Expert advice

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: GC/WJ

Expert advice

Post by WJ 2000 »

Ok heres what we got, a broken skirt and my machinist didn't put in the best pistons he could of, but I pad for the work and now he's paying for it'' and some thank that he didn't
dish out the positions right anyways. So now its on his own dime' and I've picked out a better piston choice SP - H802CP or SP 677CP I really dont know wich piston is better but
maybe some here will, chime in for some advice, and I'm adding to the list a rollmaster timing set on this rebuild / rebuild LoL''' and I need to find a good cam that will work with
BD2 for 2000 jeep stock computer,an stock rockers an springs. I really dont want to sit my machinist back to far'' but he kind of owe's me for messing this motor up plus my time for
repulling and re-installing my motor, with only 1730 miles on it, I'm not asking for any money, I just want some better parts, so I need some advice on a cam, that will work with a 2000
BD2 system and stock valve train. Thanks guys''
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Expert advice

Post by Cheromaniac »

I suggest you keep the stock cam and run 677CP pistons. You'll be very happy with the glass smooth idle, tremendous low rev torque, good gas mileage, and the ability to run low octane fuel.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
unlimitedrubicon
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by unlimitedrubicon »

My vote is for the Mopar Performance P4529229AC cam. It pulls hard all the way to redline in my 5000lb 2005 LJ with 35s and IC944 pistons at zero deck.

Adv. Duration: 248/248
Overlap: 32
Centerline: 108
Lift: .440/.440 -- works great with stock valve springs
4.0 RPM range: 1100-4800 -- will be slightly lower in a stroker
herbiehind
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by herbiehind »

i couldn't find 677's so i went with 802's . taller piston but only .007 . will still be around 9.25 compr.
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

unlimitedrubicon wrote:My vote is for the Mopar Performance P4529229AC cam. It pulls hard all the way to redline in my 5000lb 2005 LJ with 35s and IC944 pistons at zero deck.

Adv. Duration: 248/248
Overlap: 32
Centerline: 108
Lift: .440/.440 -- works great with stock valve springs
4.0 RPM range: 1100-4800 -- will be slightly lower in a stroker
What timeing set did you use
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

WJ 2000 wrote:Ok heres what we got, a broken skirt and my machinist didn't put in the best pistons he could of, but I pad for the work and now he's paying for it'' and some thank that he didn't
dish out the positions right anyways. So now its on his own dime' and I've picked out a better piston choice SP - H802CP or SP 677CP I really dont know wich piston is better but
maybe some here will, chime in for some advice, and I'm adding to the list a rollmaster timing set on this rebuild / rebuild LoL''' and I need to find a good cam that will work with
BD2 for 2000 jeep stock computer,an stock rockers an springs. I really dont want to sit my machinist back to far'' but he kind of owe's me for messing this motor up plus my time for
repulling and re-installing my motor, with only 1730 miles on it, I'm not asking for any money, I just want some better parts, so I need some advice on a cam, that will work with a 2000
BD2 system and stock valve train. Thanks guys''
Well I'm stomped'' I just got back from my machinist shop, and what I thought was a broken piston skirt,it was groud off lifter I' dont bleave it'' heres the pics'' The engine blocks good
the pistons heads look good, we pulled off a rod cap and looked the the bearing'' Mum'' I did'nt like it, so we pulled a main cap and looked and I did'nt like it eather.
So I'll have to pay for a new cam an lifter set plus the bearing set'', we also pulled the cap for the oil pump and it look's Ok, but I can't find any info on the clevite cam ?
So its my falt becouse I' did'nt brake in the cam properly ? so I broke in the cam @ 2000 rpm for 15 to 20 minutes , But in the frist start'' I turned off the motor to check my fliud levels
befor I started the can breakin period ''''''' Mum wow'' Ok''' what can I say''
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

2 more pics''
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
unlimitedrubicon

Wow! That must have been one unhappy lifter... You may want to have your machinist verify the lifter bores are not out of round or otherwised messed up. Also, verify your spring pressures are not too high.

I used the Cloyes double roller set 9-3127 along with the cam, bolt, pin, and spring from the dealership.
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

where do you find OEM jeep camshaft for a 2000 Grand cherokee and a double roller timeing set ?
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

I check them out there for a 97 motor Cloyes double roller set 9-3127
unlimitedrubicon

If you want to stick with stock you can probably order it through the dealer. If you want to go with a performance cam like is recommended here, or the Mopar Performance cam I used you need to make a few changes. Our newer blocks are designed for a thrust-plate retention that bolts to the block and keeps the cam from coming forward, but unfortunately no one makes aftermarket cams for that style.

To change over a new block to an old style cam:
Parts needed:
Timing cover from a pre-thrust-plate block.
Double roller timing set - I used a Cloyes 9-3127
Cam washer -- Mopar J3173284 $3.30 from dealer
Cam Bolt Pin and Spring -- Mopar 83502890 $7.30 from dealer

Steps necessary:
1. Remove the thrust-plate assembly and store in a ziploc bag in case you change your mind in the future.
2. Install cam using the proper timing set, washer, bolt, pin and spring.
3. Use the old-style timing cover to ensure proper spring preload due to the dimple in the cover if your existing cover does not have one in line with the camshaft. All of the block holes will line up with the timing cover and the gasket will work (Felpro did) however you will probably need to use the longer bolts from the timing cover donor engine or a quick trip to the hardware store. If your alternator mounts at the top on the passenger side similiar to the TJ, there is a large unused bolt hole that needs to be trimmed down to make clearance for the alternator bracket.
unlimitedrubicon

FYI -- this all worked for a 2005 and I was told it could not be done by Mopar Performance... Less than $25 and you have all of the change over parts.
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

Wow Thanks man'' I've been looking at these pics, and if you take some time, and look at all the lifter heads, some have a worn in circle in them and some dont''
one on the table next to the good lifters looks like its starting to cave in, look at pic 2,, look at third for the lift, I seem to thank thats its not the unproper brake in
period, mybe push rod length is to long,, or valve spring is to tight ?? our the spring pressure is to strong . Well I know this '' something is hitting these lifters pretty hard
or there just crapy lifters :huh:
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

I hope some xeperts chime in soon, I really need a good theory to night , why these lifters look all beaten up !
WJ 2000
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by WJ 2000 »

Sorry for the bad spelling, but I was very mad, and had 3 beers, and could'nt see stright'' Lol