Expert advice

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Expert advice

Post by SilverXJ »

How long did you run it before pushing it to 2000 RPM? What lube did you use on the cam shaft and lifter foot? How many of the lifters are damaged? Sounds like most of them. What oil did you use for the break in? I may have missed this, but what cam and lifters did you use?
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Model: GC/WJ

Post by WJ 2000 »

SilverXJ wrote:How long did you run it before pushing it to 2000 RPM? What lube did you use on the cam shaft and lifter foot? How many of the lifters are damaged? Sounds like most of them. What oil did you use for the break in? I may have missed this, but what cam and lifters did you use?

I ran the motor for 17 minutes @ 2000 rpm, I did wittness motor oil was used on the lifters, by a hand held 1/8 qt pump, most of lifters was lightly, 4 highly, 1 beyond repair
I was tolled to buy Mobil super 1300, Delvac15 w 40 diesel motor oil , Clevite Cam & lifters stock grind.
what they say is that when I stoped to check my fluid levels, wich I only ran the motor for 3 minutes'' at adle, turned it off and checked things out. That I messed up the Cam brake'n period .
after I checked every thing out, I started the Cam brake in, about 17mins @ 2000 I was told to run it for 20 mins.
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

I for got to add on the list, the zinc additive they gave me
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

WJ 2000 wrote: I did wittness motor oil was used on the lifters, by a hand held 1/8 qt pump,
What do you mean?

Letting it run at idle for 3 minutes was not good. I can't say for certain if it damaged the cam, but it certainly didn't help. Cam break in instructions want the RPM up to 2000 as soon as you start the engine. They do this to get plenty of oil splashing on the cam shaft.
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

Yes'' I seen Jeff, squirt motor oil on the lifters, while there was in his hand, and he put the lifter in, one at a time, useing a hand held squirt pump.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

that's gonna be your problem. you need to use the moly lube you get with your cam and lifters
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

x2. Oil should not be use to lube the foot of the lifter or the cam shaft lobe. On the sides of the lifter it should be fine. A dark grey moly lube should be used on the lifter foot and cam shaft lobes.
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

Thanks Guys'' I'm sure that had a little to do with it, and also the parts that was used'' plus me turning off the truck did'nt help maters either.
You see this guy bought the cheppest parts he could find, has any one ever heard of clevite selling cams'' I'M sure thats what he told me !
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I've heard of Clevite cams used before for stock engine rebuilds.
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

SilverXJ wrote:I've heard of Clevite cams used before for stock engine rebuilds.

Mum, How much is a cam & lifter set from Clevite ?
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

Well, got my motor put back in and every thing is running good, Jeff put in new lifters and rockers at there shop, becouse we where hearing some flat lifers and did an oil change
so everything is running good , so far'' so good'' :mrgreen:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

When were new lifters put in? After you broke the new cam in or before?
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

after the new cam an lifters, the lifters started going flat at 15 mins in the cam brake in, I drove it around 1 day an the lifters where sounding worse so he drove it over to his shop
and was wondering why the oil pressure was so low, then he removed the oil pan to look an found the the oil pump plate bolts where not tight, and them he rememberd he forgot to finsh
tightening the bolts. So as the results with low oil press, it flaten the springs in the lifters, so he put in new lifters and rockers arms, put it all together fired it up an did a new cam brake in
for 2000 at 20 mins, changed the oil an drove it back to my house. So far it been running very good but Iam still testing it and takeing it on some hard drives, to be sure it will take the long runs.
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

WJ 2000 wrote:after the new cam an lifters, the lifters started going flat at 15 mins in the cam brake in, I drove it around 1 day an the lifters where sounding worse so he drove it over to his shop
and was wondering why the oil pressure was so low, then he removed the oil pan to look an found the the oil pump plate bolts where not tight, and them he rememberd he forgot to finsh
tightening the bolts. So as the results with low oil press, it flaten the springs in the lifters, so he put in new lifters and rockers arms, put it all together fired it up an did a new cam brake in
for 2000 at 20 mins, changed the oil an drove it back to my house. So far it been running very good but Iam still testing it and takeing it on some hard drives, to be sure it will take the long runs.
Well this motor still has a little ticking sound, but Jeff says that its fine, :bs: I dont like it becouse it does not sound butter smooth like it did once :doh:
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

Also will these strokers preform better with a flowmaster 2.5 cat exhust, becouse I dont wanta lose any torque'' I dont care about horse power'' I want more torque.........
Theres stilling a ticking underneath sounds like exhust,,, or injectors,,, I did retorque the manifold bolts and exhust / header bolts and the sound is still there !