ITS ALIVE!!!!! Now help with my problems!!!

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

ITS ALIVE!!!!! Now help with my problems!!!

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Alright peoples, i have it running, i have a quality fuel line, its charging, but i've got some problems.

1. no tachometer - tach worked with renix setup using one of the 5 wires going to the coil. Now i'm using the pulse from the ECU. I'm going to try to use the fire pulse off of the coil and see what happens

2. I can't keep it running with the TPS sensor plugged in. I drove it around the block with the sensor unplugged, and it definitely doesn't run great, but it runs good. When i plug the sensor in, it stumbles when i blip the throttle, and if i crack the throttle hard it will stall. It also stalls just about everytime the butterfly shuts and it comes down to idle

Lets start with that, any help would be much appreciated
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Re: ITS ALIVE!!!!! Now help with my problems!!!

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Mgardiner1 wrote:Alright peoples, i have it running, i have a quality fuel line, its charging, but i've got some problems.

1. no tachometer - tach worked with renix setup using one of the 5 wires going to the coil. Now i'm using the pulse from the ECU. I'm going to try to use the fire pulse off of the coil and see what happens

2. I can't keep it running with the TPS sensor plugged in. I drove it around the block with the sensor unplugged, and it definitely doesn't run great, but it runs good. When i plug the sensor in, it stumbles when i blip the throttle, and if i crack the throttle hard it will stall. It also stalls just about everytime the butterfly shuts and it comes down to idle

Lets start with that, any help would be much appreciated

Sure mike! i'd be glad to help :lol: :lol: :lol:

No tach = 1987 tach input is not compatible with 1991 ECU tach signal. The fix consisted of running the tach input to the ignition pulse lead off of the ECU.

TPS sensor problem = faulty TPS sensor

Running MUCH MUCH better now. I drove it around the block a few times, doing what some suggest to do and use 3rd or 4th gear, floor it from 2000 RPM to 3500-4000 rpm and then let off the throttle and let it coast back down to 2000 rpm. Thats supposed to be the best way to seat the rings. I have premium in my tank now, and definitly don't hear any detonation. The exhaust is leaking (definitly no surprise there) so thats kind of annoying. Will post back with updates. I should be expecting a present from gremlinsteve soon :-)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I was going to suggest checking the voltage on the TPS.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Yeah was interesting too, first i checked the resistance with it unplugged and it seemed ok. I plugged it back in and back probed the connector. When slowly opening the throttle plate, the voltage would jump from 1, to 3, to 2, to 4, back to 1...... I'd say thats a pretty cut and dry case of a bad TPS!!! Luckily the local autozone had one
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I had the same thing the first time I installed my engine... bad TPS... but... when the engine wasn't running it behaved fine... I noticed it real quick because the APEXI can display the throttle position. Only thing it did on mine was really weird shifting patters.