High milage stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

High milage stroker

Post by dwg86 »

Just curious, has anyone out there built a stroker engine and have some milage on it? Say above 75,000 miles. If so, what is your combo? Crank, rods, pistons, cam, lifters, valve springs. With hearing so much about failed strokers (mostly do to camshaft wear), and high compression/detonation problems. It would be nice to hear about a few that went the long haul.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: High milage stroker

Post by Flash »

bump

kinda curious my self........................................
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

I'm up to 1700(helpin the bump)
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

What year/obd1 or obd2? Injectors,cam,rod,pistons? Need ifo man! :?
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

96 OBD2, mopar 30ab cam w/included lifters, lt1 injectors, Sealed Power h825cp30s on 4.2 rods, 10:1 comp using 93 oct at sea level w/o pinging.
gremlinsteve
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by gremlinsteve »

so the 96 would be similar to the same with/as a 2006 model right?
so hows the tune?
have you measured the A/F ratio?
any idle issue??

steve
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I'm running a little rich right now and can't properly tune the psc1-002 until I pony up $450 for the lm-2 that I want. I know that the majority of people would be completely satisfied with the way it runs currently as it is seamless in it's acceleration throughout the rpms(since I ditched the stock 23.2s for the LT1s that are 25.5 on the 49psi rail that you also have). I just want to get the most out of it(lean it out where it is rich at idle, for one, and maybe richen it up if more power can be made at WOT. I have Mopar's stage 3 30ab cam so there is a slight lope at idle(can't really fool anyone that it isn't modified if they hear the exhaust note).
jeepinwi
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by jeepinwi »

I'm at 24,000 miles, and all is well. I did have a head gasket that was leaking oil externally and also leaking compression which caused a cylinder 6 misfire. Since replacing the head gasket, the engine is running stronger and smoother. I am running 25 lb Ford Mustang injectors(not the common 24 lb ones), 60mm throttle body, and stock exhaust. I know the engine is choked from both the intake and exhaust, but it runs very smooth with the stock computer.
99 Cherokee SE - 2 door, 4x4, 4.6L stroker, 5 speed, 8.25 rear, 60mm TB, stock exhaust
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Which HG did you go with?
jeepinwi

Post by jeepinwi »

I'm using a Victor Reinz .043" head gasket. This is the same gasket I used when I built the engine, but it started to leak at 20,000 miles. Hopefully this one will do better.
99 Cherokee SE - 2 door, 4x4, 4.6L stroker, 5 speed, 8.25 rear, 60mm TB, stock exhaust
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

jeepinwi wrote:I'm at 24,000 miles, and all is well. I did have a head gasket that was leaking oil externally and also leaking compression which caused a cylinder 6 misfire. Since replacing the head gasket, the engine is running stronger and smoother. I am running 25 lb Ford Mustang injectors(not the common 24 lb ones), 60mm throttle body, and stock exhaust. I know the engine is choked from both the intake and exhaust, but it runs very smooth with the stock computer.
NEED MORE INFO!!! :huh: What cam, lifters, valve springs, pistons, oil pump, crank, rods? What kind of oil have you been running?
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

dwg86 wrote:
jeepinwi wrote:I'm at 24,000 miles, and all is well. I did have a head gasket that was leaking oil externally and also leaking compression which caused a cylinder 6 misfire. Since replacing the head gasket, the engine is running stronger and smoother. I am running 25 lb Ford Mustang injectors(not the common 24 lb ones), 60mm throttle body, and stock exhaust. I know the engine is choked from both the intake and exhaust, but it runs very smooth with the stock computer.
NEED MORE INFO!!! :huh: What cam, lifters, valve springs, pistons, oil pump, crank, rods? What kind of oil have you been running?

forgot the most important part of it all, which oil are you using?

~Alex
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
jeepinwi

Post by jeepinwi »

Crane 753905 cam
Sealed Power lifters
Stock valve springs
Sealed Power 525P pistons(made for a Jeep 2.5L 4 cylinder)
Melling HV oil pump
crank and rods from a 85 4.2L

I broke in the engine with Rotella T 15w40 and a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. First oil change was at 500 miles. Second oil change was Valvoline 5w30 with 1 quart of Lucas. 2nd oil change at 3,000 miles. Since then, I have not used one oil consistantly. For a while I was using a cheap farm grade 10w40 oil that was $13 for 2 gallons. The past 2 oil changes, I've been using Rotella T 5w40 synthetic.

When I changed the head gasket at 21,000 miles, there was almost zero wear to the cam lobes. The lifters were perfect also.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

dwg86 wrote:Just curious, has anyone out there built a stroker engine and have some milage on it? Say above 75,000 miles. If so, what is your combo? Crank, rods, pistons, cam, lifters, valve springs. With hearing so much about failed strokers (mostly do to camshaft wear), and high compression/detonation problems. It would be nice to hear about a few that went the long haul.
My stroker's done 49k miles and it runs like a champ. Only problem was Crane 753905 cam/lifter failure at 34k miles. Replaced them with stock cam/new lifters and been OK ever since (knock on wood).
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
kris

Post by kris »

jeepinwi wrote: Crane 753905 cam
Sealed Power lifters
Stock valve springs
The stock springs are working with the Crane cam ?
They arent binding ?
Open pressure is good ?

kris.