Building my first stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.5L

Building my first stroker

Post by bratcop »

Thanks to everyone who has posted their info here...I would have no idea what to do without the excellent input of the members here, seriously!! :cheers:

Anyway, I recently bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo from a mechanically declined friend. He said it was knocking and the stealership told him "rod bearing". He let me have it for $1500. Upon post mortem, I find that a piston skirt gave way all the way up to the oil ring, causing the knock. He had driven only about 20 miles around town after noise started, so the block is fine...

While it was apart, and since I had to buy pistons anyway....I discovered this site, convinced my wife (in that order) and started my planning....

Here is what I have...

258 crank with 4 counterweights
707 rods
P3071 Hypereutectic pistons with coated skirts from Enginetech catalog...nice and cheap, like $27 each
0331 head, relief and match ported intakes, relief ported and polished exhausts, fresh valve job
Ford Mustang Cobra 24# injectors (XR3E-C5B w/ EV6 connector)
01 Jeep intake port matched
Split Second PSC1-003 piggyback computer
Zeitronix ZT-2 Wideband O2 and datalogging setup
looking into some type of CAI, maybe K&N
stock exhaust (one of the wife's few demands...she says she gets embarassed when getting on it in my 06 F150 supercrew with magnaflows)
High flow thermo
stock rebuild oil pump
reman water pump
standard gaskets

using the CR calc on this site...Which is F-ing awesome, here is what I get...check the attachment

Still deciding on decking of the block...will need to have pistons in hand to see what can be dished safely...I would like quench around .050, but don't want to completely rely on gasket thickness for quench...

So there it is, Gurus, tell me what I am missing?....seriously, let me know if there are some holes in my game plan...
Oh, and I know about the crackability of the head...got my fingers crossed, and besides, I am running out of moola :doh:

All in all, should come in around $1700 for this stroker...It seems when you add that to purchase price of $1500, I got a sweet deal at $3200...if all goes well

Thanks again for all the help and watch the forums, as I am sure I will have some questions...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 GC Laredo
4.5 Stroker, 9.6 SCR, 8.1 DCR
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
Ported and Polished 0331 Head
SplitSecond PSC1-003 Piggyback
Zeitroniz WideBand O2 logger
(all of this is still in the works as we speak)
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Re: Building my first stroker

Post by Mgardiner1 »

bratcop wrote: stock exhaust (one of the wife's few demands...she says she gets embarassed when getting on it in my 06 F150 supercrew with magnaflows)
Girls driving pick ups are a turn on in the first place, but with loud pipes is just HAWT!!

;-)

Other then that, for a budget build your numbers are decent. Have you narrowed it down to a piston yet? you can alter your deck height (without decking the block) from .030 to .050 just in the difference of the pistons compression height (using the pistons from the FAQ section) Of course keep in mind, the closer you try to get that quench, the more the price goes up!
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

If you alreayd have all that stuff thats an awesome budget. It took 3700 just to get mine to run, and I already had the Jeep! Nothing wrong with relying on the HG for quench. I do for the most part @ .0565 and a .052 HG. My pistons sit .0045" down in the bores. Thats not a lot. Im sure youve figured new bearings all around into you equations, but remember you have to get main bearings for your block year not the crank. The rod bearings will be fine for the year of the crank. No cam, are you using everything from the old valvetrain?

If your head does crack you can always grab a 0630 head from the junkyard for around 50 bucks. I would get it now and start preparing it to go on the stroker (all the porting and normal head rebuild). That will minimize down time. If it cracks. :cheers:
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

Yep, I'm staying with the stock cam...like the torque curve, and it is a dual pattern already...

Besides, like I said, rebuild spending authorization is getting tight :lol:

pistons I chose are listed, they are the same as Piston 3241HC - Silvolite...going to have to check numbers again after looking at the piston FAQ, as it give a better reading of the dish volume.

keep the info coming, this type of quality control is exactly what I am looking for...

On a side note, and if it develops, I will give it it's own thread.....Anyone use the PSC1-003? Anyone got any baseline maps to share or tips...The thing is new, but has no wiring diagram for connection...I can't hook it up yet, but I like to have it figured out prior to needing to install it, ya know?

Thanks again....Bratcop
Last edited by bratcop on October 24th, 2008, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

I have a couple more questions....

First, I found an interesting artice with alot of good info, much of which is mirrored here on the FAQ, but WTH...
http://fourwheeler.automotive.com/20026 ... index.html

anyway, I realize that 22 cc from a Silvolite 3241HC might be a bit ambitious...Has anyone had any success going to 20cc on these pistons? If I do that and deck the block (in theory, as I haven't been able to measure deck height yet) to .010, my SCR is 9.42:1, while my DCR is 6.97, quench at .061, and that is with a gasket of .051. I am hoping to run this thing on pump gas, like 87 octane, maybe 89 if I have to. How do the numbers look? :?:

As you can see, I am still learning...

Bratcop
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

If you have questions in terms of piston dishing, contact oletshot and tell him what you are looking for. I sent my pistons over to him, which he measured and reported back with his recommendation for dish depth. He's a great guy to work with

Just for the record, i purchased H802CP for $20 a pop @ summit, and a ring set for $80. They started as 14cc dish, and oletshot found a safe 20cc's for me. :-)

I want to get a PSC1 as well. The 003 version has provisions for a MAF sensor. Does your year jeep have a MAF sensor? The only reason i haven't purchased a PSC1 yet, is i am unsure which version i should go with. 002 is designed for boost, 003 is designed for MAF, 001 is designed for neither, but also says they don't suggest 001 for most applications.
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

I don't think it has a MAF, runs on speed/density using MAP, RPM, Air Temp Sensor (ATS?) AFAIK...contacted split second, and they recommended the 003 for me saying it would work great with the stock MAP sensor...now just have to find a wiring diagram to hook it up when I am ready...
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

I have the 002 w/ maps for stock injectors(didn't say what year, so who knows for which injectors: 19#-23.5#), for 26# sealevel, and 26# high alt(none of them were good for my 25.5# setup, but I wasn't expecting them to be). It came from a turbo'd YJ. I'm currently using the stock map sensor, as my laptop isn't quite road worthy(bad screen and batt), so I still have to work on a custom map that's only 2/3 finished. I was using the built-in 2-bar map as I felt that it would be more accurate and make the chain smaller. I was planning on buying the 003, but found a 002 and kept pressuring the guy until he let it go for $125. Now if I had found a FTC1 in the $200-250 range, I woulda jumped on it. I still like the idea of driving to Novak and getting the obd2 pcm reflashed with a custom tune and doing away with the PSC and Jet2(hmm, that's $200 towards the $400-500 tune). It's fun to diy and learn how things work, but sometimes it's worth paying a pro for his expertise(conjure every last hp out of it). Anyhow brat, I can email you those maps if you'd like.
bratcop
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bratcop »

Gradon,
That would be much appreciated as I have no idea what is loaded on mine at this point. I bought it from BMP motorsports (out of FLA, I think). They specialize in BMW's, not Jeeps, but it is new and has never been used. email them to me at [email protected] Thanks alot
2001 GC Laredo
Stock Valvetrain
24# Cobra Injectors
Bored Throttle Body
CAI
gremlinsteve
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by gremlinsteve »

i have a brand new psc1-003 at the shop. dont knwo what im going to do with it.

steve