How to disassemble head

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Desertjr
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

How to disassemble head

Post by Desertjr »

Got my new core here and was curious how to I remove the valve springs, valves ect?
00XJ49
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 2000

Re: How to disassemble head

Post by 00XJ49 »

There's a tool called a valve spring compressor that... Well you can probably figure out what it does.

If you're not worried about damaging anything, you can use a socket and a mini sledge. Put the socket on top of the retainer, and give it a good pop with the sledge - the locks should pop out (repeat until they do, should only take a couple whacks). Again, this method is not designed with any salvage in mind... If you're planning on keeping your springs and/or valves, get the compressor (should be able to rent one from Advance/O'Reilly/etc.).
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
Desertjr
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1990

Re: How to disassemble head

Post by Desertjr »

00XJ49 wrote:There's a tool called a valve spring compressor that... Well you can probably figure out what it does.

If you're not worried about damaging anything, you can use a socket and a mini sledge. Put the socket on top of the retainer, and give it a good pop with the sledge - the locks should pop out (repeat until they do, should only take a couple whacks). Again, this method is not designed with any salvage in mind... If you're planning on keeping your springs and/or valves, get the compressor (should be able to rent one from Advance/O'Reilly/etc.).

Ya wanna keep the stuff for my engine builder. Get him some spares and what not. 40 to have a shop disassemble, hot tank, mag & hot tank again :cheers: