Anybody run a OEM renix cam in a stroker?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
ccpanel
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 275
Vehicle Year: 1950
Vehicle Make: chevy
Vehicle Model: truck

Anybody run a OEM renix cam in a stroker?

Post by ccpanel »

planning on running 802cp pistons, block decked 10 or 20, 258 crank/rods... and debating between 231-4 comp cam and the OEM renix 87-95 cam which another poster told me is the MC 809 from Melling.

anybody running OEM renix in a stroker?

what other motor specs?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Anybody run a OEM renix cam in a stroker?

Post by Cheromaniac »

I'm running a '92 OEM cam which is the same as the Renix cam. I think the only difference between the Renix and early HO cams was the intake centerline angle that they were installed at. The HO cam is installed 8 degrees retarded to reduce cylinder pressures at low rpm and allow 87 octane to be used without pinging since the HO engine doesn't have a knock sensor.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
mendelmax
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by mendelmax »

My stroker also uses it, but I think you'd do better getting some performance cam. I regret using it and I still wait to swap it for something more aggressive.

On the other hand, I'm still thinking about using 1.7 rockers instead of cam change. With it's mild profile there should be no problem.

BUT, here's an important info- I made a calculation mistake and ended up with very, VERY poor DCR. This is the main reason of power loss, not the cam itself.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

I don't want to highjack this thread, but I am curious...what is your DCR?
mendelmax

Post by mendelmax »

dwg86 wrote:I don't want to highjack this thread, but I am curious...what is your DCR?
About 7:1. I was doing it when there was no CR calculator on this forum, now this mistake wouldn't have happened :doh:

I will fix it some with cam advance soon (hope to get to 7.4 range with +4*), but sooner or later I will have to tear it apart and shave the block a bit. I wanted to get victor reinz gasket to achieve better quench, but we were in horrible rush (my friend needed his car back on the road as soon as possible), with very limited funds, therefore we had to use stock gasket and ended up with crappy 0.09" quench, which also robs power. Whole project, including calculations, getting parts and machine work took us less than a month. In the end, we had only 110rwhp, but with snorkel, oem intake and exhaust. Probably the tranny was slipping. Now we changed the intake and exhaust, together with 98' AW4 and the rig is faster, but I haven't dynoed it yet. We still have to work on WOT AFR though.

Getting back to the subject, the good thing with renix cam is that the IVC angle is so huge, that it helps to lower DCR in case of tight quench and pistons with small dish. So it's good for a budget build.