99+ intake question

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
ftpiercecracker1
I made it to triple digits!

99+ intake question

Post by ftpiercecracker1 »

Hi guys, just a quick question on the 99+ intake upgrade. On the older Renix systems, such as mine, the EGR solenoid/valve whatever mounts onto the side of the intake man, but on the 99+ intakes there is no such mount. I have done a significant amount of research on this problem with less than stellar results, is there a way to get around this without causing problems to the operation of the engine?

Repeat, i have the RENIX system and will be adding the 99+ intake, as well as the rest of the bolt on goods.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 99+ intake question

Post by Cheromaniac »

I don't think your engine would miss having the EGR around even if you deleted it altogether. Your engine's effectively going to become a HO with all the mods that you're doing and that engine didn't come with EGR. The only reason I can think of for keeping it is if your state requires it to satisfy the smog gestapo.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
ftpiercecracker1

Well that is part of the question, how would you delete the EGR, at least the electrical portion? What would you do with the electrical connector? Just let it hang out? Doesnt the computer read signals from the EGR?

As for the gestapo, I live way out in the boonies, most people dont even know how to spell emissions, much less check them :lol: .
gmakra
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by gmakra »

Which head ae you mounting this on if its a Renix head it has lower ports and I am not sure that it will fit up properly. If its a later head such as 0630, 7120 or the 0331 you will have no problems.

The 2000+ is a great intake are you keeping the 62 MM TB?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

On my RENIX i tossed the EGR stuff and blocked the vacuum ports. I removed the EGR Solenoid and just left the connector to it in place. Hasnt been an issue.

Im in Oregon though so i dont have to worry about Smog \ Visual Inspections. If you are subject to Visual Inspections then this will be an issue for you.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
ftpiercecracker1

I have done tons of research on the bolt on goods. I am pretty sure I've got all my bases covered. :)

7120 head
99+ intake
96+ PS bracket and pump
HO fuel lines
HO TB (jeff leigh 62mm :mrgreen: )
HO throttle bracket

Muad ' Dib: So according to what you said, keep the electrical connector hooked up and just plug the vaccum port? And as for the emissions police. . . .
ftpiercecracker1 wrote: I live way out in the boonies, most people dont even know how to spell emissions, much less check them :lol: .
No visual, no nothin. ;)

Gmakra: YES i will be keeping the 62mm TB, ordered from Leigh Performance Machine
gmakra
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by gmakra »

Sounds like you a good plan
ftpiercecracker1

Ya I am definately looking forward to finally getting this done. And if Muad Dib would chime in to double check with my previous post i think i will have everything accounted for.

The only thing I have not thought of yet, and it came to me as i typed this, is the fact that the HO header does not have a bung for the Renix factory O2, Much less a bung for the wideban. But this isnt something i would even consider a real problem, I have a good mig and the wideban came with a bug and probably will cut out and reweld the bung that is in the Renix header.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

I had to weld two bungs on my pre 2000 Doug Thorley header for the 2000 cali up steam sensors.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

You can really do anything you want to the EGR Solenoid connector. You can cut it out and wrap it up or just leave the connector in place like i did. The Computer doesnt look for information from the EGR Solenoid, it just tries to engage it when it feels it needs to. No worries there.

As far as the header / 02 bung question.. thats a good point i forgot about the exhaust.

With mine, i purchased a APN header which is basically a Banks knockoff and works great. Its made to mate up to a 91-95 front pipe. SInce we have RENIX, it wont mate up with our downpipe correctly. What i initially did when i built / installed the stroker was i purchased a 91-92 downpipe off of rockauto and had an additional 02 bung welded into it (it comes with one for the factory 02 sensor). This allowed me to basically remove the RENIX front pipe and install the new one in its place. Then the Header mated up to it perfectly. I ended up ripping it out since it was basically a stock exhaust and I had a custom mandrel bent 2.5" front pipe made.
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
ftpiercecracker1

Ok guys, just got back from the junkyard and here is what i gots.

99 intake and PS pump and bracket

Both of the above came from the same WJ.
I got a whole pile of other things but they do not pertain to the stroker build.
ftpiercecracker1

bump.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Was there an unanswered question?
ftpiercecracker1

ftpiercecracker1 wrote:Ok guys, just got back from the junkyard and here is what i gots.

???99 intake and PS pump and bracket???

Both of the above came from the same WJ.
I got a whole pile of other things but they do not pertain to the stroker build.
My error,
I have done a lot of reading on the issue of the PS and bracket and wanted to see if i could get a more clear answer instead of assuming.

Basically will it work? If not i need to know so i can return it and get a 96, or whatever.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

99+ intake requires the 99+ PS Pump and bracket. Without that combo you would have to fab. Sounds like you have what you need.