. The 5.7 TB is 70mm
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Zorm wrote:Now you can see, with the Jeep IAC gasket, how the openings will line up. also, two of the Jeeps IAC mounting holes line up. I plan on drilling the other two holes and tap them.
You can use the Ford IAC gasket, and you don't need to drill any holes to mount the Jeep IAC. Just use the existing bolts with washers and the existing bolt holes to secure the IAC in place. Simple and effective.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

I was thinking that may have been the way you did it. I will try it that way then.
Thanks again Dino.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Haven't really done much on this project except trying to get the correct brackets for alt, PS and A/C and paint them. Also spent a little time again with the ford TB, see pics below. Worked on mounting the TPS by modifying the throttle plate shaft.

epoxied the ford tps mounting holes, will redrill and retap for the Jeep tps

ended up rotating the spring backwards and tighter for the same movement as the Jeep TB

here you see how the I shortened the shaft and small flat peice. Now it sits further into the TB housng. On one of the previous pics you can see the shaft sticking out further then this. I found out, that end of the shaft is solid, so grinding it down to size is not an issue.

Here I have two of the brackets. The top is the A/C bracket from the 258, I will be reusing the york compressor and will be making another bracket to mount OBA, maybe. The bottom one is part of the Alt bracket.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Getting close. I am going to attempt mounting the CPS on the T176 bellhousing myself, as in this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/offic ... dex19.html page 19 middle of thread.
I also have a Masters E2182 fuel pump that I picked up a few years ago for a Holley projection kit that I bought, won't be using that now, well, not on this jeep. Its output is about 80-100 psi. I have the old 4.0 injectors, the stock injectors off the 2000 intake, and a set of ford 24lb injectors, which of the later two do I use, and do I still need to regulate down the pressure? I have both fuel rails, and was kinda thinking of using the 2000 fuel rail with an external regulator that has a bypass port vise using the older rail and buying the Hesco regulator.

Thoughts??
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

anyone have any thoughts from my last post about the injectors?
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

which fuel management are you using?
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

shawnxj I am using a stock 92 ecm and engine harness.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

thoughts on wide band 02 sensor, do I, will I need it? Also looking for any thoughts on the injector question
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

update on some work, altnator and bell housing

picked up a 136amp alt from a Grand Cherokee v-8. Had to grind the bracket, some of the block and some of the alt to get it to fit.

T176 bellhousing for CPS

I set the CPS .20 from the sensor ring, actually found a peice of zip tie that was the same thickness, and taped that to the cps for get the holes right in the CPS bracket.

we'll see if it all works. Need to still get my fuel pressure regulator and finish up on the Cherokee wiring.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

if anyone is still following this thread, sorry for the long pause. Started to clean up the Jeep's engine bay, then son's picked up some projects. Nissan 240sx and a Datsun Fairlady 280z from japan, right hand drive. Well, the 240 projects were a bust, bought, sold and lost money. The 280z is getting an engine upgrade and I was finally able to get the jeep back in the work area. Did get my fuel pressure regulator with bypass from Jeggs. Need to finish up on the engine bay painting, with warmer weather. But in the mean time, I am thinking about rebuilding the T176 tranny and NP208 xfr case. Also finish up on the wiring.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

I did do some work to the jeep, not the engine though, what the front looks like. Started to do some weld in rust repair on the right fender, ended up trashing it, so have a new to me one.

some light body work

where my air intake will get air from (maybe make a hummer type snorkel cap)

shot of hoses, wires and hydroboost

another shot of the hydroboost (got bracket and bushing from Elliot over at IFSJA.org)

Picked up a hyd clutch master/slave cylinders from autozone, mounting where that dot is in the shadow.

test fitting the master cyl.

mounted

where the shaft get mounted to inside

now just need to find the hose that goes between the two. I lucked out by haveing the correct bellhousing on the T176 to mount the slave cylinder already so that was cool.

I might be installing the engine sometime before the new year, will get pics of that too.
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

Zorm wrote: Did get my fuel pressure regulator with bypass from Jeggs.

which one did you go with, please?