Roller rockers vs valve cover

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Briancolirad
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7 l
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Roller rockers vs valve cover

Post by Briancolirad »

I have received lyer rockers on my stroker and am hitting on valve cover.. I have been told if I space the valve cover I do the same with t state housing..... Why? Anyone solved this with a cheap method.. I already removed pcv baffle.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Re: Roller rockers vs valve cover

Post by Russ Pottenger »

If you're running adjustable roller rockers you'll definitely need the spacers.
I sell my valve cover and thermostat spacer for $100.00, pluss you'll me an additional valve cover gasket.

If you have access to a Bridgeport and sacrificial cast cover you can make your own.

If you have a nonadjustable set in most cases they will clear without any modification. When I had cleaance problems it's usually the fasteners that hold the baffle.
Countersinking the holes with flush mounted Fasteners solves the problem.
Briancolirad
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Briancolirad »

Apologies for my encrypted first post. ( posted at work)
Thanks Russ. I need to see what it looks like in there, I'm working a ton right now and am garage less so I'm paying a mechanic to diagnose and work on it as its my DD . And it's a crate engine, so I didn't build it. (next time will be different )
They are not adjustable rockers, I know upon install they hit the baffle so I had the guy who installed the meter tap up baffle. As per the builder.
All was well till about 4k miles and now I hear nasty rattle. I took it to my new found, trusted
Mechanic to diagnose her. And other than a Leakey rear main.( Shame on you motor company!) the engine LOOKS Good and compression is good and 2 crank bearings were even pulled and checked.... All LOOKS, good..
OK. So now my mechanic takes my advice and checks clearance in valve cover...... Baffle was detached and hitting like he'll.
So at this point my options were limited, they removed baffle. And now slap or rattle sound is better but still there at about 3k rpm. Is this even possible to be the sound considering it was solid for 5 months and now is hitting? And it's worse when it's been driven about 20 min. It can't hurt to try the mod,bit tired of flushing money.
Anyways. Why do you need to space t-stat housing too.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

You'll have a little bit more valvetrain noise with the roller rockers than the stamped steel OEM style. That said, I think you have something else going on

If I'm understanding you correctly you mention it got worse after five months of driving and more pronounced after 20 minutes of running.
This isn't sounding like a rocker arm clearance issue.
Briancolirad
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Briancolirad »

I'm kinda with you, tho there was good scuffing on rockers and my mechanic isnt seeing anything else. Know a good stroker tech in denver co. I can't pull engine and let her sit. Its my DD.
Briancolirad
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Briancolirad »

I think I want the spacers you make. What is the soonest I can get it... Will the fasteners and baffle clear the non adjustable roller rocker with your spacer.