Rough Start

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Rough Start

Post by SilverXJ »

I have a rough cold start issue on my 4.6 stroker, 2000 XJ. Occasionally it gets so bad that it throws a mis fire code. All other times it is fine except idle where there is a ever so slight misfire, not enough to throw a code, but you can hear it a bit. I am running NGK plugs, one or two heat ranges colder than stock IIRC, ZFR6F11 gapped to .040". I also have the stock injectors, but it runs a good AFR at WOT. Its only for the first 30 seconds of start up or so. The rough start doesn't bother me. What does is the engine light by the mis fire. Any ideas?
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Rough Start

Post by Flash »

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if fuel pressure bleed off after you turn it off for 10 minutes

If the pressure drops more then 5 psi......you might have a leaking injector that dribbled down to the intake valve and puddles on the piston when started...........

My be too cold of a plug :huh:

Injector o-ring sucking air when cold :huh:

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Could be injectors, could be plugs, could be the coil rail. So far I have only noticed it on cylinder #2, the mis fire that is. Can't if that is the only cylinder that starts rough or not. If it is a injector bleeding down, wouldn't it take a few cranks to build fuel pressure?
Flash

Post by Flash »

SilverXJ wrote:Could be injectors, could be plugs, could be the coil rail. So far I have only noticed it on cylinder #2, the mis fire that is. Can't if that is the only cylinder that starts rough or not. If it is a injector bleeding down, wouldn't it take a few cranks to build fuel pressure?
Not necessarily, the fuel pump will cycle on for several sec.when you turn the key on.

You could also get some spair o-ring, in case you cut one removing it, and swap injector, and see of it changes with cylinder set the misfire code.

Sense it is only on cylinder setting the miss fire, remove the plug and check for a cracked poclein.............Could even be a spark plug wire that is shorting out when cold.

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Flash

Post by Flash »

SilverXJ,
When it sets a miss fire code(check eng light come on).......is it sylinder #3? And does it make/ have this same problem when shut off for ten minutes or so, after you have run it for a will and shut it down?

Flash

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

No, this isn't the TSB issue. I've had it twice so far on cylinder #2. It has only thrown a code twice. I have the heat shield TSB for the hot start and the PCM programing for the cold start. On the previous engine the cold start issue was fixed by the reprogram. This is something different.