2.5l too 2.9 505 stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
poootytwotime
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

2.5l too 2.9 505 stroker

Post by poootytwotime »

This site is awesome for the wealth of information but i want to know
does anyone have thoughts or experience with a 2.5l stroker. :wiggle:
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Re: 2.5l too 2.9 505 stroker

Post by gonridnu »

Without being a smart ass my only thought is why, when 4.0 jeeps are so plentiful. The 2.5 format was a total failure and increasing it a small amount isn't gonna overcome its inherent lack of power. Look around and do the math and I think you will find it is more cost effective to sell yours and buy another. Don't be emotionally attached to a car, save that for a dog, wife, or kidz:)
Jim K in PA
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2005

Post by Jim K in PA »

"total failure" is a bit harsh. 2.5 engines are just as solid and reliable as the 4.0, just 1/3 smaller. In a light Jeep, they do just fine and have done so for decades. However, I agree with the previous poster that stroking a 2.5 is not necessarily a wise investment. In addition, as you get up toward the 3.0 liter mark in a 4 cylinder, harmonics tend to get bad quickly. It will not be a smooth runner without balance shafts (if you care about such things).

But, different strokers for different folks-ers . . . er something . . . :doh: :lol:
Jeepinscott
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Jeepinscott »

I'd love to stroke the 2.5 in my son's cherokee. I bought a 98' with a heating problem and a blown gasket and cracked head for $250. It had a perfect body/interior and even had a/c. I slapped a junkyard head on it and it's a runner. Why? I live in California and we have smog laws. Dropping a 4.0 in it opens up a whole can of worms that is rarely worth doing.
poootytwotime
Vehicle Year: 1995

Post by poootytwotime »

Jim to avoid the harmonics problem would a 2.7 be okay? Ive read the block can be bored .120 over
with 4 inch chevy pistons. I'm also curious about if the thing is bored does that effect compression?