Rear Main Seal leaking already, my fault or Titan's?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
AlexTJ
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Rear Main Seal leaking already, my fault or Titan's?

Post by AlexTJ »

As the title said, I believe that my rear main seal is already leaking after only 10,000 miles on my Titan built stroker. One of the main reasons I got my new engine was because I was tired of all the oil leaks.... The engine is still under Titan's warranty, but do you think I could have caused this? It really should not be happening with these few miles.

EDIT: I guess seals aren't covered under Titan's warranty.....

"TERMS AND CONDITIONS (PLEASE RETAIN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS PORTION FOR YOUR RECORDS)

COVERED COMPONENTS INCLUDE*:

ENGINE- All internally lubricated parts of engine, including pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and rod bearings, camshaft and camshaft bearings, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, oil pump, push rods, rocker arms, hydraulic lifters, rocker arm shafts. The Engine Block and Cylinder Heads are also covered if the above-listed parts caused a mechanical failure. (Does not include any other part other than what is supplied in Long Block Assembly). Parts that require normal manufacturers' recommended replacement intervals are not covered under this warranty. *Seals and gaskets are replaced only as part of repair or replacement of the above covered components.

1. ELIGIBILITY: Titan Engine will warrant each new production engine (Product) to be free of defects in material and workmanship. This will only be applicable when the customer purchases the engine from an authorized Titan Engine dealer. This warranty shall become effective only upon Administrator's receipt of a completed Customer Registration form. Under the terms and conditions of the warranty, all engine repairs or replacements are to be handled by the authorized administrator listed below. This warranty shall remain in effect for three years or 36,000 miles from date of purchase. Odometers must be functional for warranty validation. Purchaser shall pay for all related transportation charges and/or travel time. Registered Owner must ship any product or parts for inspection or repair with prepaid transportation.

2. COVERAGES: In case of a failure within the lubricated parts of the engine of the registered vehicle, the obligation is limited to repairing or replacing defective parts including the replacement of all lost fluids. The limit of liability per covered vehicle is $500.00 per engine (aggregate). If a claim on the engine exceeds the actual cash value of the vehicle and Administrator elects to pay the actual cash value of the vehicle, the vehicle becomes the property of the Administrator for salvage. The registered owner must be able to provide free and clear title prior to Administrator paying. Titan Engine's sole exclusive obligation under this warranty shall be limited to replacing a defective part or parts or, at Administrator's option, replacing such part or parts with new or Titan Engine certified re-manufactured parts as shall be necessary to remedy any malfunction resulting in defects in material workmanship. Titan Engine reserves the right to improve the design of any Product without assuming any obligation to modify any Product previously manufactured. Titan Engine's own mechanics will be used unless Administrator has made other repair arrangements. Any unauthorized repairs will not be paid for under any circumstances.

3. EXCLUSIONS: This warranty applies to defects in material and workmanship, but does not apply to normal worn out parts, tune-ups or to damage caused by:

a) Neglect, over-revving, overheating, abuse, lack of maintenance, pre-ignition, accident, abnormal operation or improper installation. Operation of the Product with fuels, oils, or lubricants that are not suitable for the Product.

b) Warranties of merchantability and fitness are excluded from this warranty. Implied warranties are to the life of this warranty. If the covered components have been tampered with after the purchase from Titan Engine, the customer then assumes the risk. This includes the addition of larger injectors, mass air flow sensors, throttle bodies, computer chips, non-OEM carburators.

c) Use of an accessory i.e.; blower, supercharger or nitrous oxide system.

d) The participating in or the preparation for racing of other competitive activities or in the removal of modification of existing parts for other than their intended use without Titan Engine's expresses authorized permission in writing to said registered owner.

e) Failure of a covered component within the first 90-days, due to improper installation by Installer or failure to follow Titan Engine's installation guidelines or failure to properly pre-oil the Engine will void this warranty and will be the sole responsibility of said Installer. If dirt is found in the engine, the warranty is void.

f) Applications not covered: marine use, 4WD with tires larger than 34".

g) Oil leaks are not covered.

4. EXCEPTIONS: Reasonable access must be provided to the Product for warranty inspection. This warranty will not apply to the following:

a) Administrator is responsible only for covered components as indicated on this registration when originally purchased by the registered owner as appears on the above customer registration form.
b) Administrator is not responsible if the covered components have been abused or damaged in an accident.
c) Administrator is not responsible if the covered components have been tampered or altered with outside a qualified repair shop after installation; registered owner then assumes the risk. Damage or abuse through towing, improper load capacity or continued operation of an impaired vehicle voids this warranty.
d) Blown head gaskets, fluid leaks, cracked heads or block, overheating or other engine failure due to lack of fluids, improper maintenance are not covered.
e) Repairs because of collision, misuse, road conditions, negligence, alterations, racing, fires, floods, riots, vandalism, theft or acts of God are not covered.
f) This warranty does not cover such things as loss of use of the vehicle, loss of earnings, personal damages, per diem expenses or any other consequential or incidental damages.
g) Storage, medical, telephone or rental charges or any type of inconvenience(s) are not covered.

5. MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS: To obtain the benefits provided under this warranty it is the responsibility of the registered owner to:

a) Change the engine oil and oil filter every three (3) months or three thousand (3,000) miles, whichever occur first. Proper documentation and verifiable receipts from a commercial oil change facility for oil and filter changes will be required in the event of a claim. Handwritten receipts will not be accepted. Other service receipts and invoices may be requested in the event of a claim.

b) The installer is responsible for the cleaning of all parts not supplied by the long block. This includes valve covers, manifolds, oil pans, etc.

6. CLAIM PROCEDURE: In case of failure of a covered component, call the Administrator at 1-800-477-8006 for claim validation. You will be required under this warranty to authorize the repair facility to tear down the component for inspection prior to authorization of repair or replacement of failed component. You will be required to pay the cost of the tear down if the mechanical breakdown is not covered by this warranty. Have all required documentation prepared to submit to the Administrator, i.e., a copy of this warranty registration form, proof of maintenance of all covered components as outlined in Item 5, Maintenance Requirements, documented failure of any covered component. Repairs or replacements must be completed at the national labor rate by an ASE Certified repair shop. This warranty is only valid in the United States and Canada. *Failure to receive Administrator authorization prior to any repair work will invalidate any warranty claim. Any interpretation of this agreement will be decided in Titan's venue. It is also understood that both parties specifically waive any right to a jury trial on any matters of issues relating to this warranty or to the manufacture or repair of the products provided by Titan Engine. This warranty is a sole warranty provided by Titan Engine or any of it's parent corporations, officers, employees, agents or representatives and shall be the sole recourse of the purchaser in the event of any failure of the product provided by Titan Engine. The purchaser, by accepting the products from Titan Engine, agrees that this is the only warranty that it will get and that no other warranties, express or implied, whether by law, usage, custom of the industry or trade shall be considered valid or enforceable and are waived, void, and of no force and effect including but not limited to warranties of fitness for a particular purpose and warranties of merchantability.

This is a limited warranty for the product that was supplied by to you by Titan Engine and Titan Engine is providing no other warranty of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose or that the engine will suit your intended use. If the state in which this product is purchased is the State of Florida then this warranty will be governed by the laws of the State of Florida. Titan Engine is not in any way responsible for any consequential damages that may occur as a result of the failure of the engine, including but not limited to, any damages to the vehicle itself, any other components of the vehicle, any personal injury, any property damage suffered as a result of the failure of the engine."

lol I never got a "Customer Registration form" or a "titan installation guide"
97 TJ - 4.7L - Lunati 63502 ftw
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Rear Main Seal leaking already, my fault or Titan's?

Post by Muad'Dib »

This is probably one of the biggest reasons i personally wouldn't buy from anyone a "crate" motor (not just a titan stroker even though i have heard bad things). Half the time companys don't cover anything under warranty.... and you can never guarantee they will do it the way you would want it done.

Anyway, i'm sorry to hear that your leaking from the rear main. At least its a "fairly" easy fix. To answer your question however, no the rear main shouldn't be leaking after 10,000 ... maybe after 100,000.

You do want to make sure that it is actually the rear main though. A leaking valve cover at the rear of the head (towards the firewall) will present itself as a leaking rear main also.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
AlexTJ

Post by AlexTJ »

I really wish I would have taken the time to build my own...

Anyway thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to check the valve cover before I take anything off
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

AlexTJ wrote:I really wish I would have taken the time to build my own...
You and me both.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci

Post by seanyb505 »

I found out most oil leaks will disguise themselves as rear main leaks because the oil hit the oil pan and runs all the way back to the center. My oil filter adapter was leaking and the shop who put it together and I both thought it was the rear main until I fixed it.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
AlexTJ

Post by AlexTJ »

seanyb505 wrote:I found out most oil leaks will disguise themselves as rear main leaks because the oil hit the oil pan and runs all the way back to the center. My oil filter adapter was leaking and the shop who put it together and I both thought it was the rear main until I fixed it.
I had this happen to me before too. I once thought it was the rear main seal but my distributor was cracked and oil was coming out of it!
AlexTJ

Post by AlexTJ »

Update: It looks like its my stupid new oil pan leaking from the drain bolt where it is, for some reason, not getting a good seal.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

AlexTJ wrote:Update: It looks like its my stupid new oil pan leaking from the drain bolt where it is, for some reason, not getting a good seal.
Get a replacement that has the copper or aluminum washer, those things rock. Next do yourself a big favor and only worry about leaks if they actually cause you to replace fluid at more than a quart per maintainance... Not trying to be a smartass here, just saying. Jeeps leak. Short of o-ringing the valve cover there's no much you can do as that spot will eventually leak unless you're incredibly anal about maintaining it.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.