Best Crankshaft Choice

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: Best Crankshaft Choice

Post by John »

It was a great price, I just fell into the trash and came out lucky.
John
mecompco
Noob
Noob

Post by mecompco »

fedrusion wrote:I thought the 50 I paid for a good 4.2 was a great price.
That's great--no machining required? With my luck I'd likely still have to pay out for that on top of the price for the used crank.
mecompco
Noob
Noob

Post by mecompco »

seanyb505 wrote:
mecompco wrote:
Cool! I'll specify I want the 4.0 main bearings. Thanks for the info.
It will come with the 4.2 bearings. I dont know if you can choose which bearings you want.
Which, as I understand it, we don't want to use. That's too bad--bearings are what, another $50-$70?
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

One thing to remember is the 4wt crank was used to drive auto's and manuals alike. It will work for both, so I personally wouldn't panic if you came across a 4wt for a good price or like in John's case "free", well almost free. If you have a choice then choose the one that works best for you. By the way 4.0 liter crank is a 4wt isn't it (I didn't count my weights, I KNOW it's not 12)?

As far as bearings go, the easiest way to get bearings that fit, is to order the ones for the year of your block. '87-'90 4.0 and 4.2 blocks use the same bearings. From what I understand it's the tab location that changes between years. I prefer Clevite myself, but probably because I like how the "tri-metal" hype reads more than actual experience between brands. :lol:
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
fedrusion
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board

Post by fedrusion »

50 is a great deal but 5.50 is simply amazing?
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by aaronkeiser »

Hey I was counting the number of counter weights on my 258 crank and it looks more like it has 6...2 in the middle next to each other then 2 on both ends. By the way, does anybody have a picture of the 12 counter weight one, i've read about it, and id like to see what the illusive crank looks like. Possibly compared to the other one.
76CJ5

Post by 76CJ5 »

Hope this helps. I don't have a mic. right now but I'll help in the comparison if I can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 CJ5 with no motor. Can't decide how to build a stroker. Thats why I am here.
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by aaronkeiser »

Thats pretty cool, 2 counter weight per piston. I wish I could have found one of these to use in my motor now but the amc eagle was the only 258 I could find the day at the junkyard. We'll I'm almost certain this won't be my last stroker I help build since my dads buddies have heard what we're doing and now they want us to build them a stroker.