Jeep valves/springs

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Jeep valves/springs

Post by dwg86 »

Doing some research I noticed the chevy LS valves have a 8mm valve stem with a round bead valve lock. So it looks like you might be able to use the LS valve lock on the Jeep valve. The locks come in 7 degree and 10 degree. So this may open up a lot more spring and retainer options for the Jeep 4.0 using the stock Jeep valves.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Re: Jeep valves/springs

Post by dwg86 »

The only picture I can find of the LS1 valve lock is on Lunati's web site. It looks like the beadlock is lower on the LS1 valve lock than on the Jeep valve lock. The Jeep valve beadlock is at the top of the lock. So I'm not sure if there would be enough valve tip sticking up out of the lock if you used a LS valve lock on the Jeep valve. Does anyone have any LS1/6 locks laying around to check this?
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Here's the Jeep 4.0 keepers on the left and Chivy LS2 keeper on the right.
Jeep valve and keepers in Jeep retainer (center)
Chivy valve and keepers in Jeep retainer (top)
The Jeep valve is right at the top of the retainer with Chivy keepers, the grove on the LS2 valve is proportionately lower on the stem.

I haven't bothered to look up the specs on the LS2 springs yet, I would like to use them, they may be rather stiff being from a roller engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Do you have a picture with the jeep valve with the chevy keeper and retainer? I'm at work right now so I can't get the dimensions of the Stock Jeep retainer. Will the LS spring fit the Jeep retainer?
TurboTom
I made it to triple digits!

Post by TurboTom »

No the stock jeep retainer will not fit the spring. I am putting the lS1 spring on my head. Head must be cut as the LS1 spring does not fit.
My 2000 head had 3 groove locks by the way.
Remember, Sometimes I post after drinking!
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I think the 1996 and later valves have the 3 groove valves. 1995 and earlier have 1 groove.
What valves are you using?
TurboTom

Post by TurboTom »

I am using a set of REV 2.02 1.570 LS-1 valves , springs, titainium retainers and may just modify the head and make a stand for the roller pivot LS1 1.7:1 rockers.
Spring rate at 1.650 is 125 on the seat and around 280 at .467 valve lift. Those are loose numbers, As I was just trying to get a feel for the spring.
I'll probably end up with an installed height of 1.650-1.750. Won't know untill I cut the spring pockets and do the math.
I got an 8mm reamer from MSC , worked fine
Remember, Sometimes I post after drinking!
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
Gearhead88
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Gearhead88 »

TurboTom wrote:I am using a set of REV 2.02 1.570 LS-1 valves , springs, titainium retainers and may just modify the head and make a stand for the roller pivot LS1 1.7:1 rockers.
Spring rate at 1.650 is 125 on the seat and around 280 at .467 valve lift. Those are loose numbers, As I was just trying to get a feel for the spring.
I'll probably end up with an installed height of 1.650-1.750. Won't know untill I cut the spring pockets and do the math.
I got an 8mm reamer from MSC , worked fine

What is the coil bind height of the LS1 springs you'll be using ? , it's important to know that when doing the math and cutting the spring pads.
amcinstaller
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

is there anyone who has successfully installed these springs into either style head as of yet?? would be nice to see how it worked and what kind of parts they had to use.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

amcinstaller wrote:is there anyone who has successfully installed these springs into either style head as of yet?? would be nice to see how it worked and what kind of parts they had to use.
I haven't yet, but all that needs to be done is reduce the guide boss diameter, use Chivy springs and retainers, use the Jeep valves and keepers OR the Chivy valves and keepers.
Installed height needs to be set after the valves and seats are ground.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

has anyone checked the current R/T or SRT HEMI springs yet?
They have a 3-groove 8mm lock, beehive spring with damper, and you can get the spring, locks, and retainer for a very decent price from a mopar dealer...

The SRT's take up to 0.570-ish lifts on the hemi's with good valve control to 6500 rpm at the hemi installed height... I haven't followed up on the install heights/pocket sizes yet....