Motor Mounts

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Motor Mounts

Post by Bodo »

I read in another post that there was an issue putting a early model HO block into a late model WJ. Something about the motor mounts not bolting up to the block.

The plan is to put a 00 WJ block into my 96 XJ. The mounts ARE different, but I haven't seen them in person. Will I have issues bolting up the XJ mounts?

Thanks!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Motor Mounts

Post by SilverXJ »

There is a thread on naxja about this. Besides the oil filter mount, engine mounts, various accessory mounts, the water pump mount is very different.
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

I've got the brackets and everything else from the WJ, so that's not a problem. Do you have a URL for the naxja discussion?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

It is a problem. The water pump won't work in the XJ. Not only that but the oil filter will most likely contact the XJ's body.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=995040
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

The WJ water pump on the WJ block won't fit in the XJ?

I see how the oil filter might be a problem...how about a remote oil filter? That should do it.

I've got an amsoil dual-filter setup somewhere...
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

I see what you're concerned about. As far as the water pump goes.

You can't take a XJ water pump and put it on the WJ block. Not an issue if you put a WJ pump on it..and run WJ accessories.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I don't think you can actually use the WJ accessories in a XJ without major work. The AC compressor is in a different location to start with... I know that the 4.7L has a hydraulic cooling fan, but I don't know about the 4.0 WJ, so that could be another issue.

WJ engine:
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

Well rats. :frustrated:

The fan is still the bolt with a fan clutch type. Different mounting system though...
AC lines can be made and rerouted.
Alternator wiring can be lenghtened.

Thanks for the information
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

I would actually prefer the WJ setup personally ... the alternator is up high to prevent failures from splashing water and mud...

I dont have a mechanical fan anymore either .. so this would be a very valid option.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

I don't have the WJ engine together, it's being bored and the valve job is being done, but it LOOKS like the XJ brackets will fit the passenger side of the block. The Head has the two bungs still and the block seems to have the right holes too.

Time will tell I guess!
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

I need a little help. I have XJ motor mount brackets and I'm trying to figure out if they'll work. I don't have a bare 96 block to compare to, so I did the best I could do with the old engine still in the Jeep.

Passenger side:

As you can see, I don't get contact on all points.

I marked the assumed contact points. How close did I get?

Same here. I don't get 3 points of contact.

Marked the assumed bolt holes.

I think that there are brackets or spacers that make up the difference? Yes? No?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

It appears you are in the correct area for the mounts. However, no spacers or adapters came stock and I don't know of anyone that makes any. Even if you could use spacers, would the engine brackets still line up with the bushings in the engine bay? I doubt it.
What year brackets are you using? Maybe try some late model xj brackets?
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

Heading to Pick N Pull this week to look at a late model XJ. The parts catalog shows different part number between a 96 and 01 XJ...so maybe this will work.

The other option is to machine down the high side on one side and make a spacer for the other.

Anyone know the distance between motor mounts on an XJ?
freeclimber00
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by freeclimber00 »

Newb here and this will be my official first post.......

Is there any reason you can't just make new mounts? Surely, with the ability to build a motor you have the ability to build motor mounts using poly or even rubber to dampen vibration/noise. To me, fabbing motor mounts is easier than putting a motor together. Suppose that is why I am reading more than talking. I'll be quite now....

Edit: Just saw the date of the thread is real old and he has probably found a solution by now on the mounts....... :doh:
jonemere
Stroker Displacement: 3.9L
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: 1999
Vehicle Model: sx4

Motor Mounts

Post by jonemere »

I had the body completely off the frame. I then checked the bare frame measurements against the frame alignment chart that I have from the 69 GTO service manual. There were 14 total measurements both horizontal and vertical. I had read your previous posts so, I was careful to check all these measurements before I reassembled the car. All the measurements checked out. However, the one critical measurement that you mentioned is not in the alignment chart. Also, the motor is now installed and I don't really want to pull it again to triple check unless I can’t figure something else out.It Maybe compare your new mount to your old one. There are several types of mounts used on Pontiacs in different cars and you might just have a wrong part.