AW-4 Aisin Warner Automatic Transmission

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Re: AW-4 Aisin Warner Automatic Transmission

Post by Texacoon »

BINGO! :cheers: BINGO!
Well! Fellas ... After a month or more looking for modifications of the AW4 [shift kit] ....
I have found one for us! ..

Check out: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,make,JEEP,vtype,US

1990 JEEP WRANGLER ISLANDER 4.2L 258cid L6 (T) : Transmission-Automatic : Shift Kit
ATP Part # TK2 {ATP Improver Kit} Price $25.79

However, there is a tag with the following info:

Uhmmmmmm :roll: What good is having a shift kit then?
Guess I will have to call and find out.....

However! if you need to overhaul your AW4 they carry kits as well!
Overhaul repair sets go for the following:
Overhaul Kit $64.79
Master Kit $219.79
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Are you sure that is for the AW4? I don't think Wranglers ever used the AW4.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Texacoon wrote:. An may look into changing only the filter, gasket and use Royal Purple ... I have really liked Royal Purple in all of my vehicles! .. It has to be one of the best oils on the market ..
I wouldn't use anything but DexIII in the AW4. I have heard of people having problems with the AW4 and fluids such as synthetics. I run Amsoil synthetic in my diffs, transfer case, and in my engine when it is ready, but I wouldn't put it in the AW4.. just some food for thought.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

I am going to have to agree with you ... Just found several topics [other blogs] discussing synthetics e.g. Mobile 1 ATF ... Apparently the design of the AW4 has to have a fluid that is not overly slipperily on the clutches....

YUP! I will stay with the Dextron fluid... Like you add the synthetics to the engine and axles... Matter of fact being a Toyota tranny .. it's even recommended to use Toyota ATF .. ???
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

SilverXJ wrote:Are you sure that is for the AW4? I don't think Wranglers ever used the AW4.

My '90 Jeep Islander is a Wrangler .. Even the title states "Wrangler" does not list it as a "YJ" ...

However, I'm a little confused with the names .. For 1990 they had the Islander, Laredo, and a plan Wrangler .. They came either with the 4cyl or I6cyl .. auto or standard. The only thing I could think of was the package of the vehicle that was offered when buying the Jeep..

I'm no expert, but still having some growing pains with the various makes and models .... CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ etc....
Too Damn many "J's" ... LOL!

Someone may want to correct me on my information ...
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Here you go on the Jeep names: https://secure.bluehost.com/~gotwords/r ... eepid.html

I tried to get info from Level 10 and they just sent me some generic form for import transmissions and converters and an article published in a 4x4 magazine for a Chrysler Co transmission. They didn't tell me what they coudl do to out transmissions aside from the prices. For the torque converter to modify yours: $998, for a new one: $1879 . On the transmission to modify yours: $3998, for a new one: $4999.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

Thanks Silver!

BOY! Aren't those prices sad! ..LOL! ..

I could probably see it if I was into full time racing with them as my sponsor .. I can not believe they would even bother trying to get that kind of money out of folks like us ...

Not sure how you feel .. But I want a Bailout for my Jeep! ..
Figure ooooh! $15K will have my jeep just the way I want it...

Guess the rich will always be richer? .. OH WAIT! Not according to OBAMA!

I know I shouldn't dicuss politics on the site ... But with prices like these, "Heck! I couldn't resist"...
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Texacoon wrote: I could probably see it if I was into full time racing with them as my sponsor .. I can not believe they would even bother trying to get that kind of money out of folks like us ...
They don't know who "us" is. For all they know I could be a millionaire with a soft spot for a Cherokee. The also can't give us one price and others another price. However, I don't think I will be buying anything from them. Prices too high for me and I asked for specifics and what I got was generic information with prices attached to them. They product make a good product, but not for me.
Not sure how you feel .. But I want a Bailout for my Jeep!
You and me both.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

My aw4 in my XJ, or cherokee, has 160K on it. It had/has an overheating problem when I bought it. Found that out with an unhappy motorcycle rider behind me as the trans started dumping fluid all over in the summer heat and stop and go traffic. I did 2 things to fix this, first I slapped on a trans cooler, second I looked on car-part.com and found a replacement with only 50k on it for $125 plus core. The trans cooler has taken care of the problem for 2 years now, hope the replacement is still good when the original finally does go.
Texacoon,I don't want to tell you're wrong, but I think you are. Like silverxj said, the aw4 was never put in a wrangler of any year. The YJ (wrangler 1995 or earlier) only got 3 speeds. :huh:
Last edited by oletshot on March 3rd, 2009, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

Well like the ole saying goes! " I'm in the same boat with you!" ... LOL! ....

I don't think I'll be buying their product anytime soon ... Not to mention, I would still be hard pressed to buy it even if I won the lottery .. LOL! .....
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

I disagree strongly with Novac's opinion, and honestly don't know where they got it from... The people and places most intimately familier with AW4's are NAXJA and us (the original Yahoo group), Comanche Club etc. You wont find too many people who wouldn't quickly agree with the "bullet proof" label.

3 Xj's and 1 MJ, all over 150k only one I can say that needs/needed an AW4 to be replaced... It has over 230,000 miles on it the last 60,000 of which have been behind the 4.6 stroker in my XJ

One too many wide open blasts entering the highway when the thing was still cold and I got a very sharp jerk at shift (actually chirps the tires a tiny amount it's that hard), ever since then it will do the same thing if I put my foot in it cold and recently started to slip when steady cruising at exactly 65 MPH...

60,000 miles behind a 300+ ft-lb stroker with an RV cam and a lead footed owner after 170k miles of daily use that's bullet proof in my book.

Hey Yuppie that one you bashed doesn't happen to be the one you gave me a couple years ago does it?
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

oletshot wrote:Texacoon,I don't want to tell you're wrong, but I think you are. Like silverxj said, the aw4 was never put in a wrangler of any year. The YJ (wrangler 1995 or earlier) only got 3 speeds. :huh:
Totally understand and no arguments here .... My vehicle is a 1990 Jeep Islander ...
I can only go by what is on my 1990 title and what other web sites calls the model "a Wrangler"..

Here's an example: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,make, ... 0,vtype,US
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

i overheated mine in my 92 kee a few times, scared the crap out of me the first time. wouldnt grab for nothin. but, let it cool off, drive it real nice the next day, good as new. sounds bulletproof to me too!
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

The AW4 never came in a Wrangler it is too long, it has been adapted in by a few people.

Tex: Wrangler is the name Chrysler gave the Universal military derived Jeep, previously it was known only as the "CJ" for Civilian Jeep followed by a number. Chrysler's first revision was called the "YJ" but given the consumer brand name Wrangler to differentiate it from the Jeep brand to get people to stop thinking of the universal Jeep as "the Jeep" and more as "one of the Jeep models". It worked. Older people still call everything from a Land Rover to an FJ to a Wrangler a "Jeep" while most of us younger than 50's mean the brand name Jeep when we say it.

The "YJ" Wrangler was the first "Wrangler" all YJ's have square headlights, wider track than a CJ, but otherwise almost every part can be bolted from the YJ to a CJ and vice versa... The CJ series of universal Jeeps ended in 1986, the YJ was born in 1987 and was built until 1995 All YJ's were "wranglers" some of them also had "option group" names like Islander, Sahara, Renegade etc. They are purely cosmetic versions and they are ALL called YJ's and Wranglers... Of them only the Sahara in my opinion is interesting at all, because of the nice canvas heavy cotton duck seats, which I like.

In 1997 they redesigned many aspects and this was also called the Wrangler but designated the "TJ" it got many changes including a return to round headlights, coil spring suspension a new interior, and MOST of the TJ's stuff DOES NOT bolt to a YJ... It also had even more "option group" or "trim" names like the Golden Eagle all of the YJ names and the Willys, a Columbia edition, and more other nonsensical names. With one exception that are all just cosmetic and not considered true variations, so most of us wont even use the name of an option package, except Sahara owners and the Rubicon which is the one exception (it is actually a functional variant of the TJ that came with lockers and lower gearing bigger tires etc.)... Late in the TJ run they made the LJ wrangler which has a longer scrambler (CJ-8) style wheel base and rear tub.

In 2006 the TJ ended and the JK was released. It's still called a Wrangler but is drastically different than any other previous universal Jeep...

So among Jeepers we very often refer to our Jeeps only with the manufacturers code... YJ CJ TJ, JK are all universal military Jeeps but there's also Cherokee's = XJ Comanche's = MJ You will hear these last two a lot around here. Grand cherokee's = ZJ, newer = WJ new Cherokee (which most Jeepers don't consider a real Cherokee) = WK and there are others. You'll find more info at the link posted by SilverXJ <-- now his nick tells you something XJ = Silver Cherokee)

Man I must have had too much coffee didn't mean to write a history lecture!
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

You did good on the history! Ibolt ...
Many I am sure are curious to know the history of the legendary Jeep.. How all the names arrived and how the options were listed... Good Job! .. Enjoyed reading the info ..