Distributor indexing with aftermarket camshaft

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Distributor indexing with aftermarket camshaft

Post by seanyb505 »

"You should not need to cut the "ears" to correctly position the distributor unless you've installed an aftermarket camshaft." This was taken from Dr Dyno's page on how to properly index the distributor. What if you do have anaftermarket like many of us do? I cant get the ears to line up just right with the bolt hole on the block, do I need to cut them? I know the rotor needs to be at a specific position, does the distributor casing need to be right at that spot too? I cant get it to start and I feel like it has something to do with this. I need help asap!
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: Distributor indexing with aftermarket camshaft

Post by John »

If the window formed by the "ears" and the bolt hole do not line up to drop the bolt into place, on a properly indexed distributor, cut the ears off or open the window by grinding if it is a small amount, I have seen them off just enough to stop the bolt from going in without moving the distributor a small amount, DO NOT MOVE IT, Cut the ears instead.
John
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Well it isnt starting if I have to move it, but how do I know which ear to grind? I cant get it to fit straight on, just a 1/4 inch clockwise or counter clockwise. Would either direction work?
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Hope my PM's to you via the NAXJA board have helped some.
Firstly, make sure you have the no.1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke before you do anything. You may have the distributor off by ~180*. Then, with the rotor locked to the distributor body, install the distributor so that the rotor is pointing at 5 o'clock when viewed from the passenger side. If an ear of the hold-down tang is in the way of the bolt hole, cut it.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

See my thread for results viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90 (It runs now)
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold