stock pistons

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Chris
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board

stock pistons

Post by Chris »

Read somewhere that the stock pistons on the 4.0 could be dished out safely to 29-30 cc's and still have .250 left. Don't know if this is true or not, but if it is and someone is not having to bore the cylinders, this could be a fairly cheap way to go. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I'm looking at boring out .030, so won't work for me, but maybe someone going with the 4.5L this could be an easy way to help with compression.
I saw that coming, yet I did nothing to stop it....why do I fear success...

..,====,o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---\_l__l---
[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: stock pistons

Post by Flash »

Chris wrote:Read somewhere that the stock pistons on the 4.0 could be dished out safely to 29-30 cc's and still have .250 left. Don't know if this is true or not, but if it is and someone is not having to bore the cylinders, this could be a fairly cheap way to go. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I'm looking at boring out .030, so won't work for me, but maybe someone going with the 4.5L this could be an easy way to help with compression.
I have hered of this being done......But not to 30 :o :o :o
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

This is my build. Not dished to 30cc's. Stock pistons dished to 23cc's, thinnest spot on the dish is .250" going almost up to .300" thick in spots. Because the inside of the piston is not machined, it isn't flat, so getting an actual thickness is hard. Static compression works out to about 9.0:1 with the .043" head gasket and quench matches stock 4.0L. You could dish a little more, maybe 25-26cc's as the area that was at .250" thick was a small dimpled area in the center of the piston. If you average it out it was probably about .275" thick. I don't see a need to go to 30cc's unless you planned on decking the block to get even better quench. My stroker is assembled except for new rockers (thanks flash for pointing out the need for new rockers when lift is changed, I never would have thought of that), but it will be awhile before I have any results to post. It's a replacement for my son's 2.5L YJ. I donated the drivetrain and paid for the stroker build, but it's his job to buy the required swap parts, which we have zero of.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

That's why I'm just now considering the Yella Terra's, since I have to buy new rockers for the higher lift.
Flash

Post by Flash »

It's real funny about that comment, as I too, had never put that together until the middle of that post, it just popped in, out of no were :mrgreen: ...........and realize it was a vary good point to put out there.

I have hered time and time again of noisy valve trains,(that developed after a stroker build) and how much quiter they became when they Switch to a aftermarket roller rocker arms.......But, up to that moment, i had just chalked it up to the preload of the lifter being check closer and adj being done when the rolle rocker arms were put one.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."