Temp gremlins? HELP!

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
crustodd
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Temp gremlins? HELP!

Post by crustodd »

Hey Jeepers,
I am having some weird temp issues, AGAIN :x I have 4600-ish miles on my stroker now. High flow Hesco H20 pump, new 180 T-Stat, ported T-Stat housing, new radiator about 6K ago, Both fans, main and A/C, working correctly. Has been runnin' around 190-210 on the gauge, with air temps 70-80 in Oregon right now. Two days ago I washed/detailed it. Sprayed water around the wiper posts/cowl vents. Next day temp gauge is runnin' around 160-170??? Next day it's up over 230-240??? Not over heating as far as steam, boiling over, etc. Are the sending units at the back of the head tempermental about getting wet? I've noticed that they seem configured oddly with the male end of the wiring plugging in to the open gauge fitting, which point up like a tiny "cup". It's the only thing I can think of. I pulled the T-Stat and tested it in a pan of boiling water. Worked fine. I had weird temp problem a few thousand miles back and when I replaced the temp sending unit it fixed it. Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks,
T~
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Temp gremlins? HELP!

Post by SilverXJ »

I would fill the cup you talk about on the sensor with some dielectric grease and see what happens. Do you have a weather seal between the hood and cowl?
crustodd
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: Temp gremlins? HELP!

Post by crustodd »

Hey Silver,
Yeah, it does have the seal for the hood and it's in good shape. The sending unit is the only thing I can think of it being though. Even when it's been up at 230-240, it's not boiling over. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
T~