Need to order pistons

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Rob92XJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L

Need to order pistons

Post by Rob92XJ »

I'm starting my stroker build and have read through a few threads but still don't know just which pistons would be my best choice. I'm planning to keep the 4.0L rods, boring the block .060 over and using a 4.2 crank basic stuff. My problem comes with wanting to keep the Jeep running on 87 octane fuel, so do I order a set of Keith Black 944s or is there a better choice to help keep my CR low around 8:1 or 9:1 the highest. The cam I have is a Mopar Performance cam I don't have the specs with me but it is the stage 1 cam.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Need to order pistons

Post by dwg86 »

If you are going to use the 6.125 4.0 rod, the KB piston is your only option unless you have a custom set made.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

You'd probably be better off using the shorter 4.2 rods and not decking the block, should give you a much lower compression and no problems on any pump gas
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Rob92XJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Rob92XJ »

A friend of mine used the shorter 4.2 rods and didn't deck the block or have anything done to his head and he has to run 89 or higher or he gets sever spark knock at lite cruise and heavy acceleration. Besides I have to be different then him.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

What pistons and camshaft did he use?

I get spark knock out of my stock renix sometimes, but i blame it on a timing issue with my front damper CPS kit and the wire being too high of resistance :-)
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

You could get the shorter 4.2 rods, Silvolite 2229 and have them dished out so you can deck the block and not run into compression ratio issues. Or get the KB or custom pistons to run the 4.0 rods.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Rob92XJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Rob92XJ »

Mgardiner1 wrote:What pistons and camshaft did he use?

I get spark knock out of my stock renix sometimes, but i blame it on a timing issue with my front damper CPS kit and the wire being too high of resistance :-)
The cam is actually the same cam since we work as techs for a local Jeep dealer we get Mopar Performance parts at cost. The pistons he used were a Speed Pro stock replacement piston.