Cryogenic treatments

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Cryogenic treatments

Post by Flash »

I could have posted this in many threads here but decked to give it it own thread

http://www.nitrofreeze.com/cryogenic_tr ... ports.html
I have allway thought that this prosses was like heat treatting metal but deeper but not realy

(
It is technically inaccurate to say that cryogenic treatment increases hardness. Testing before and after shows little - if any - change to hardness. What has been documented, though, is that hardness is more uniform or consistent across the part.)
This mechanism contributes to the dramatic increase in wear resistance of cryogenically treated steels. Steel is, at its most basic formulation, iron (Fe), a metal, and carbon (C), a non-metal. The carbon is dissolved chemically into the iron and is what provides wear resistance. In other words, high carbon content equates to high wear resistance. (The maximum amount of carbon that can be dissolved chemically is about 6% and “high carbon” tool steel like A2 has about 1% carbon.) So just a little bit of carbon (diamond) goes a long way in promoting wear resistance.

The third mechanism relates to stress relief. It is based on Einstein's (and the German physicist Bose’s) observation that matter is at its most relaxed state when it has the least amount of molecular activity or kinetic energy. When we freeze the components, we are actually removing heat, or reducing the molecular activity in the metal. This “relaxes” the metal and reduces residual stresses in it. These hidden stresses propagate when the part is placed into service and cause failures due to fatigue. Hence, by reducing residual stresses, you greatly reduce or eliminate failures due to cracking or what people term "metal fatigue".
and if you real get into all the scince and math.....well here ya go

http://www.nitrofreeze.com/eta_carbide.html

This was way over my head!!!!

I wrote up a big spill on all of this but it timed out and i lost it all :brickwall:
so you get the low BS post from me this time :bs:

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Cryogenic treatments

Post by gradon »

I dunno man, I think with every post of yours there's a potential of bs in there(someone's gotta try to pull it, lol);)
Flash

Post by Flash »

gradon wrote:I dunno man, I think with every post of yours there's a potential of bs in there(someone's gotta try to pull it, lol);)
That's why my post tend to get LLLLOOOOONG! Got to leave enough ammo for some one to pic up and shoot back :stick: :rockout: :mrgreen:

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Flash

Post by Flash »

OK now i have some more time, i will see if i can spread it a little bit deeper :roll: :mrgreen:

I first came on that site.........( ^the link i gave above^) to see if doing This Cryo stuff Could make a cast crank stronger........strong enough to not go to a steel Crank(340 Stroker project)
The hole time i was reading thru this article, i couldn't stop thing about our cam issues(Were not alone, Cam failures spread far and wild. there not eng or brand spacifice)

In this article it talks about, at 300* Below "0" F the metal Glue (carbon) is released to flow and connect to granules of the metal that were not attach when the cam crank or what ever was made........AKA Fla in the casting....usually inside the metal were it's not seen........untill it brake or atlest start to pit. Tiny pin size hole develop in the metal..........

Rember all the pic of the failed cams on here? remember all the pits on cam lobes that had not failed or were just staring to eat them self up???................if them pits did not develop, the grains of the metal were held Even together and didn't fall out..........the cam could ware, but staying smooth........would not eat its self up.

There has been a lot of finger pointing about pour craftsmanship of cam and lifter and of course the falling ZDDP.............

What if this CRYO (Cryogenic aka Freezing) was the fix to questionable casting........If it don't pit......It may wear quicker then normal with today's "new and improved oils"( :bs: :bs: :bs: )But wouldn't have that moment of instant DEATH...........
Just my thoughts there.................................

I thing my next cam....and lifters will have the treatment done................Especially if i go with a .550"+ cam and spring pressure too match

The Cryo does not change any of the dimension of the metal what so ever........and it's not any harder(Just make hardness even thru out the metal) So the Cyro could be done before during or after its made...........Actually i would like the Cryo done just before the final polish of the cam(finish would be much smoother!!!)

Will this Cryo make a cast cam strong enough to hold up to a roller cam???????????????????????????????????????/

lifter and #1 intake and exhaust
exhaust #4 and dist gear, shows original rough dia of cam,comparison to under cut of base circle

I think, had they not change the rules on sixpack.......or waited 1 more year!!!!!...................I thing SixPack could have answered that for all of us!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Flash

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Comp Cams offers nitriding and there is also a process called microniting (IIRC)... just some other options. I had my cam nitri'd by Comp.
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

SilverXJ wrote:Comp Cams offers nitriding and there is also a process called microniting (IIRC)... just some other options. I had my cam nitri'd by Comp.
Same here. Had mine nitrided, hopefully it actually does something and adds some longevity to the cam.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire