Cam Failure

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: Cam Failure

Post by John »

Flash wrote:
4point6 wrote:Pro guys bushthe lifter bores, but most homebuilders just dust the bore with a brake-hone to make the bore smoother and remove varnish. If there's morethan 0.001-0.0015-inch clearance, you could be in trouble." But Comp'sGodbold counters, "We see the same type [of] problems whether it's abrand-new CNC-machined Dart block or a junkyard block."
Just another thought and place to check!!!!"

Flash
Tappet bore size should be 23 - 23.025 mm or .9055" - .9065"
John
Flash

Post by Flash »

Not trying to mess up you pull..............but i don't thing there is a stroker W/aftermarket cam, that has made it past 30,000 Miles :huh:

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

There are a few over on NAXJA that have. I cant remember any user names, but I know theyre around.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Flash

Post by Flash »

Thats cool.......Vary cool, Now all we need to know is what cam and valve spring they have used....................or whats different with theres, compared to the ones that have failed................................

Flash

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

A guy who goes by xj-grin has 65k on his with the 905 crane and crane springs. When I called crane to see what spring they recommended for the 905 they said "the stock which is rated to .500" lift." He got his built by Accurate power, who is out of business.

jeepinwi on here also has the 905 with stock springs, and after just tearing into it said there was .003" difference between the lobes.

Bluecuda has 25k on his crane 901 with reused stock springs with 219k on them. Still not over 30k, but its close.

old_man has also has 25k on his 901 with crane springs, which Im assuming are also rated at .500" of lift.

This may be off topic, but has anyone simply rebuilt their 4.0 and used an aftermarket cam, but not stroked it?
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Flash

Post by Flash »

seanyb505 wrote:A guy who goes by xj-grin has 65k on his with the 905 crane and crane springs. When I called crane to see what spring they recommended for the 905 they said "the stock which is rated to .500" lift." He got his built by Accurate power, who is out of business.

jeepinwi on here also has the 905 with stock springs, and after just tearing into it said there was .003" difference between the lobes.

Bluecuda has 25k on his crane 901 with reused stock springs with 219k on them. Still not over 30k, but its close.

old_man has also has 25k on his 901 with crane springs, which Im assuming are also rated at .500" of lift.
This all sound vary incuraging.......key here seam to be stock spring rate

This may be off topic, but has anyone simply rebuilt their 4.0 and used an aftermarket cam, but not stroked it?

After reading this link......that was posted above,
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... index.html

I can't help but thing, the imported lifter, that got spread far and wide.............and was installed into most cam company's(Weather they admitted it or not) has caused the hit and miss failer........and stuff like the oil formula change just amplified the problem.
From the article GM was the only one that didn't git involve in it as they are a lifter manufacture then self.

I thing the only way you could guarantee that you lifter were made and heat treaded properly is if you got then directly from GM................Unforcanitly, GM uses the smallest diameter of lifter of the BIG THREE so i don't thing that is an option.

Flash

gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I remember reading 2-3mos ago of someone on NAXJA that put a cam in and bored it out .030." I probably saw it on a search, so it might be way older than that.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

The problem about the stock spring rate, in those cases, is that Crane says it is .500" but from the research Ive done its actually .430". It seems Crane themselves are a little off, but the Crane springs work. Frankz, Im sure you have mentioned it eslewhere, which springs were you using?
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

FrankZ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6l

Post by FrankZ »

Chevy Small Block springs. The shop has the head to double check the spring pressure for me. I'll post the results when I get them.
Flash

Post by Flash »

FrankZ wrote:Chevy Small Block springs. The shop has the head to double check the spring pressure for me. I'll post the results when I get them.
So does your new cam have more or less lift then the Crane cam?

Vary curious to see the spec's and what they recommend.............................

seanyb505, I thing, what crane was talking about, was the stock spring would hold .500" lift...........which I'm not sure is true :oops:

Flash

FrankZ
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by FrankZ »

Original stroker cam was a Crane 73905:

Lift: ADV Duration
Intake 260 °
Exhaust 272 °

New cam is a Crower Baja Beast (P/N 44915)

Lift: ADV Duration
Intake 280°
Exhaust 280°
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

So what are the lift specs(gotta be close to .5, with that much duration)?
FrankZ
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by FrankZ »

Crower is .448"/.448"
http://www.crower.com/misc/m_cat.shtml

Crane
http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show ... vl=2&prt=5
Intake @Cam 2847 @Valve 456
Exhaust @ Cam 3027 @Valve 484
All Lifts are based on zero lash and theoretical rocker arm ratios.
Rocker Arm Ratio 1.6
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Flash wrote:Not trying to mess up you pull..............but i don't thing there is a stroker W/aftermarket cam, that has made it past 30,000 Miles :huh: Flash
Mine made it to 34k miles when I had my cam failure (Crane 753905), and that's the highest mileage that I know of for a stroker cam failure. Since then I've been running the stock cam with stock valve springs for the last 13k miles.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Chris
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board

Post by Chris »

Kind of a stupid question, but when the cam does fail, what all needs to be replaced. Is it just the cam, lifter, rocker arms, or does it usually take out more with it? Are the cam bearings usually ok?
I saw that coming, yet I did nothing to stop it....why do I fear success...

..,====,o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---\_l__l---
[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___