PORT AND POLISH 4.0 HEAD NEW ENGINE

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHERKEE

PORT AND POLISH 4.0 HEAD NEW ENGINE

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

HELLO, EVERY ONE NEW TO THE SITE I HAVE A QUESTION. I OWN A 92 JEEP CHERKEE LAREDO REBUILT ENGINE (TO FACTORY SPEC) PORT AND POILSH THE HEAD, ADJUSTABLE MAP SENSOR, ADJUSTABLE FUEL REGULATOR,ACEL INGITION,MSD WIRE'S, BANKS HEADER, AND A FLOW MASTER MUFFLER I ONLY PUT ABOUT 50 MILES ON IT BY :frustrated: DRIVEING IT AROUND MY BLOCK AND KEEPING UNDER 50MPH.......MY QUESTION IS MY ENGINE DOESNT START ON THE FRIST TRY. WHEN IT DOES START AND IS IDLEING WELL IF I TRY TO SLAM ON THE GAS IT WANTS TO DIE OUT AND WILL BACK FIRE SOME TIMES. WHEN I CHECK THE TIMMING WITH THE TIMMING LIGHT THE ONLY WEIRD THING I SEE IS THE TIMMING ADVANCE'S REALLY HIGH WHEN I REV THE ENGINE. I WAS WOUNDERING IF ANY ONE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM WHEN THE PORT AND POILSH THE CYL HEAD? AND IF SO ANY SUGGESTION ON WHAT I COULD TRY? I REALLY LOVE THIS THING JUST TRYING TO GET IT TUNE UP RIGHT.

PS: HAS NEW CHAMPION SPARK PLUGS..... IVE HEARD THAT I MAY NEED A (COLDER SPARK PLUG NOT SURE IF THAT RIGHT OR WELL EVEN HELP)

THANK IN ADVANCE ! 8-)
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Re: PORT AND POLISH 4.0 HEAD NEW ENGINE

Post by 4.whoa »

Did you have the adj map with the old engine? If not switch it back. Being its basically a stock build you really shouldn't need it. :cheers:
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

Part 2. Sorry I'm on my phone and its not cooperating :roll: I can't see how a port n polish would be causing a problem - a little better airflow never hurts. Good luck :mrgreen:
-Russ

JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT, NO I DIDN'T HAVE THE ADJUSTABLE MAP SENSOR BEFORE I REBUILT THE ENGINE I ONLY BOUGHT IT BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT MIGHT HELP WITH THE HESITATION AND BACKFIRING. I KNOW THESE ENGINE RUN PRETTY LEAN FROM THE FACTORY AND I WAS THINKING IT MAY HAVE BEEN AN ISSUE WITH THE HEAD NOW BEING PORT AND POLISH. I REPLACE THE FUEL INJECTORS ALL NEW, IT HAS NEW PLUG'S, WIRES, CAP & ROTOR, THE DISTBUTOR IS SET TO THE RIGHT STROKE AND IS T.D.C. THE ONLY THING THAT I THINK MAY BE CAUSE IT IS THAT THE GAS TANK DID HAD SOME OLD GAS IN IT. I HAVE PUT SOME NEW GAS AND CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER, I WILL ADMIT IT WAS PRETTY DIRTY BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WOULD CAUSE THIS KIND OF PROBLEM. DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE A ENGINE GROUND PROBLEM? I HAVE THE FACTORY GROUND CABLE ATTACH, DO YOU THINK ADDING ADDITONAL STRAP OR REPLACING MY CURRENT ONE WOULD HELP?

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS ! 8-)
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

You said you're running an accel ign. Is it just the coil, or something more? What size inj's did you use? How much plug gap? I just use the factory ground and its been fine, just make sure its metal 2 metal. I've been using a manifold bolt so I don't need to bother scraping off my new paint ;)
-Russ

JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

YEAH THE IGN. IS JUST THE COIL, THE FUEL INJ ARE OEM , MY SPARK PLUG ARE GAP TO FACTORY SPEC (GAP.35) AS WELL, ALTHOUGH I HAVE NOTICE FROM TIME TO TIME THEY ARE "WET".WITH GAS THIS IS ALSO WHEN I HAVE THE MOST PROBLEMS TRYING TO START IT. ONCE IT DOES START IT IDLES OK. BUT IF I REV IT UP PAST 3500 RPM IT WILL OCCASIONALLY BACK FIRE, AND IF I SLAM ON THE GAS ON DRIVE IT DOESNT RESPOND RIGHT A WAY OR HAS HESTITON. SO NOT TO SURE WHAT GOING ON? :brickwall: I EVEN BOUGHT AN EXTAR CPU THINKING MY OLD ONE WAS BAD, STILL HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I WAS THINKING OF INCRESEING THE GAP ON THE PLUGS BUT I AM NOT SURE HOW FAR TO GO? OR GETTING A COLDER PLUG? :huh: MY GROUND CABLE LOOKS PRETTY SOILD I HAVE IT BOLTED TO THE FRAME AS WELL.

AM SO TEMPTED, TO GO CARB AN RIP OUT THE FUELINJEACTION. BUT I DONT KNOW IF THAT WELL SLOVE ANYTHING. 8-)

PS: KICK ASS !!!! XJ ON YOUR PROFILE, DO REALLY RACE THAT? WHAT ARE TIME'S .
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

Have you double checked the dist. indexing?
AM SO TEMPTED, TO GO CARB AN RIP OUT THE FUELINJEACTION. BUT I DONT KNOW IF THAT WELL SLOVE ANYTHING.
X2 on that. I'm certain I fried my ecm :x any attempt @ over 1/2 throttle over 2000 rpm it would pop like it was lean. VERY embarrassing when your engine sticks out of the hood :oops: (and it would ALWAYS do it when people were around :roll:

PS: KICK ASS !!!! XJ ON YOUR PROFILE, DO REALLY RACE THAT? WHAT ARE TIME'S
Thanks 8-) yeah I do -did. Every weak link i upgrade just shows me another :brickwall: So far its only been 14.7 but 60' is down to low 1.90's with the wheels about 6"-10" up (per guy on the starting line) :rockout: Pulled engine and put it in my 4x4 everything same but the o2 sensor .....engine runs perfect now.
-Russ

JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

WOW, THAT PRETTY IMPRESSIVE FOR AN I-LINE, I BET YOU TURN ALOT HEAD'S AT THE STRIP WITH THAT THING, YOU JUST DONT SEE THAT EVERY DAY. WELL I GUESS THIS WEEKEND IS SHOT FOR ME, I WILL TRY IT AGAIN NEXT WEEKEND AND SEE IF I CAN FIGURE THIS THING OUT THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTION'S. I AM GOING TO DOUBLE CHECK THE TIMMING NEXT WEEKEND, AND GROUND. ONE THING I DID NOTICE LAST NIGHT WAS THAT I HAD TURN THE ENGINE ON AND TURN OFF MY PORCH LIGHT SO IT WAS PITCH BLACK OUT SIDE ( I LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE) AND I DID NOTICE THAT I COULD SEE WHAT LOOK LIKE SPARK PLUG "ARC" BUT NOT JUST ON THE PLUG WIRES BUT ON THE THE EGINE ITSELF. I KNOW IT SOUND WEIRD BUT IT LOOK LIKE A BLUE PLUSE OF LIGHT TRAVELING AROUND THE ENGINE.... AND NO I DIDNT SMOKE ANYTHING AND I WASNT DRUNK LOL :cheers: BUT IT DID MAKE ME WOUNDER ABOUT THE GROUND CABLE AGAIN, I RE CHECK MY WIRES BUT THEY WERE ALL GOOD THEY ARE VERY NEW, SO I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. ANY WAYS LOVE TO SEE MORE PICS OF THAT XJ ENGINE STAY COOL! 8-)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

JEEP DRIVER wrote:I COULD SEE WHAT LOOK LIKE SPARK PLUG "ARC" BUT NOT JUST ON THE PLUG WIRES BUT ON THE THE EGINE ITSELF. I KNOW IT SOUND WEIRD BUT IT LOOK LIKE A BLUE PLUSE OF LIGHT TRAVELING AROUND THE ENGINE....
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

Well, have you had any luck figuring it out? :?: Gotta admit I'm curious about the arcing.
-Russ

JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

NOPE....I CHECK THE GROUND CABLE AGAIN NOTHING THERE; I HAVE NO IDEA WHY IT IS "ARCING" LIKE THAT, I AM GOING TO TRY TO TAKE SOME PIC'S OR A VEDO OF IT THEN POST IT. OH,I THINK I HAVE FOUND WHY MY ENGINE WAS BACK FIERING AND NOT RESPONEDING WILL, WHEN I STEP ON THE GAS. I NOTICE THAT THERE WAS GAS LEAKING FROM THE "LOCK RING ON THE GAS TANK" I GUESS I DIDNT PUT IT ON RIGHT WHEN I REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP :oops: I AM GOING TO GET A NEW RING AND GASKET; MY ORGINAL DONT LOOK LIKE IT 'S GOING TO LAST LONG, I DONT KNOW IF THAT WOULD CAUSE THE ENGINE PROBELMS IVE BEEN HAVEING, BUT IT'S NEEDS TO BE FIX EITHER WAY SO I HOPE THAT IS ONE PROBELM SOLVE,I WILL KNOW THIS WEEKEND WHEN I REPLACE IT. 8-)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Yes, do get a video of that. You say the light is traveling around the engine?

The fuel ring leaking shouldn't have anything to do with your hesitation issue.
JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

WELL, I REPLACE THE "LOCK RING" AND GASKET ON THE JEEP (MAN THAT WAZ A PAIN IN THE ASS!) :x ,TOOK IT OUT FOR A SPIN THE ENGINE ACTUALLY RAN A LITTLE BITTER, AND STATRED UP QUICKLY. :banana: I AM STARTING TO THINK IT JUST MIGHT BE THIS OLD GAS IN THE SYSTEM IT SEEM LIKE THE MORE I RUN IT AND KEEP PUTTING FRESH GAS IN IT IT RUNS A LITTLE BIT BETTER, WILL I SEE HOW IT GOES GOING TO TRY TO RECORD THE "LIGHT SHOW TONGIHT" WEATHER PERMITTING 8-)
Don H Jr
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1994

Breaking/vs. Braking a bran NEW ENGINE

Post by Don H Jr »

JEEP DRIVER: WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP WRITING IN CAPS? It's considered, "yelling," in internet talk. It's also hard to read. It's really too bad your new engine is getting broken in when running so rough. It happens quite abit to folks with new 4.?s; so you are in familiar company. It's tough, I'm going through it right now. I'm gathering parts for my stroker and my 259,000+ orginal motor is for the first time kicking up to beat the band.
All those good miles, with a minimum of home maint and lots of good oil and plugs, and lots of dist caps and rotors for some reason I just figured out over the past month. I found cracked coil in three places, a leaky exhaust manifold letting cold air into the exhaust just before the Oxy Sensor, and a stretched timing chain and a leaky vaccum brake booster and last but not least: a distributor shaft worn at the bushing and at the shims and also had the bottom where it goes in the oil pump all beat up.
I stopped looking for new things at the moment and will fire it up this evening with my new Accel Super Coil made in China I just found out (should have bought the MSD coil like i wanted to in first place.) I guess my wife/part-time parts chaser for me didn't realize I changed my mind about the Accel when she was picking one of the two up for me. ESP works between spouses, sometimes anyway, just not about car parts I guess.
PS: The "rebuild dist from NAPA" was a piece of dukey. I knew to go to the dealer for that part too. They, "re machined the cam gear on the dist shaft," they used the old one. They ground it too small on the teeth and the dist case itself where it enters the block was two thousanths or so too big to fit down the hole. I hate getting parts and wasting my time. Again, my old dist goes back in till I find somebody to help me find and install a bushing and shim no one will have at first and no one wants to help rebuild these things anymore. Last time it happened was a Honda I owned and refused to pay 400 bucks for new dist. Last machine shop in Tacoma also said no to me. I begged and offered to pay 65 an hour to him for as long as it took to get it fixed.
The next afternoon I get a call to pick it up. New up graded bearing he bought at the bearing shop a couple a blocks from his shop. I gave him a 100 dollar bill and felt lucky. I hate to go through all that again but I will. When I was a kid we rebuilt distributors, generators and starters at home in the shop all the time. Now it's done in Mexico/China/with no standards or specs. Part of it is the USA's fault for not holding their feet to the fire. Even the Optima battery I finally broke down and bought my self for a Christmas present, I found out is made by funky standards now by a company who bought Optima out. I think they might be in Mexico too. Lots of stuff about how the fail these days; sorry I ever bought it now.

O....h........for the old days. When gay meant you were overly happy and smack meant you just got hit or smacked somebody else, lol!

Don Jr
Gig Harbor, WA
SFC, Retired US Army/Army National Guard
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

Don, try autozone for a dist. look it up as a cam sensor. Got 1 for my '94 complete with cam gear think it was $40-60, but it was a while ago. Stocked on shelf too. With that kind of mileage on it the cam and dist gear might kill each other ,mine did :doh:
-Russ