Resizing rods for strokers

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
tirod
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Resizing rods for strokers

Post by tirod »

Aside from other issues in building a stroker, piston travel and it's TDC position in the bore seems problematic. Apparently the 258 crank/rod combo leaves a 4.0 piston sitting down in the bore about .040, which messes up quench. I'm leaving the small chamber/high C.R. thing out of this for now.

You can deck, or have custom pistons made, or just live with it. But, why not have the rods resized to accomodate the .040, as in make the centers further apart? Is .020 each end too much for the existing factory design? I think it would be a lot cheaper than custom pistons if it could be done. Maybe the pin end could take more offset than the crank, but even if it's just a improvement of .020 as a normal machining cost, what could it hurt?

Darn Engine Masters makes me drink coffee and think a lot.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Resizing rods for strokers

Post by dwg86 »

I don't see how that os possible. On the small end you would have to bore the small end bigger and the install a bushing, and then have it bore off center, but the wrist pins are a press fit in the rods, so that would't work. You would need clips in the pistons to retain the rod, which would mean custom pistons. On the big end, I wouldn't want to remove that much from the cap. Its the only thing keeping the rod connected to the crank under sever loads. I think the new KB piston is going to be the best way to go.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

On the crank end of the rod, you would have to increase the distance between centers, which throw split between the cap and rod off center. I don't think the bearings would fit properly.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
FrankZ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6l

Post by FrankZ »

It's much easier to just buy a piston with the proper pin height.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

I like you thinking, But, it would require a floating piston pin(Custom piston)

As Frank said.......,It's much easier to just buy a piston with the proper pin height.

From tying to read between the line on one of Hesco discutions.........this is what he does with his rods...................only he buy then as a raw casting and punches the holes here he likes them ;)

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
astjp2
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by astjp2 »

offset grind the crank to get the .040, I did it .020 and shaved the block .020 for a .000 deck and with the .048 compressed gasket, it was perfect. Tim