KB pistons

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

KB pistons

Post by Shark »

any new word on the keith black pistons?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: KB pistons

Post by dwg86 »

I emailed the tech dept last week. They said they just got a 4.0 head and were working on it. Didn't say when they would be ready.Also didn't answere my question on forged or hypereutectic, 258 or 4.0 rod.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

i emailed them from a form on their site a few days ago. still no answer.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

I think they've already answered that they will be forgings, because cast pistons have higher development costs. I think they prototype all their new lines with forged I'm not sure why they don't just CNC machine pistons these days out of whatever, a block of cast hypereutectic, or Forged billet... I'm sure there's a good reason they don't.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Email tech guy Jerry Ward directly. His email is on the kb website. He's a good guy. I've talked to him on the phone before, and he asweres emails within a day or two.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

1bolt wrote:I think they've already answered that they will be forgings, because cast pistons have higher development costs.
i did read that on the yahoo group. it would have been nice for them to answer me with a simple "we have something in the works".
Last edited by Shark on March 3rd, 2008, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

dwg86 wrote:Email tech guy Jerry Ward directly. His email is on the kb website. He's a good guy. I've talked to him on the phone before, and he asweres emails within a day or two.
have you asked him about the stroker pistons specifically?
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

So I went to the K-B website and looked at what pistons they had for the 242: 2229, 2229c, 3241hc, 3242hc. edit: I answered my ? Anyhow Dino's site has the specs on them: 12.2cc dish for the 2229s and 14.1cc for the 3241/2. The difference b/t the 3241 and 3242 is that one is standard and one is metric, just like the Sealed Power 802cp and 825cp.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Why are you folks always trying to reinvent the wheel ? :huh:

Diamond supplies Hesco. They have the specs already.

You can call Diamond and get a set of pistons directly from them. For about 75 bucks a hole.

If that is to much money to build an engine correctly then perhaps you should just stay with a SBC. All this talk about detonation and ping. Set the engine up correctly to begin with and be done with it.

DUH !! :smack:

Honestly I do not want to come off as a know it all. But between this piston issue, a roller cam and Dino`s computer dyno. I`ve about had it with this site as I did with Yahoo.
93 4.0 block
12 weight 4.2 crank
.080 Diamond pistons
Eagle rods
balanced
274/480 Cam
Mopar rollers with Engel springs
.043 Quench @ 9.48 Compression
Ported head
01 intake with 64 mm TB
Edlebrock header
Misc other stuff

Don`t need a Hemi.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

For about 75 bucks a hole.

If that is to much money to build an engine correctly then perhaps you should just stay with a SBC.
And spend more? Trans, transfer case adaptor, engine mounts, ecu & wiring (I prefer fuel injection), cooling system, SBC and SBC rebuild (just off the top of my head). There is a thread on this already. :doh:
Dino`s computer dyno
Guess I missed this one. I know of a DCR calc that they are working on, no computer dyno's that I know about (that would be cool though).
I`ve about had it with this site as I did with Yahoo.
Your the one klicking on the threads. Each thread has a title, i.e. KB pistons, the info in that thread is probably going to be related the title, if your not interested, don't read it. I thought this went without saying, but either you can't help yourself and have to click on subjects your not interested in or you don't understand what the title's function is. DUH!! :banghead:
Set the engine up correctly to begin with and be done with it.
I thought that was what this thread was about. This is about KB pistons, designed specifically for an AMC/Jeep inline 6 stroker using a 4.0l block and 4.2L crankshaft, isn't it? With such piston, we could "Set the engine up correctly to begin with and be done with it" for less cash than those $600 overpriced pistons your running.
There are some budget build strokers that are running without pinging problems or ping was corrected (one of the reasons for this forum, I thought). I guess they should rebuild because they aren't built correctly?
On that subject, if we all built the same engine, that runs perfectly from the beginning, what the hell would there be to talk about?
How are your Eagle rods? My Eagle rods are awsome! My Eagle rods are awsome too! How are your Diamond pistons? My diamond pistons are--- SHUT UP!

As far as I'm concerned, YOUR FAR FROM A KNOW IT ALL. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! :x
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by John »

jsawduste wrote:Why are you folks always trying to reinvent the wheel ? :huh:

You can call Diamond and get a set of pistons directly from them. For about 75 bucks a hole.

If that is to much money to build an engine correctly then perhaps you should just stay with a SBC. All this talk about detonation and ping. Set the engine up correctly to begin with and be done with it.

Honestly I do not want to come off as a know it all. But between this piston issue, a roller cam and Dino`s computer dyno. I`ve about had it with this site as I did with Yahoo.

How many of these have you built????????????
I have built 4 and have #5 in design now. Each has been designed differently to perform different jobs, The roadster motor would perform terribly and ping if put in my YJ crawler and running out of ass at low rpm would not benefit the roadster very well, this forum is about designs, ideas and different innovative solutions, as well as educating those starting out. Your response sounds like the head of the patent office who resigned in the 1800's because all worthwhile things had been invented.
John
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

You missed the point of the whole post.

Again I ask, why try to enlist another manufacture for stroker ready pistons when there is already one on board ?

That is the point.

Seems like a lot of extra work for something that is already avaliable.

Do you really think that KB is going to come in cheaper or better ?

I also said that the Diamonds are about 75 each. Not a bad price for a limited demand, low volume part. Another person posted the 600 price, not me.

Using DCR as a band aid is not setting an engine up correctly. The tone around here is using a cam to bleed off compression to control detonation and ping.

Dino`s computer has a program on it that simulates a dyno. A very speculative tool at best. But one many have taken as gospel.

Please learn to read and think past the end of your nose. A spell check would not be a bad Idea ether.

BTW, I do like my Diamonds and Eagles. With them I can rest assured that my stroker will lead a long and happy life.
93 4.0 block
12 weight 4.2 crank
.080 Diamond pistons
Eagle rods
balanced
274/480 Cam
Ported head
01 intake with 64 mm TB
Edlebrock header
Misc other stuff

Don`t need a Hemi.
John

Post by John »

"Do you really think that KB is going to come in cheaper or better ?"

Heavens no, I just want another good option for a design variable. Notice I said good.. Cheaper.... I retired at 50, I don't have to worry about cheaper. Better for certain setups would be nice. We will know more as we are able to evaluate their offering.
John
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

Thanks John.
Now that is an informative post with good reasoning behind it.
93 4.0 block
12 weight 4.2 crank
.080 Diamond pistons
Eagle rods
balanced
274/480 Cam
Ported head
01 intake with 64 mm TB
Edlebrock header
Misc other stuff

Don`t need a Hemi.
Flash

Post by Flash »

jsawduste wrote:Why are you folks always trying to reinvent the wheel ? :huh:

WOW! Chill :roll:
Yes i read in the Yahoo group that they were going to be forged piston also................BUT THEY HAVEN'T DESIDED TO MAKE ANY THING YET!!!!! And we can hope, that in the end, that they decide to go with a Hpyernetic piston...and that's what most of us or hanging on for in this thread ;)

And YES, i guess, I'm the one that has annoyed you, buy keeping the ball rolling, all the way up to the final price tag, of the roller cam........And it is not something that i would apologize for! As it was, and is something I'm proud of!!!!!
No You don't need to worry, i will not start up a thread on here about the Roller..............Because the road to a roller cam is marked............AND, SOMEDAY, SOME ONE, WILL PAVE IT!!!!!!! :twisted:

Just one question! How do you perceive this sight. and what sence of direction do you thing we should go?......OK sorry that was two questions :|
I'm not poking fun here I'm serious.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."