Billet roller cam

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
oldseddie
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: Billet roller cam

Post by oldseddie »

My NASCAR engine builder buddy suggests I use the race type bronze lifter bore liners with the key and slotted lifters. He builds engines this way every day and they hold up well. His motors will turn 10,000 if asked to but are limited by NASCAR's gear ratio rules.
Delk

Post by Delk »

I am not so worried about a patten I would just like to see it get built. It would be nice to put in the supercharged stroker I am putting together. But that project is on hold since I am packing the jeep and moving to the UK.

Delk
Delk
98 Wrangler, 4.6 stroker, Dana 44's 5.13 gears and lots of dents
61 Land rover 2A
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

oldseddie wrote:My NASCAR engine builder buddy suggests I use the race type bronze lifter bore liners with the key and slotted lifters. He builds engines this way every day and they hold up well. His motors will turn 10,000 if asked to but are limited by NASCAR's gear ratio rules.
That would be a simple solution to the lifter problem............but would be two pricey for most.

The AMC V 8 Hyd roller would be way cheaper and would not require a machinist to install them or a complete disassembly of the eng ..........with the V8 AMC Hyd rollers, simple modification to the lifter would get the job done.............all throw it hasn't been proved in a running eng.........But then again, nether has any thing else

Don't get me wrong Slotted lifter bore would be a grate idea and has benefits, such as easy removal and replacement of the lifters, a virgin lifter bore,...............

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988

Post by Plechtan »

Ok, I read all the posts on the other thread, and all the posts here, I guess the first thing i have to say is that I was looking at a Solid lifter roller cam, probably using Mopar lifters.

Crane will make a 1 off for about $800. They use 8620 steel billet, so no casting. Seems like the best deal. As soon as I get the Flow numbers on My head and Intake, i will be ordering one.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Flash

Post by Flash »

Plechtan wrote:Ok, I read all the posts on the other thread, and all the posts here, I guess the first thing i have to say is that I was looking at a Solid lifter roller cam, probably using Mopar lifters.

Crane will make a 1 off for about $800. They use 8620 steel billet, so no casting. Seems like the best deal. As soon as I get the Flow numbers on My head and Intake, i will be ordering one.
Way Cool!!!!!!
You will be the first to do this :cheers:
What kind of lifter are you going to use(I know it will be a solid lifter) and how are you going to hold the lifter.........

You said you were going to go with the mopar lifter..........How are you going to hold it in place?

Flash

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

When i said Mopar lifter, I meant a lifter designed for a Mopar V8. Probably use Crane roller rockers, since they will be grinding the Cam. Probably go with the tie bar style.
Peter Lechtanski
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

This project makes me excited :twisted:
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Flash

Post by Flash »

Plechtan,
How are you going to oil the top end. AKA rocker arms, valves exc. Your going to run a solid roller..........the Mopar ones are for a solid push rod(no oiling thru the push rod) Or am i missing something?

Flash

Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

I believe the older (non Magnum) motors oiled through the pushrod.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Plechtan wrote:I believe the older (non Magnum) motors oiled through the pushrod.
Not to be argumentative, but its the other way around, non magnum oiled thru the block, to the head.........Magnum and newer oiled thru the push rod, like our 4.0L/strokers.

Flash.

Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

I knew it was one way or the other, I am not a Mopar expert, but i was talking to a friend of mine a while ago about putting a Magnum head on an older 360, and the subject of lifters and oiling came up, so i knew the correct style lifters were available, and of course the 4.0 has the same lifter diameter as the Chrysler V8 engines.
Peter Lechtanski
Flash

Post by Flash »

Plechtan wrote:I knew it was one way or the other, I am not a Mopar expert, but i was talking to a friend of mine a while ago about putting a Magnum head on an older 360, and the subject of lifters and oiling came up, so i knew the correct style lifters were available, and of course the 4.0 has the same lifter diameter as the Chrysler V8 engines.
Yes, what you have to do is put the AMC/4.0L lifter in with hallow tube push rods then the magnum head will work............Something that i have thought long and hard about doing with my 340................Still haven't decided on that on.
The magnum eng uses a roller Hyd. lifter that oils thru the lifter tube.................But you are going with a solid roller, Right.
Still think the AMC V8 Roller is you best solution..........what a minute, thats Hyd roller too :smack:

do they make a AMC V8 Solid Roller????

Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

Crower makes a set of Mopar lifters (.903) that oils the push rods. Part Number 66255-16
Comp Cams makes a solid lifter for the AMC V8's but doesn't mention if it oils the push rods or not.
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... =A8Lifters

If you can't get a lifter that will oil the push rod then you might want to look into an oiling system in the valve cover. I've seen them made out of brake line with small holes drilled into them directed at the rocker arms and push rods. Drill and tap a fitting into the high pressure oil galley and run some hose up to the valve cover.
Any chance of getting the price down with multiple orders from crane?

~Alex
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Alex22 wrote:Crower makes a set of Mopar lifters (.903) that oils the push rods. Part Number 66255-16
Comp Cams makes a solid lifter for the AMC V8's but doesn't mention if it oils the push rods or not.
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... =A8Lifters

If you can't get a lifter that will oil the push rod then you might want to look into an oiling system in the valve cover. I've seen them made out of brake line with small holes drilled into them directed at the rocker arms and push rods. Drill and tap a fitting into the high pressure oil galley and run some hose up to the valve cover.
Any chance of getting the price down with multiple orders from crane?

~Alex
I found this part of the above link Vary interesting!!!!11

The COMP Cams® patented link bar assembly* blends all the advantages of a removable link bar with the safety of a captured link bar. COMP Cams® Endure-X™ Solid Roller Lifters are available for a variety of applications, including small base circle and off-set applications.

The Roller Lifter link, need to be remove to install into a 4.0l block,......would be interesting how they are detachable!!!

If they are removable and capable of being reinstalled in the block after the lifter is installed...................well, the would eliminate the Question Mark on the lifter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flash

Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

Typically on those lifters you would have to turn one of the lifters inline with the bar and the T piece on the lifter will then fit out the slot. Would you be able to put the lifters in before the cam and turn the engine upside down to put the cam in or is the cross bar still in the way?

~Alex
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.