Titan Strokers...

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
BLHTAZ
Noob
Noob

Titan Strokers...

Post by BLHTAZ »

OK...I'll start this forum out.

I am new to the group and the stroker idea. I know the basics of what it is and have many years of experience in the auto industry in various fields, so I am not completely ignorant. I am looking for opinions on the Titan strokers. I live in Florida and am only about 1.5 hours away from Ocala where they are located. I am thinking of putting one in our '95 YJ. I know 3 people that have used their engines now with great success...SO...what is the opinion of the more knowledgeable stroker crowd.

Thanks for all input... Image
eliv1
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"

Re: Titan Strokers...

Post by eliv1 »

Welcome to STROKERS!

I have no exprience with Titan, mainly since im from israel, but... there's a big thread going on lately on the Yahoo group,
of a failed Titan Stroker... and some pitiful service by Titan... im sure the owner of that engine will enlighten us more here, but I just have to say... beware...

if your a exprienced enough with auto parts, why not put together a stroker of your own? it would be much cheaper and more satisfiying... I know I did.

Good luck!
88 CJ8, 4.5L Stroker ,P&P Head ,Compcam 68-231-4 cam , 4.0L Junkyard MPI , 99 Intake, Borla Header,2.5" Flowmaster + piping,Electric Fans;SUA 4" lift on 33" tires ;4.11's Dana 44 F&R LockRight , High Steer with CTM's ;OBA;Full Cage.
BLHTAZ
Noob
Noob

Post by BLHTAZ »

eliv1 wrote:Welcome to STROKERS!

I have no exprience with Titan, mainly since im from israel, but... there's a big thread going on lately on the Yahoo group,
of a failed Titan Stroker... and some pitiful service by Titan... im sure the owner of that engine will enlighten us more here, but I just have to say... beware...

if your a exprienced enough with auto parts, why not put together a stroker of your own? it would be much cheaper and more satisfiying... I know I did.

Good luck!
Thanks...that's why I am here...to start learning all I can before jumping in to something and getting screwed ;) .
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

I agree there's at least one person on the Yahoo list who seems to be having a lot of problems with Titan... On the other hand there are lots of people on NAXJA who had positive experiences. I've also seen people complaining about Golen built strokers. I don't know that the problems people have are necessarily only the engine builders fault...

The great thing about the internet is shared experiences "word of mouth" happens instantly and everyone who wants to can find out about a product or service. The bad thing is that one person's experience can hold a lot of weight whether it's representative or a fluky worst case series of foul ups.

There was a thread about HESCO on JU (Jeeps Unlimited) from one of the mods, who bought their Aluminum head, the guy stuck it on a well worn in engine with no tuning and then went ABSOLUTELY APE SHIT on JU's forums because he didn't get the horse power number HESCO got... Litterally a whole HERD of Jeepers were posting about how they would never buy a thing from HESCO...

Representative experience? Or one guy with unrealistic expectations ranting? Turns out the guy didn't even have the same compression ratio as the test engine among other things... He had no business expecting the same power. And he was being naive not expecting HESCO's numbers to be optimal results from a perfectly tuned engine.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

DO NOT BUY A TITAN STROKER!!! I have one.. its the second one they built for me. The first one had a knock so I drove 6 hours to Florida to have them replace it. 300 miles on the way back it started to tick. Cam shaft whiped out and one of the push rods ate through a roller rocker. Not to mention that they installed the wrong cam to begin with. They didn't break the cam in correctly among other problems. Plus they didn't install the larger valves they said they would. There have been so many problems with the two engine they built me.

It has now been over two months since my engine failed and they still haven't sent me the correct parts. They have horrible support for a crappy product.
BLHTAZ
Noob
Noob

Post by BLHTAZ »

I always look at all aspects. So far the feedback I am getting is 75% in favor of Titan, but it will be a while before any decision is made and from what I have heard, the opinions of members of this group should be highly considered so please keep them coming.
Wrambler
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by Wrambler »

BLHTAZ wrote:I always look at all aspects. So far the feedback I am getting is 75% in favor of Titan, but it will be a while before any decision is made and from what I have heard, the opinions of members of this group should be highly considered so please keep them coming.
My take is that, why would Titan not take the time to make sure the second engine was done right???
This guy, who has been around for a while, drove 6 hours to have them do the work.
They signed off on the second engine and it was ticking before it made it home?
Plus he found the parts inside to not match what was represented.
That just plain scares me :o
Mark
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L,H.O efi, T5
1997 XJ Sport, 4.0L, AX15
2004 WJ 4.7L,V8, Airraid Jr, Dynomax ultraflo, addco rear sway.
1965 Ambassador Convertible, rustbucket, Resident Evil, can't get it done, can't kill it...
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Comanche91 »

Wrambler wrote:
BLHTAZ wrote:I always look at all aspects. So far the feedback I am getting is 75% in favor of Titan, but it will be a while before any decision is made and from what I have heard, the opinions of members of this group should be highly considered so please keep them coming.
My take is that, why would Titan not take the time to make sure the second engine was done right???
This guy, who has been around for a while, drove 6 hours to have them do the work.
They signed off on the second engine and it was ticking before it made it home?
Plus he found the parts inside to not match what was represented.
That just plain scares me :o
X2. IF my Hesco stroker ever fails, I know it will be repaired - gratis. Been going strong for +2 years now, so no worries. This has been discussed ad nauseum; bottom line - if I was in the market for an stroker engine builder who stands behind their product, damn sure it would not be Titan.
91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

I wouldn't buy a titan either, the problem is there are several people on NAXJA who's nicknames I have seen around just as much as Chris' on the email list; who have nothing but good things to say... How do you reconcile that if you're in the market for a $2000 dollar stroker long block?
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

with all the negative feedback about titan i feel it would be wiser to build your own stroker to your own specifications. that way you will know all the parts are top notch and if something fails you will know what to change next time. there is no replacement for having all the input for your own build.
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

1bolt wrote:a $2000 dollar stroker long block?
Titan basically charged me $2600 for a short block minus the cam, timing and push rods (supplied by me). I didn't find out until later that they didn't do anything to my head.

To recap Titan's incopentance:
-No build sheet
-First engine noisy
-Second engine failed:
-Cam fried -- most likely due to improper break in
-Push rod ate through lifter
-Wrong cam used
-Cam shaft bolt missing pin and spring
-Engine assembled dirty evident by scratches on roller rocker's tips and on bearings
-Second engine still in pieces as Titan hasn't sent me all the parts to put it back together yet
-Titan never return phone calls nor responds to emails (I know those bastards are getting them too)

And if you want to wander to the Hesco board this thread documents my experience starting with teh first noisy engine: http://www.hesco.us/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=711&PN=2

-Chris
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

Post Posted February 15th, 2008, 9:54 pm by gamjunior
Ok just joined here, thanks Brent for letting me know about this. ;) I have a Titan 4.7 and have had it for almost 2 years come this summer. I personally have had no problems with it (knock on wood) but I have had a problem with spark knock.
<snip>

Gam I moved the question about ping and fuel over to Tech, and left your comment about Titan and pinging here.

Apparently from what I've seen a lot of people have ping problems from Golen, HESCO asnd Titan... of course a lot of us have ping problems from our own builds.
--
Simon
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Heck, my stock engine pinged with just a K&N.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

OBVIOUSLY Titan's good to bad ratio is pretty HIGH in the good ratio.............I WOULD NOT BUY FROM THEM, JUST BECAUSE OF THE HORIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Take care of your customers, or soon you will not have any to take care of!!!!!!!! :smack:

Flash.
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
mhead

Post by mhead »

I've had a bad experience. You can read it at

http://www.naxja.org

Tread title is Stroker: Titan Engine: My Story

search for this or for mhead as a poster.

My advice is to find a good local shop, get a tried-and-true design, do it locally. The power is worth it!