bearings

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

bearings

Post by dwg86 »

I finally got around to tearing down my donor 4.0. The stock rod bearings had the oil notch in them for the squirt hole in the rods, and the main bearings had groove in the bearing in the block and a solid(no groove) bearing in the main caps.
Has anyone found an aftermarket rod bearing with the oil squirt hole? How are the aftermarket mains...full groove, no groove, or one half main grooved?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: bearings

Post by Cheromaniac »

I can't remember if my rod bearings had the squirt holes but they were Clevite 77's with part #CB-960P. The squirt holes help to oil the cam and the distributor drive gear.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Mgardiner1 wrote:.....Anyway, it seems that they were cleaning out their old stock of bearings. They are all clevite, all the same part number, but 2 are in a different box then the rest. 2 of the boxes say made in brazil, and the other 4 are made in USA. I thought at first it might just be different boxes, same bearings. Well that wasn't true either, the 2 from brazil don't have a clear date code on them like the USA ones do, and they are definitly stamped with different characters/letters. However, all 6 bearings say "20" on them like they should. Should i be concerned about the difference in the bearings? i would assume they have to be made within a tight spec no matter which plant they come out of.

EDIT: Definitly not happy, just noticed the brazil bearings have the oil notch that lines up with the notch on the rod cap for oil slinging, and the USA ones do not.

The main bearings i received today have grooved uppers and solid lowers.

something i found strange and left me very confused, 2 out of 4 cam bearings have a 360 groove on the inside of the bearing, and the other 2 do not. they all have oil holes. Is that normal?
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

My CB-960P-10's (for a .010 undersized crank) have solid uppers and lowers with a hole for the oil slinger.

~Alex
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Alex22 wrote:My CB-960P-10's (for a .010 undersized crank) have solid uppers and lowers with a hole for the oil slinger.

~Alex
The cb-960p is a clevite bearing. So it sounds like clevite is the rod bearing to use, because it has the oil hole. I know some manufacturers say that the oil hole isn't needed, but if the factory thought it was needed...thats the way I am going to go.
I also went to the clevite web site. They have a lot of good info on different types of bearings. They also have part numbers. CB-690P for 258 and 4.0 rods, MS-1947P for the mains, and SH-1980s for the cam bearings.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Not to be a broken record, i will repeat what i said and quoted myself. I recieved Clevite 77 rod bearings. 2 from Brazil and 4 from USA (all ordered from the same place, at the same time).

The USA stamped bearings DID NOT HAVE THE OIL SLINGER HOLES
The Brazil bearings do.

Since the hole is not very large in the rod itself, i will be using a small rat-tail file to make my own oil slinger holes in the USA bearings
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

The boxes my Clevite77 bearings say Made In The USA, the rods have the oil slinger hole in them and the bearings have no stampings saying where they are from.

~Alex
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

No kidding...... mine were date stamped too. Tonight when i get home from work i'll check out the date of manufacture and reconfirm that all 4 USA's did not have the oil hole