Newbie with some questions

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bigern26

Newbie with some questions

Post by bigern26 »

First of all I would like to say Hi to all.
Ok I just found a 258 out of a amc eagle, the person who owns it might give me the whole motor or let me gut it.
What parts should I grab?
I am planning on building a reliable stroker with a 4.0 ho block. I want something reliable for trail and street and
only burning 87 octane if possible.
What is a good setup for this?
Any special block,head,intake,piston,rod,crank,cam?
I'm sorry for all the questions at once but I don't want to keep bugging people for the same thing day after day>
FrankZ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6l

Re: Newbie with some questions

Post by FrankZ »

Connecting rods and crankshaf are all you need from the 258.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

What year of 4.0L are you planing on stroking?

Crank, rods,..........Harmonic balancer if its in good shape......

there is many option on building a stroker..........How much you want to spend on it!
The cheapest route will not get you the compression ratio that will support 87 octane fuel...............

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
bigern26

Post by bigern26 »

well i am not to sure of the year but it will be in the 90's
as far a cost i dont really know what my budget is but i dont want to
go to cheap but also not to expencive.
Really just loking for something that can be built without breaking the bank, but also be relaible
on the trail and the highway.
Flash

Post by Flash »

bigern26 wrote:well i am not to sure of the year but it will be in the 90's
as far a cost i dont really know what my budget is but i dont want to
go to cheap but also not to expencive.
Really just loking for something that can be built without breaking the bank, but also be relaible
on the trail and the highway.
Hmmm well if and when the KB piston become available and are a reasonable price..........I would by the lower compression option of the two and us your 4.0L rods and the 258 crank bearings and matching rings.

At this point you have to decide what head (Renix up to 90) early HO 91-98? or late HO head

Then you will need to choose a intake manifold(the one that matches the year vehicle it going into will be the easiest way here)
By the way......What vehicle is this stroker going into?

You can use the stock exh manifold(If its not cracked) but a header will perform better!

now you have decided on you head........you need to decide on a cam and the matching lifters........and spring pressure to match.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
bigern26

Post by bigern26 »

Hmmm well if and when the KB piston become available and are a reasonable price..........I would by the lower compression option of the two and us your 4.0L rods and the 258 crank bearings and matching rings.

At this point you have to decide what head (Renix up to 90) early HO 91-98? or late HO head

Then you will need to choose a intake manifold(the one that matches the year vehicle it going into will be the easiest way here)
By the way......What vehicle is this stroker going into?

You can use the stock exh manifold(If its not cracked) but a header will perform better!

now you have decided on you head........you need to decide on a cam and the matching lifters........and spring pressure to match.

Flash
The block will not be a Renix it will either be a early HO or a late HO, I havent found out what year yet.
Intake and head will be same ad the block.
I have no clue about the cam or lifters or anything like that.