Intake system

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Intake system

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I'm looking for an air filter intake system that utilizes a tube with a cone filter (Cold air intake for example) that crosses over the engine to the non exhaust side of the engine (passanger side) and for a 91-95 YJ wrangler. Any recommendations? The only ones i can find loop back behind the master cylinder, but i have no room due to where i mounted the ECU
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Intake system

Post by seanyb505 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW1-199 ... 0101443162

Filter is probly crummy, but you always grab a higher quality one. Youll probly have to fab up some brackets. I have a very similar unit on my XJ, down to the blue silicon lol.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Nice article. I would expect all the different intakes to score withing a few TQ and HP of each other. Nice to see the gains on a stock engine
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

So can i make this an exhaust thread too?

Has anybody ever had an exhaust system fabricated and installed at meineke? I'm thinking about using them for all of my exhaust work.
gremlinsteve
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by gremlinsteve »

meinike? i wouldnt use that stuff...get a quality stainless aftermarket cat back and be done with it for ever...........

about the same cost in the end and its so simple to install it not even funny..

i carry just about every line known to man. and if i dont have them, i can usually get them within a day.

steve
gremlinsteve
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by gremlinsteve »

interesting that some actually has tested the intakes.
i prefer the afe intakes. but the air raids seem to work also. i have always stayed away from the moapr stuff. reason is the metal tube holds heat.

steve
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

gremlinsteve wrote:meinike? i wouldnt use that stuff...get a quality stainless aftermarket cat back and be done with it for ever...........

about the same cost in the end and its so simple to install it not even funny..

i carry just about every line known to man. and if i dont have them, i can usually get them within a day.

steve

Unfortunatly its not that simple. Trust me, after building this stroker, a bolt on exhaust would be the easiest part of it all!

I doing a custom 3" exhuast from header to tailpipe. Meineke is a franchise oriented muffler shop with a few locations around here. I'm going to get a price from them, and see if they have SS tubing. If they do not, or for some crazy reason cannot perform mandrel bends, then i'll find elsewhere
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Comanche91 »

I had mine done at a local Mom and Pop muffler shop here in town that has been in business for 40+ years. We ran 3" back from the header to the "Bama cat" (3" stainless cherry bomb), then into a s/s Walker hi-flow muffler w. dual 2.5" outlets, then 2.5" s/s mandrel bent pipes over the axle exiting under the rear bumper. It took awhile to get it set up right, both for sound (I hate a loud exhaust) and dyno performance. The cost was just over $200.
91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by aaronkeiser »

I'm very interested in what Mgardiner1 said. I'm looking for a CA legal cone filter intake that crosses over to the other side of the engine away from the exhaust. I figure that if I'm going to spend $ on an intake I might as well get one I'll never have to remove except for maintenance not for the smog nazies. So my Q would be who sells the cheapest CARB certified air intake for a YJ...that crosses over to the other side of the engine. I should also say im doing this because my factory air box doesn't fit anymore because I'm running the newer style intake and PS pump which sticks out father than the original.

Another thing I realized with my YJ are the TRUE restrictions of the factory air box. Yes it does use the paper filters and it has that cone thing on the front closest to the radiator BUT...anyone ever look inside the outlet on the top of the air box? My YJ air box necks down to about 40mm! :o My mag light handle has an almost snug fit inside of it. I remember reading a yahoo strokers email saying that we should put back on our stock airboxes because while they don't suck more air, they do suck cooler air. I do agree with this but I feel an aftermarket intake with a plastic tube/cone filter with a protective cover around the filter that is CARB certified that crosses over the engine is the best intake. kind of like the Banks Ram Air one but without the price tag. By doing this you eliminate the restriction and by routing it as far from the header as possible it will have the best chance from not getting heat soaked. I did run a cheap Evilbay :twisted: cone filter for awhile and nothing changed performance wise except for the sometimes :roll: cool new whisle from my airaid TB spacer. I would be fine just changing stuff for the smog nazies but my factory box doesn't fit anymore so I need something new.

What do you guys think?
Heck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by Heck »

Since you have the newer style intake and your stock airbox doesn't fit anymore, probably nothing designed for a yj will just bolt up without modification. And none of the intakes with the CARB sticker will be cheap. Too much research and paperwork. Thank you, California. :brickwall: