Thinking of Titan...

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
wcso15

Thinking of Titan...

Post by wcso15 »

Thinking of getting a 4.6 or 4.7 stroker from Titan Engines. I am relatively new to all of this and looking for some educated advice. Building one of my own really isn't an option due to the lack of knowledge on my part. I enjoy working on the jeep and can do most things but I am definitely no mechanic, quite far from it actually. More of a hobby but also a daily driver that I don't want to screw up.

Also, being of limited mechanical knowledge, can I perform the engine swap with relative success?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Thinking of Titan...

Post by Muad'Dib »

My personal opinion is that if you can do an engine swap, than you should be able to take the engine apart and put it back together building yourself a stroker.

I would think the only reason why anyone would want a pre-built engine is because of time restraints, or its their only vehicle. Even then, i would build what i wanted, and when it came down to it, out with the old and in with the new.

Whatever your reason may be, i would stay away from titan... ive read to many horror stories. Do some searching and reading on this site for starters.

Someone else may have different advise however.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Don't walk.. run.. Do not get a Titan. I purchased one over a year ago and it still isn't 100%. Their support is horrible, and while they seem to know what they are talking about they do not know how to build a reliable, smooth running engine. In short this mess has cost me several thousand more than it would have taken me to build a top notch stroker myself and many more hours. Search on here, hesco's forum and naxja.com for my issues and others. I know that there are at least three others on Naxja that have purchased Titan 4.fail engines and had many problems. Their warranty is useless as they keep sending me wrong components and parts that were assembled poorly.

Your best bet would be to research this site and find a competent machine shop that can help you and build it yourself. Also, look in to Golen and if you have the coin, Hesco.
jeep_naked
Stroker Displacement: 4.8L

Post by jeep_naked »

I am in the same boat as yourself, limited mechanical knowledge but want a stroker. I looked on this site for ever and a day and finally decided to go the build it myself route, here is what I would reccomend.

I ended up buying a 4.0 and a 4.2 block off of craigslist for less than $200 for both ( the 4.0 came with the tranny and the NP231), some say its high but I can still keep my engine in the jeep until the storker buildup is done. I then looked at stroker kits and ended up going with Titan for there 4.8 kit, I got everything I needed and had it sent to the house. When I got all the other parts (injectors, etc), I went to half a dozen race shops, jeep clubs and muscle car meets in the area and asked "What machine shop do you reccomend?" I dropped off the parts, block and crank and picked up the engine, now I just need to assymble it all. From what I have been told most machine shops will assyemble it for another $100-200.

By doing this you can still get the Titan kit and have it built by someone close so if you do have problems your don't have all the issues of long distance customer service. In case your wondeirng I am sitting at $1300 for a complete build including all parts
AlexTJ
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by AlexTJ »

I may be in the minority of people here but I actually like my titan, but I would have built it myself if I had the time. I had a blown engine on my DD and had to get back on the road quickly. Titan engines are good for about 265 bhp (or so they say) and the only beef I have with them is not getting a detailed build sheet.
97 TJ - 4.7L - Lunati 63502 ftw