Bratcop's Stroker Build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Bratcop's Stroker Build

Post by SilverXJ »

Could be the camera distorting the sucking sound form the air entering the engine. Took you a while to start it though.
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.5L

Post by bratcop »

it was a point and shoot camera being used as a video camera, not much of a dynamic mic. It sounded fine. I didn't take long to start, I kept starting and stopping it to build oil pressure. I didn't want it running until I saw oil pressure on the gauge. The sound is deceiving...it sounded and still sounds fine.

Yes, my 6 month old Golden, Willie, was a big help. In fact, he christened the cargo area with puke on our maiden voyage with the new stroker :hrhr:

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
4.5 Stroker, 9.6 SCR, 8.1 DCR
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
Ported and Polished 0331 Head
SplitSecond PSC1-003 Piggyback
Zeitroniz WideBand O2 logger
(all of this is still in the works as we speak)
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Bratcop, did you prime the oil pump with a drill first? If you used an assembly lube or even oiled all of the bearings, the starting and stopping isn't necessary. If anything it take longer for the oil to get to where it has to go since the oil starts to drain back between starts
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

we used assembly lube on everything and packed the oil pump with grease to protect it until it gets oil....didn't actually prime it though....I still have to reset the cam position sensor with a toothpic, but it is on hold. I threw out my back shoveling the foot of snow we got Monday night, can barely walk or get up and down.... :(

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Health first, stroker second. Feel better Bratcop. You'll get her running right in due time
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

Thanks for the well wishes, MGardiner1.

so here is the scoop....back is slightly better, good enough to work on the stroker....

I had been using the battery that came with the Laredo, it appears to be the factory battery...with the green eye, only there was no green and it was good for only about 10 cranks, then nothing.

I also had purchased a Dayco serp belt to use, but when installed, the belt was too long from the factory and the tensioner was outside it's acceptable marks. I don't know if it is all Dayco or just that one, but back it went to the store.

So I knew I needed a new battery, a new belt, and had to try out the toothpick method.

So I removed the belt, took out the battery, found TDC on #1, checked the timing mark to confirm it's position, pulled the cam pos. sensor, slid the toothpick in. I remember that the wire harness should be parallel to the block when installed, pointing toward the rear. I knew we were close previously, so I only adjusted by on tooth on the gear. I used a screwdriver to adjust the oilpump drive gear. I put it back in, then pulled the toothpick. I think a toothpick is a better way to go than a spray wand. The toothpick is a little thicker and doesn't allow for as much play in the sensor.

I bought a Autozone GoldTop 850cca battery, because Consumer Reports gave them a best buy, even though it was an $100 battery. 8 year warranty though, and this is the wife's DD.

I bought a GatorBack serp belt as well. I was staying away from the Dayco for obvious reasons.....

installed the battery, installed the belt and away I went.....

on first start, I noticed that the starter doesn't really spin the engine any faster...must be do to my increased compression :D :D :D

It started up and ran fine, no CEL. I drove it around, let my wife drive it around, then let it idle in my drive for 10 minutes. Went and bought a tree, let it idle at the tree place, brought it home....NO CEL! I am cautiously optomistic.....

WOOHOOO

Check my thread about piggyback computers coming soon, I have some questions I would like some help with....

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Glad to hear progress is made (and the back is getting better)! I'll be on the learning curve with the PSC1 with you! I may install mine this week, i have the week off from work. I just finished shortening my driveshaft another full inch last night.

are you using a gauge to check the AFR?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Glad you got the cam sensor issue fixed. As far as I can tell it really doesn't matter where the wiring harness points. I think they chose the rear becaus ethat is where teh harness comes from and it looks nice.
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

Full week under all kinds of conditions, no CEL, idle is soo smooooooth......
averaging about 15 mpg so far.
Gave an oil/filter change and went with mobile one 10w40, hoping mileage will go up.

Regarding the CPS, that is kind of what I thought, but the repair manual, haynes I think, said that was how it needed to be done...whatever.

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

Bratcop's i just got thru reading all of your build, sounds like its working vary well!

did you CC the head after shaving it and ...........what was your final DCR and SCR?
No ping and low.........A, basically sea level, Vary encouraging!!!

Flash.
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

I did not cc the head before or after shaving...so not sure on the volume. I just assumed about 57cc, which put SCR at 9.65:1 with a DCR near 8.0:1. No knock thus far, but it is also like 18*F here, so intake temp is nice and cold. Pulling a trailer in the summer will be the true test, but so far, so good. Thanks for the thumbs up :rockout:

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

running update....

This thing is running like a top. After I got the CEL to stay off by resetting the cam sensor, I stopped by the machinist's shop. HE COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW SMOOTH IT RAN, AND HOW QUIET? He thought for sure it would be searching around to find the correct AF mixture with the different injectors and different stroke.

I have driven it about 1200 miles so far in weather ranging from -5*F to 40*F and have had zero problems. Took it across my great state, Lake to River (Lake Michigan to Mississippi River) and back and averaged 17mpg in AWD about half the time. I am very happy with that mileage and am still running 87 octane :wiggle:

I still have done nothing with the MAP sensor voltage, this is all on stock ECU...pretty cool. I plan on getting some OBDII software and Elm5 interface to see where the fuel trims are at...but for now just enjoying the hell out of it....

Happy New Year...
Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
rradford9
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5l

Post by rradford9 »

Did you end up swapping out the exhaust for a free flowing muffler? If so, which did you choose and how does it sound?
4.5L Simple Stroker
* 4.2L crank & rods
* H802CP pistons (18cc dish)
* 9.57:1 SCR / 8.28:1 DCR
* 0.050" Quench
* 62mm TB
* Hot Air Intake
* 2.5" Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster 50
* JBA Header
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

Still on the stock exhaust. I will replace it when it get's bad, I just can't see tossing a perfectly good muffler to gain a little HP...When it goes, then I will replace with performance, as loud as my wife will allow.

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

So I finally got the elmscan working with my laptop and got some short term and long term trim values. I am seeing long terms in the area of negative 6-10% and short terms negative 8-12%. I was suprised to find them that close. That is warmed up and driving down the highway. I am preparing to install the PSC1-003 soon and will tweak those trims to get them to equal zero or as close as possible. I just need an OBD software that will log/capture those variables. Anyone got any input on those trim values? Should I be happy with them being that close, or does that leave a lot of room for improvement?

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI