Thermostat

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Thermostat

Post by aaronkeiser »

I'm in the home stretch collecting my parts and information. When it comes to the thermostat I know if you put in a cooler thermo it will help ping. I'm wondering if its really that important to run a cooler thermo when the stock motor was ment to run at 200ish degrees. What im saying is if you have no cooling problems can you just stick with the stock thermo? That way you won't have to mess with the wiring to make you engine run right with the lower degree thermo.
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Thermostat

Post by John »

I am running a 180 degree thermostat in a off road only 4.6, still runs above slightly 200 degrees where it likes it, but I doesn't overshoot it much on warm up. The temps on the thermostat indicate the coolant temperature that it opens to circulate coolant. With the 195 thermostat it got hotter than I wanted before starting to drop. My DD likes the 195 degree best. It is getting much more air at highway speeds. Do you know the aspirin trick? Used to keep the system from air locking when filling coolant or changing a thermostat.
John
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

John wrote:I am running a 180 degree thermostat in a off road only 4.6, still runs above slightly 200 degrees where it likes it, but I doesn't overshoot it much on warm up. The temps on the thermostat indicate the coolant temperature that it opens to circulate coolant. With the 195 thermostat it got hotter than I wanted before starting to drop. My DD likes the 195 degree best. It is getting much more air at highway speeds. Do you know the aspirin trick? Used to keep the system from air locking when filling coolant or changing a thermostat.
John
Please elaborate.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

Im guessing you prop the thermo open with an aspirin, fill the cooling system, and when it gets hot the pill just dissolves?
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
John

Post by John »

That is it, warm the thermostat in a pan of water until it opens, remove &b dry off, slip a aspirin between the body and the plate at the top of the unit while it is cooling. Assemble and fill the system with coolant. The I6 can normally trap more air.... The aspirin will dissolve after a short time and wont hurt a thing. Can save you some anguish.
John
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Cool trick thanks
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Muad'Dib wrote:Cool trick thanks
Vary coool trick. I normally remove the temp sensor, from the back of the block, to get the air purged out.....................But John's way, makes no mess on the ground :cheers:

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
John

Post by John »

Keep leaving the sending unit out of the head until you start getting fluid at that point and then install. Surely I am not the only one that finds this motor a pain to get the air out. Remember the character Joe Bitzfig in Lil Abner, ...........Kin folk.
John
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

Wow, Lil Abner, haven't heard that name in a while. Another trick is to drill a small hole in the plate of the thermostat. Small hole allows air to move past the thermostat. I like the aspirin trick, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
John

Post by John »

That bleed hole is a valuable trick, yeah Little Abner, but I destroyed the spelling of Joes name. If you check this out you will see the character I was talking about, and why I have trouble getting the trapped air out of any build.http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/merch ... oe.btfsplk
John
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by aaronkeiser »

Ok so that clears up ways to help prim up your cooling system but what about the stock thermostat temp (195). How many people run this thermostat in their stroker? It seems like if you run a 180 thermostat that you couldn't dial in the fuel as good.
Flash

Post by Flash »

aaronkeiser wrote:Ok so that clears up ways to help prim up your cooling system but what about the stock thermostat temp (195). How many people run this thermostat in their stroker? It seems like if you run a 180 thermostat that you couldn't dial in the fuel as good.
The fuel injection relies on the t-state to keep it at 195.............Every thing is figured around it, in the ECM.
A longer stroke shouldn't change this.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
John

Post by John »

And that is why I earlier stated to start with the 195 thermostat and vary only if you need to.
John
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by aaronkeiser »

Ok thats what I was thinking. I had a problem not to long ago with my thermostat where it would stick closed and the temp would go up to almost the red then plummet back to normal. Obviously the thermo was sticking closed and a new ones fixed this problem. My dad told me of these certain thermostats...i forget the name...where they actually stick open if they ever fail...not closed like the stock replacements do. Do you guys recall who sells them. I thought I may have seen them on summit but they only came in 160 and 180.
John

Post by John »

Autozone advertises a failsafe 195 degree thermostat (160, 180,195 degree). Never used one myself so can't advise on these. I have only had one thermostat fail in use, it failed stuck closed.
John