best bolt in stroker?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
ssm

best bolt in stroker?

Post by ssm »

Got an '04 rubicon without an engine but everything else so I have some extra cash to get a fully built stroker....

Here are my best choices for my budget:

Golden's 4.6L http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/ ... -road.html
Custom Design 4.6L http://www.cdpautomachine.com/ecatalog/ ... gines.html

The Golden is almost a grand cheaper
Is the Custom Designs worth it for the extra cash

If I had a block I would just slowly do it myself but like I said paid next to nothing for the Rubicon so why not just get a block all spec-ed and ready

Thanks
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: best bolt in stroker?

Post by dwg86 »

Do you know how to,or have the room and tools to build an engine? I would go that route. If not, maybe find a local machine shop that can build you an engine. That way you have some say so about the parts used. If you had a local machine shop build you an engine and something would happen to go wrong, it would be easier to deal with someone face to face than over the phone or internet.

I got my 2001 engine off craigs list for $80.00. That included the intake with throttle body and fuel rail, exhaust manifold, accessory brackets, cam sensor, coil packs, valve cover to oil pan. Basically everything put the front accessories. It had a cracked head and that is why it was changed. I am using a 7120 head, so I didn't need the head. When I disassembled the engine, everything inside was clean and in good shape. I don't know how many miles were on the engine, but there aren't any ridges or scores in the cylinder walls. The crank and bearings looked new with no wear or scratches. It looks like someone took care of the engine. I guess my point is look around, you might find a good deal, build yourself a good engine and save some green.

If you want to buy an engine, I would look at Hesco. I don't know what their prices are, but they seam to build a good engine. They have a forum on their web site. You could read and inquire about their products, services and customer service. Hesco seams to know a lot about the 4.0 stroker. They even have an aluminum 4.0 block in the works.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

I would say dont go with the Custom Design. They list ARP head bolts and I dont think they make head bolts for the 4.0. Especially for $1000 more. If you must buy a built engine go with golen, but building it yourself will be cheaper and as said above, you will have much more say in the build.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

[quote="seanyb505"]They list ARP head bolts and I dont think they make head bolts for the 4.0.

I saw that also...hmmmm :huh:
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

Hate to brake it to you, Custom Design Performance closed up about a year ago. It looks like Larry's Auto Machine bought the rights to his website. Between the two choices I would go with the Golen one.

Just curious, where are you located?

~Alex
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
ssm

Post by ssm »

Thanks for the input gents.....I am outside of Los Angeles CA.... I would really like to throw in a V8 but that becomes a real hassle in CA when it comes down to making a street legal rig... Anyway thanks again