n00b here in need of help

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
f3arn0fj

n00b here in need of help

Post by f3arn0fj »

Hello, I just bought a 1990 XJ 4.0 about 5 weeks ago. Its got a 3.5 lift 31 MTR's and a few other things......That being said, the guy who sold it to me said he had the motor rebult and when it was being done he went with a stroker motor. For the price I really didn't care if it had a stroker or not so I didn't think twice about it.

So my question here is, is there anyway to tell if he was lieing or not? :huh: I'm kinda new to Jeeps but I'm loven it so far. I'd really like to know if it has one or not. It moves alright for being on stock gears, and it has a low rumble to it at an idle, but it also has a vortex muffler on it.

Thanks for any and all help!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: n00b here in need of help

Post by SilverXJ »

I don't know of any external way to tell. I think you have to pull the oil pan and have a look at the crank's casting number. Or... if he used a spacer on the crank look for a spacer in front of the harmonic balancer, but he could have just had the extra cut off the crank.
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

if he used a "heavy" crank (meaning one having 12 counterweights, itd be easy to tell. the stock crank on a 1999 4.0 only has about 4-6 i think. still need to drop the pan to see that though.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I don't know if one could "accurately" measure the stroke through a spark plug hole to the top of the piston. Probably not....
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

It would still be half an inch longer stroke, which you dont need real exact measurements.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4