Thermostat

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Re: Thermostat

Post by oletshot »

XJ's aren't really known for their cooling systems (at least not in a good way, that is). The 180* thermostat may only change how long it takes for yours to reach normal operating temperature, especially in the summer months. A lower temp t-stat can only keep the temp at a lower level if the system is efficient enough to keep it there. In other words, it will only make a difference if, without a t-stat at all, the temp never exceeds 195*. Mine in the summer runs at about 200*, so a 180* t-stat wouldn't help me. It may help more if you had the 3 core radiator.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

Yeah, the only time a 180* t-state helps temp, is when it's winter and it's not helping then either :lol:

Every body talks about Hi temp with a XJ..........Mine never runs above 200* and that's with thed DREADED 89 "close coolant system" and a radiator with green stains all over the radiator!.............................Part of it, I'm sure, is the fact that a DANGEROUS heat wave, around here, is 95*F :doh: :cheers:

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
John
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Is that radiator green green because it is a copper core. or is it green due to hygiene issues? 95 degree heat wave, sounds like the Northwest, Linda is from Coeur d'Alene.
Hot wet muggy summers here tax motors and air conditioners. That system runs better overall above 200 degrees, and if I remember correctly, the computer is really recognizing warm up completed at 180. I do what I whatever necessary to meet those conditions, usually the factory thermostat works just fine. Your fresh rebuilt motor will run warmer at first and then the temps will drop. Don't over think this.
John
Flash

Post by Flash »

:lol: Yeah, thats the key.........Humidity!!!!!!!!!

My radiator is green because it is copper and it got 300,000 miles on it.

I live in what would be called a HIGH desert climate(7,000 feet )
Every thing turns lush Green in the spring..............then goes Brown :|

Flash.
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by aaronkeiser »

What john just said is a reason why I asked about thermostats. When does the computer stop adjusting air/fuel/ timing at a certain temp? I would be happy to find out if the computer believes 180 is fully warmed up. What say you?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

aaronkeiser wrote:What john just said is a reason why I asked about thermostats. When does the computer stop adjusting air/fuel/ timing at a certain temp? I would be happy to find out if the computer believes 180 is fully warmed up. What say you?
I dont have anything difinitive, but i definetly think that the ECU makes it into closed loop when the temp is around 170-180 degrees. At least thats the way my RENIX acts.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
John

Post by John »

From the 1999 FSM, "A warm up cycle is counted when the ECT (engine coolant temperature sensor) has crossed 160 degrees F and has risen at least 40 degrees F since the engine has been started."
That's OBDII, If someone has a OBDI I hope they check this and post.
John
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

I have a 180* in there now, since the Jet stage 2 chip requests that(probably to control pinging due to the advance), but I'm gonna go with the 195* on the stroker. I want to be further away from the closed/open loop warm-up temp. It runs 195*+ in the city anyhow and on the highway there's enough air to keep it cool. I'm gonna be running dual electrics on the stroker, so the city temp might come down a bit.