OBD II Protocols and tools

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.5L

OBD II Protocols and tools

Post by bratcop »

I recently bought an ElmScan ISO off fleabay to start tuning my stroker. I believe(d) that my 01 Jeep GC was iso compliant, however I can't get the thing to read. I got a little information for about 6 minutes, including long term fuel trim, etc, but then it quit working. Has anyone had any luck using an ELM type signal interpreter hooked to their computer? I want to make this one work, however, if all else fails I will need to get another one. Does anyone know what OBDII protocol a 2001 GC Laredo 4.0L used. WJJeeps says "Chrysler uses ISO 9142-2 OBDII Communications Protocol" however, that is one of the few places I see 9142-2 listed. I usually see 9141-1 as a popular protocol. Any help here would be beneficial.

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
4.5 Stroker, 9.6 SCR, 8.1 DCR
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
Ported and Polished 0331 Head
SplitSecond PSC1-003 Piggyback
Zeitroniz WideBand O2 logger
(all of this is still in the works as we speak)
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: OBD II Protocols and tools

Post by amcinstaller »

is this item a programmer type thing or just a reader?? does the vehicle still run proper with no check lights??
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
gmakra
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by gmakra »

I would check with Craig Moates @ http://www.moates.net/index.php?cPath=31.
He might be able to steer you in the right direction
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

He isn't dealing with some programmer issue or any "chipping" thing. Its a reader only. It can read codes, view live sensor data, data logging and reset the check engine light.
gmakra
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by gmakra »

XJ understood, I was just saying Craig is a knowledgeable guy and quite helpful and that maybe he could steer him to the answer.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Bratcop, from your favorite website: http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
Chrysler uses ISO 9142-2 OBDII Communications Protocol
I am also having a similar problem with a unit I just purchased by Autoengunity. I tested it on a 2004 WJ (seeing as my XJ is still engine less), and it logs fine for 20 or so minutes then loses connection. Mine is a direct to USB unit, and the only way I can establish connection again is if I turn the WJ off and then restart it. Restarting the PC does nothing nor does unplugging the USB device. I haven't had a chance to test it on another vehicle yet, but I am leaning toward the USB device being faulty.

Also, I seem to remember some of those ELM type scanners having a some sort of chip that doesn't work 100%. I.e. not the genuine article.
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

Good dig, Silver..... :smack:
That is where I found the protocol I was checking on. I had not seen that protocol before, so I was asking about it on here. The Jeep runs great, I just want to check on the fuel trims and see about installing the PSC1-003. I would tune to zero the trims first, then get a wide band. I need a well respected OBDII reader, and what I got isn't working yet. I am still trying...any input is helpful...

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

bratcop wrote:Good dig, Silver..... :smack:
That is where I found the protocol I was checking on. I had not seen that protocol before, so I was asking about it on here. The Jeep runs great, I just want to check on the fuel trims and see about installing the PSC1-003. I would tune to zero the trims first, then get a wide band. I need a well respected OBDII reader, and what I got isn't working yet. I am still trying...any input is helpful...

Bratcop
Even with well respected (Autoengunity) you may still have problems as I am. My main problem is that I can't find another vehicle to test it on to verify the problem, as my ZJ is an OBD I 95. Have you contacted the seller yet? I went with the Autoengunity because you can upgrade it to rear manufacturer specific codes on Jaguar and Jeeps, which I primarily work on.
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

The seller was a guy on fleabay. I have shot emails back and forth and of course it worked fine on his 99, so I will heat the garage, use the free software he suggested today. I will let u know.

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
hatem61
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by hatem61 »

Hi,
Hope you resolved your problem.
Only came across the thread just now.
Grand Cherokees from 1999 uses a protocol that is OBDII compliant, that protocol uses variable pulse width until the new model GC appeared with the mandated CAN communication protocol.
If it worked fine in the beginning, I do not see a communication protocol mismatch, but I would suspect a scan tool problem or the communication circuit first.
Could you try it on another car? Many vehicles of that era used the same protocol.
Good luck
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

Well, I finally got it working. I didn't do anything special, just tried it again, and viola. I found my long term trims to be -4 to -6, so not to bad. I noticed, however, that my absolute throttle position never goes below 16%, and all the way to the floor it only reads 78%, obviously that is only a range of 62%. Would that indicate a bad TPS? I would have thought that it should start at 0 and peak somewhere near 100%. Anyone got any ideas on that?
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Did you test the voltage output on the TPS?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Autoenginuity is finally RMAing their device. After 4 months of dealing with them they finally agreed to RMA it. They never return call either. They get a big F
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

bratcop wrote:Well, I finally got it working. I didn't do anything special, just tried it again, and viola. I found my long term trims to be -4 to -6, so not to bad. I noticed, however, that my absolute throttle position never goes below 16%, and all the way to the floor it only reads 78%, obviously that is only a range of 62%. Would that indicate a bad TPS? I would have thought that it should start at 0 and peak somewhere near 100%. Anyone got any ideas on that?
Usually those percentages are just a percentage of the full 0-5V range.

its very rare that WOT on the blade will reach 5V, as that would loose resolution (what if it went further? what if the sensor was a little off to start with?)

same on the low side.

I would assume that if you get a constant sweep of readings from closed, all the way to WOT, its fine.