Went to the local pull a part today

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Re: Went to the local pull a part today

Post by Shark »

dwg86 wrote:They have a bunch of Cherokees. Some late 80's with 258's...
i dont think any XJs came with 258s.
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

tigerShark wrote:
dwg86 wrote:They have a bunch of Cherokees. Some late 80's with 258's...
i dont think any XJs came with 258s.
'
He said Cherokee's not XJ's...

He was referring to the full size Cherokee.

If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Flash earlier you commented "One more thought on the wide issue. the crown of the lifter and the tapper of the lobe, Hmmm does the lifter and the lobe not completely contact each other at max lift? all the lobe wear patterns do to me!" And yes most of the cams showing wear patterns are well used camshafts, for your library, http://www.sacskyranch.com/camshaft.htm this is from a background of aircraft engines. He addresses the wear you see at the top of the lobe early on. Some very good info for those that have not seen it.
John
Flash

Post by Flash »

John wrote:Flash earlier you commented "One more thought on the wide issue. the crown of the lifter and the tapper of the lobe, Hmmm does the lifter and the lobe not completely contact each other at max lift? all the lobe wear patterns do to me!" And yes most of the cams showing wear patterns are well used camshafts, for your library, http://www.sacskyranch.com/camshaft.htm this is from a background of aircraft engines. He addresses the wear you see at the top of the lobe early on. Some very good info for those that have not seen it.
John

so your saying a freshly broken in cam would only us the outer edge of the the cam???? even on the top of the lobe?
If this were true, then the wider factory lobe would be of "0" affect on cam lobe life!!! :? :?:

Every cam that i have pulled out has had at least 90% of the lobe surice polish by the lifter at max lift..............

Here is some pic's of my .430"/.450" 260/268 MPP cam out of my 340. Had it in my cuda for about a year(was my daily driver at the time)
There is nothing Wrong with it, just wanted some thing bigger.

I have read that link before, but was nice to read it again.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Flash

Post by Flash »

I had to go take a 2nt look at my cam, as these pic make it look like it pitted real bad............................
No pits vary smooth, just the dust from the box and my finger prints on the cam that been sitting in a cam box for the last 8 years :oops:

Flash

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
John
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Glad you posted that last bit of information :o . And since we have these photos showing the lifter track as it rotates and travels around the dia. of the cam. If you would machine the portion to the left of this polished track you would have what the after market manufactures are giving us............. look at the first two or three photos.
John
Flash

Post by Flash »

Hmm thats true
Priated this from Franks cam failure.

There's a lot less polished surface from the lifter on franks and it on the edge of the cam on the base circle. were as my cam has a safe border before the edge................In other words my cam could walk a small amount with out catching the edge. were theses no room for error on Franks cam........................ no wonder you us a solid pin instead of the factory spring and pin!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Flash