to much horsepower for auto trans

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Re: to much horsepower for auto trans

Post by beiwulf »

I do take special request to send out my translator decoder rings for better understanding. Unfortunately I haven't got all the bugs worked out just yet - but my wife is helping me and my daughter isn't waiting patiently.

I do apologize about not being more clear and will work on that. Like a few others new to this vast influx of information to digest and all the of the possibilities… I just need to remind myself to step back and take a breath to reflect and formulate more clearly. It's so easy to jump from one board to the next with this thing called the net on an easter egg hunt to find a truth.

Back on point - really appreciate the do diligence on the time and research you just posted up Chris. All power while driving under slippery conditions is an important feature to me (more so then a rock-crawler abuse ready TC). I am going with a 4.7 boosted application and still toying with how much and intercooler or not. The NP242 seems more of the viable option if that is the only other all wheel setup - i will research that one more. I guess that my 42RE that my mechanic said was an upgrade might not be. I will have to check with other sources in my area that might know more about it.

<off topic for a minute>
This mechanic shop I had do some work on my jeep that the alarm shop said I had an issue with. Alarm shop said your remote start feature isn't working right do to an issue with my brake switch. My remote start working intermittently. So I had the mechanic shop replace my brake switch for about $65 bucks. With in the next few weeks i had some random guy on the road tell me " Hey not sure if you know but… your brake lights aren't working." Back to the mechanic …. Mechanic's insight. Oh yeah the connector on the brake switch is broken it seems and not connecting right. Wait what… didn't you guys just replace that brake switch and do the work in that area a few weeks ago? uhm… yes I believe so.(replied the mechanic shop). With a little chat they replaced the connection no charge. Another time went in and it was when they did the transmission I decided to get the TB spacer put on. Just asked them to do it and had it dropped shipped to them. I took it off about a month ago to clean the IAC and TB - those guys didn't even trim the gaskets back from the spacer install… Yeah so… wasn't planning on going back to them again to soon. I wouldn't put it passed them that it wasn't an upgrade on the parts considering the track record and even question the validity of the parts list they gave me with what you just shared Chris. so…

<back on>
I will look more into the parts they used and probably look for another Transmission to upgrade to. 46RE or something else that might bolt up when this one fails. I did pay more then what i would call an buttload for the rebuild that they might of cut-corners and oversold. But there is a warranty for 24k miles or 2 years. I'm about 7 months into warranty.

It seems I will be crossing that Atlas II off the list for now - I did see that Atlas brought out a new ATLAS4-38 custom build out but for $3k a bit steep and not sure if that is the all wheel drive either.

Appreciate the time and input Chris.
thank you

found this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/tran ... 42-685644/
np249 conversion to np242
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

That thread on JF covers a lot of good information. One other thought its a 249/247 hybrid case. I believe George at Transfer Cases Unlimited can do such a thing.

The 46RE won't bolt in place of the 42RE. Different bell housing patterns. The 42RE can be rebuilt using internals from a 46RE though.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

Thanks Chris, I just got off the phone with John @ Import Performance Transmission in Hawthorn, NJ. He's one of the resource's I believe child9/fringe used. He mentioned that he can do a valve body upgrade for about $500 and an entire new transmission rebuild for about $2500. He said with relative confidence that the 42RE rebuild he does would be able to handle 500-550 hp.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/c ... orwd.shtml

I'll give the TC guy a jingle. thank you.

Hope this helps others too
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

There is also this guy that comes highly recommended for performance transmission work:
Martin Saine
MSaine Performance
951-907-0434
http://www.dakotart.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54