Stock cam question

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Stock cam question

Post by gradon »

The stock valve springs are good to .43" lift. The mopar 28ab has .43" lift and I've read that it is similar to stock specs.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

O, and here is the simulater that i bought, about 1/3 of the way down the page and 1/2 way down.

I bought the DynoSim and the DragSim w advance tools(If i ever figure out all the stuff in mine i will up date it to the pro Tools
And payed FULL price.........Now there on sale for Half price. :smack:

I'm Pretty sure that "ProRacing Sim" bought-out Desk Top Dyno.......and is what there basic program is called
If you have registered your 03 version they will up date you for less then you can buy it......well...........Take a look and you will see what i mean.
http://www.proracingsim.com/purchasejac2.htm

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
John
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

No offense taken, I am here to learn also. I checked my notes and those numbers came from data at Yahoo group Jeep power. Give me a little while and I will pull up and compare the other data and I will let you know. I don't have much on the 90 - 95 cam .
anyway I'll compare and shout back.
John
Flash

Post by Flash »

John wrote:No offense taken, I am here to learn also. I checked my notes and those numbers came from data at Yahoo group Jeep power. Give me a little while and I will pull up and compare the other data and I will let you know. I don't have much on the 90 - 95 cam .
anyway I'll compare and shout back.
John
Thanks
Do appreciate you time ;)

Flash

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Flash

Post by Flash »

Using the spec's that John gave on the previous page and the spec's that i have for the Renix cam.........and figure in the DCR with 9.4 SCR.............DCR was .771:1 lower with the Renix cam.................How ever, when running then on my DynoSim.....Renix make more Hp all the way thru BUT the HO Cam made more torque by 27 fpt, and basically keep a head of the Renix cam, by that much, all the way up to max torque(which came on or maxed, 500 Rpm sooner(3500 rpm))

Just FYI ;)

Flash

John

Post by John »

Flash those files are on the way.
John
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by aaronkeiser »

Im set on running a stock cam and im sure I want the 96+ cam. Im building a 91 XJ motor thats going into a 91 YJ. Im buying from Elgin and I noticed they had two different part numbers for the newer 96+ cams. One that goes from 96-98 and the other is from 99-04. Which one do I go with? I though I remembered someone saying they have compatability issues in different blocks. Can anyone shed some light?
Flash

Post by Flash »

aaronkeiser wrote:Im set on running a stock cam and im sure I want the 96+ cam. Im building a 91 XJ motor thats going into a 91 YJ. Im buying from Elgin and I noticed they had two different part numbers for the newer 96+ cams. One that goes from 96-98 and the other is from 99-04. Which one do I go with? I though I remembered someone saying they have compatability issues in different blocks. Can anyone shed some light?
there was two different cam dezines on the 4.0L the early version had a spring and pint in the middle of the cam/sprocket bolt, that push agence the timing cover to keep the cam steady.

The later, version had a cam plate the bolted to the block that keep the the cam in place.

You can put a early cam in a late block but not the other way around.

there's more to it but that basically was going on.

Flash

aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by aaronkeiser »

So your saying if I have an early block, which is what I have, I cant used the newed style stock cam?
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

He's saying you can use the 96-98 version.
Flash

Post by Flash »

If you look in any after market catalog, that sells 4.0L cam, they don't have a listing for late 4.0L version. But, if you read the notes at the bottom of the page, it will tell you that the early version will work if you us the early version timing change set w/early version bolt that has a spring loaded pin in the center of the cam bolt that pushes agence the time cover to keep it in place.

I'm ASSuMEing here but, i would imagine that you could put a late model cam in a early eng but would require, that the timing change set for the late model (one has a pin to locate the cam sprocket, and one has a key way) and the bolt with a spring loaded pin, from the early version.

I thought that it was 99 when the block was changed to use the cam plate design to hold the cam in place, but other have said that it 96.
Any one know for sure on this? :huh:

Flash

John

Post by John »

According to this article 1999. http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... index.html
John