Rich Idle

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
PinkJeepGirl
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Rich Idle

Post by PinkJeepGirl »

So i have 1990 Cherokee 4.6 stroker. it seems to be running rich at idle. WOT is okay. we have replaced everything under the hood but my jeep is running rich at idle still.

We have ...
used 24lbs injects and stock
new o2 sensor,
e3 plugs,
adjustable fpr,
bored renix throttle body,
added an AEM wideband ( The wideband says around 14 idle and maxes out the gauge when revving past 17, which should be lean. Fuel pressure at 35psi)
changed back to rc9's
all new sensors

was told should have around 18in at the min. of vacuum and we have 12in ( dont want to retard the cam back b.c we want low end torque) I'm sure this is part of my problem but not sure how to get more vacuum

I'm lost as what to do. any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated! I'm to the point where i will pay someone to fix the issue, if we cant figure it out. (only really got to drive it 1 good time before the issue!)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Rich Idle

Post by SilverXJ »

Where are you getting the idea that it is running rich? 14.7:1 at idle is about where the PCM wants the AFR at idle. It will keep 14.7:1 except during warm up, during no load decel and at WOT. The WOT AFR should be closer to 12.5:1. 17:1 is very lean, what does it do while actually driving it, not reving it? You should be using a single decimal place when talking about AFR numbers.