Exhaust System Header Designs.

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
superstingray77
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ

Exhaust System Header Designs.

Post by superstingray77 »

I am currently running a banks knock off dual outlet 2000-06 header. Other than a missing section of weld it was nicely made stainless, thick flanges etc. This header is the dual outlet type which connects to stock 99 California dual cat pipe (hollowed mini cats) then comes down and remains stock through the S pipe and connects to a 2.5" Dynomax cat back system minus the 3rd cat. Currently no cats in the system. Its obvious this system is choking my engine to death. Since the repair I had made on the dual outlet header began leaking again it got me thinking time to redo the whole system correctly.

After examining the dual outlet header and all the insane piping it has "like silly straws tucked all up under the intake" it got me thinking that this is really just a shorty header with some attempt made to equalize the primaries. The down side is all the tight bends and the immense amount of heat this sucker puts into the intake manifold (its clearance is less than 1/4 inch from the bottom of the intake plenum) which forced me to run a serious header wrap (i know bad for them) to get intake temps back down to somewhat reasonable. Decision time.. I decided to use a Tri-Y design as a replacement the guys at duratrail sent it out to me for free in advance as a warranty replacement for the one with the bad weld. It looks like this one from rugged ridge... http://www.omix-ada.com/images/item/normal/17650.51.jpg. I plan to add the dual 02 sensor bungs to it and cut off the 2.5 collector area and re-weld a 3" outlet to it to prevent any necking down below 3". This will then connect to a custom built 3" mandrel S pipe to a 3" Magnaflow Cat that flows 600 CFM (wish it was more but most i could find in a cat) then into a 3" Magnaflow 24" muffler with a straight through design, from there 3" mandrel bent tailpipe out the back. I plan to use a 3" electric cutout for some added fun pre-cat

Keep in mind I do plan to turbocharge this thing and run at least 15psi on it by the end of Jan, so having the pipe all in one makes bringing it under the engine to the passenger side easier then down. I didn't want to spend too much making a custom dual setup which frankly is what this motor needs.

So the question is, comparing the dual outlet header to the single with the 3" modded collector. Which will flow / perform better? Opinions anyone?
superstingray77
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ

Re: Exhaust System Header Designs.

Post by superstingray77 »

Well the header that showed up looked nothing like the picture so I have to send it back for a credit and start with another vendor.... if anyone has a brand preference that they would like to recommend to me I am all ears. Frankly I dont give a rats about the price to a point just want a quality piece with the largest collectors/tubes I can grab.

Another option i suppose is to repair mine again and make my own 2 into 1 pipe.....
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by YJason »

I've been running the banks dual outlet with header wrap on it for some time now and no issues.
the_wrench116
Donator
Donator

Post by the_wrench116 »

I started with a borla header and modified it from there give me a cell number that accepts pictures I'll text you a picture of it but it won't let me upload attachments right now
92 XJ 4D custom borla header 3" exhaust flowmaster 50series muffler.

ATK on the way then an OBD 2 swap so flyin ryan can tune.