so if i wanted a stroker...

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
rrocket1

so if i wanted a stroker...

Post by rrocket1 »

ok so ive read up on strokers alittle... but say i wanted to throw in the 4.5 crank and rods in my 96 4.0 and kept my reg pistons what kind of gains might i see? and also would the 4.5 pass an inspection if it needs to be plugged in? it seems to me that its a pretty big change and would probably dish out a code or two and trip the check engine but i really dont know
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: so if i wanted a stroker...

Post by Flash »

I/M? whats that :D
As i live in a state that has neither of them, i can't answer your question................I will, how ever, give you my opinion! :lol:
When you are saying 4.5 you are referring to the 4.5L not "stroke" right. I just want to be on the same page.

If you build the stroker from your same block, head and factory emissions, the guy checking you vehicle will have no clue that you have installed a bigger eng.
2nt, if you were to us the same cam(stock) or a mildly larger cam, the IM should be close to the same as your 4.0L did.
Shouldn't be a problem.

The higher compression my affect your NOX emission...........Might be a good idea to slightly deepen the factory piston dish(if there is room) and enlarge you combustion chamber in your head a few CC to help with this potential problem.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
rrocket1

Post by rrocket1 »

yeahh i ment to say i wanted to put in the crank from the 4.2l and it would make my motor into the 4.5l. im not sure if i what i would do for cam yet but i need this car as my DD so it has to pass inspection no mater what i do to it. im not worried about anyone seeing what i do to it because my father is a mechanic and has his own shop so i do my own inspections its just that my car needs to be plugged into the computer to complete the inspection since its a 96 and i live in NY.
Flash

Post by Flash »

rrocket1 wrote:yeahh i ment to say i wanted to put in the crank from the 4.2l and it would make my motor into the 4.5l. im not sure if i what i would do for cam yet but i need this car as my DD so it has to pass inspection no mater what i do to it. im not worried about anyone seeing what i do to it because my father is a mechanic and has his own shop so i do my own inspections its just that my car needs to be plugged into the computer to complete the inspection since its a 96 and i live in NY.
Living in NY you have the tougher standard, but i thing, in the whores case, you will need to add a cat to you plans. IF it sets a code, probably would have set the same code as a 4.0L :)
You should be fine.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."