Does anyone have a "desk top dyno"?

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Does anyone have a "desk top dyno"?

Post by IH 392 »

As I said my files were lost! :brickwall: but IIRC? the stock '97+ cam was better than the Mopar 229 cam? and if if it were advanced 4* it got better?, it's to bad they discontinued the Mopar 230 cam, it was the best.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Desertjr
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Desertjr »

IH 392 wrote:As I said my files were lost! :brickwall: but IIRC? the stock '97+ cam was better than the Mopar 229 cam? and if if it were advanced 4* it got better?, it's to bad they discontinued the Mopar 230 cam, it was the best.
Which cam were you talking about. 96-04? Or the 05-06?
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Jeep4.0Camshafts.htm

Also doesn't the 96+ use the different timing set? Or can I still use the Rollmaster cs7100?

I also found some very very interesting info. Reversing he pistons in the bore, giving a higher compression but still running on pump gas. I see no reason to not do this and its been p osted by lee at hesco and someone named Corey that used to post here & on pirate but he vanished without a trace. He had a 400hp 4.5l.
Dino can you speculate? Or anyone? I'm using a sealed power hc825cp. Can these be reversed? If so the gains seem damn worth it!
Last edited by Desertjr on February 25th, 2013, 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desertjr
BANNED
BANNED

Post by Desertjr »

Cheromaniac wrote:
Desertjr wrote:.050" lift or seat to seat? The dyno sim. when the cam specs are @ seat-seat give 158hp @ 4500rpm 208ftlbs @ 3000-3500rpm. Stays steady.
All specs are stock. Head flow converted from 209cfm @ 28H20 to [email protected].
Try inputting the head flow numbers from my site (209cfm) @ 25H2O, and use the 0.050" lift duration numbers from my spreadsheet for the cam specs. You'll get very different results.

Hey dino I actually did use your specs. 209cfm @25h20 converted is 178.1cfm @ 1.5inHG. Hopefully that'll help someone out lol.
Desertjr
BANNED
BANNED

Post by Desertjr »

Well now the 96-04 is interesting! It pulls harder from around 3700rpm to redline. I guess thats why advancing it 4* is helpful? It would save me probably 100 bucks or better on the cam costs & allow me to run the LS1 springs, or stock springs I have versus the aftermarket comps on my motor which is very very nice & would then allow me a set of those 1.7 roller rockers? Would that be better than going to a aftermarket cam & springs?

how would I advance the cam in the dyno sim?
Specs I entered:

107.3 LSA
114.3 Centerline
253.3* intake duration
259.0* exhaust duration
4.08" lift intake
.414" lift exhaust

Would love to see how it pulls against the mopar 229 with 4* advance! Dino can I buy some of your time? Donate to your paypal ? Or the site? :huh: Really would like to see some graph differences between a few cams..and I'm sure everyone else viewing or wondering would as well. Hoping I can pay for your time to run them for me?

Also everyones opinion on the reversed pistons? Speculation? Possibly links or quotes to viable infomation regarding the subject? My quench is already .038" but if reversing the piston helps "create turbulance" & allows gives more compression without needing higher octance than it seems pointless to not do? Yet I see no one talking about it here? Well kept secret? I remember seeing that doing so was worth 20-30hp & 20-40ftlbs without any cons? Write by the Hesco guys in the Mopar performance book?
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

I don't remember prezctly?, but there is a way to advance/retard the cam timing in the simulation.
I wouldn't reverse the pistons, it'll open up the quench and make it prone to detonation!, it's ok with flat top pistons, not with "D" shaped dishes!
It's my understanding that both '96 up cams have the same specks?
I wouldn't use the "LS" springs with a stock cam, they're to stiff, use the stock springs with a stock cam, with several thousand bumps off of the rev limiter you'll never convince me that a stock cam needs more!??
And I'd only believe about .01% of what that "Corey" FLAKE! says, I bet to this day he still believes that a 4CW crank makes more HP than a 12CW crank!?? :smack: :bs:
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Desertjr
BANNED
BANNED

Post by Desertjr »

IH 392 wrote:I don't remember prezctly?, but there is a way to advance/retard the cam timing in the simulation.
I wouldn't reverse the pistons, it'll open up the quench and make it prone to detonation!, it's ok with flat top pistons, not with "D" shaped dishes!
It's my understanding that both '96 up cams have the same specks?
I wouldn't use the "LS" springs with a stock cam, they're to stiff, use the stock springs with a stock cam, with several thousand bumps off of the rev limiter you'll never convince me that a stock cam needs more!??
And I'd only believe about .01% of what that "Corey" FLAKE! says, I bet to this day he still believes that a 4CW crank makes more HP than a 12CW crank!?? :smack: :bs:
Ya unfortunely most of the useful posts I found were edited and such so I can't get a real answer. Reversing pistons is known for power, old school v8 guys do this still.. It lessens the quench without any other change and actually cause more turbulence, thus less detention in the chambers, downside is how's reliability effected. I know of 2 jeepspeed classes that ran like this on a basically stock 4.0 for over a year before they broke a few teeth on the timing sprocket. But still that's not an every day driver.
Now most jeep speeds have strokers although I believe the rule states stock displacement!