SCAT Crankshaft Snout Grooves

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
petergunz1
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

SCAT Crankshaft Snout Grooves

Post by petergunz1 »

I just received a new 4.2L Scat crankshaft and noticed the groves that are suppose to be in the snout that insert through the timing set and the harmonic balancer are not there. I am not sure what these are called, but are these something that I need to buy separately and have them pressed in?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petergunz1

Re: SCAT Crankshaft Snout Grooves

Post by petergunz1 »

Nevermind, I answered my own question. They are the crankshaft keys. Still don't know where to get them or why they didn't come with the crank.
92tank
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by 92tank »

use side cutters to take the ones out of your old crank and clean them with a file you put grooves in them
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Use a punch tap from the end on top and roll them out or a chisel and go at them from the bottom side, punch, chisel or dykes you'll probably need to dress the "woodruff" keys with a file, tap them back into your new crank.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I've never seen a crank come with them. The one for the harmonic balancer can be gotten from lowes or home depot or ace. I don't know about the one for the cam gear though. I know it can be had through the dealer, but it might not be available ins a hardware store.
petergunz1

Post by petergunz1 »

As it turns out, these little guys are hard to find. I went to the dealer today since I needed to pick up some other stuff and they can get the key for the harmonic balancer, but the diagram showing the key for the timing set was listed for a 1993 Wrangler. They were only $2 so I ordered them all. The rep from Scat stated that any 3/16 x 3/4 key will work and that they should be available at NAPA.