New 4.6L stroker build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: New 4.6L stroker build

Post by SilverXJ »

Machine shop can't get them for less.. or sooner.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Parts are slowly coming in. I have all the bearings, the JP Performance timing set, the oil pump, freeze plugs, crank spacer, block (thanx to 1bolt) and the rods (casting 544, thanx to Mgardiner1). Still not delivered are the rod bolts coming direct from ARP, KB944 pistons from Summit (11/29 estimated), the 4 wt crank, and the cam and lifters from Comp Cams. I decided on the 68-231-4 with the nitride process. And I still need to order the lifter grooving tool.

I have the intake manifold sorted out and opened up a bit. My Thorley header has been shipped back to Thorley to be replaced or repaired, which after it comes back I need to have the two O2bungs welded on and get it jet-hot coated.

This weekend I will probably start polishing the rods and notching the rod bearings.

And in other news the MP head gasket that I ordered at the dealer 4 months ago came in today. I wonder if they started making them again because they had 0 stock nationwide and just for shits and giggles I left it on order.

So, I will probably be using the .041" head gasket with a 0 deck clearance but I will probably go with the Victor Reinz MLS gasket.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Question, is it necessary to have the rods shot peened after I polish them?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

With the Comp Cam 68-231-4, 0 deck height, and .042" gasket my SCR is 9.62 and DCR is 8.23 with a .042" quench.

The connecting rods are polished, pics will follow.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Got the bearing notching done today. I only notched the rod side bearing as that is where the oil hole is (ank problem with just doing one side?). I didn't have a bearing on hend to copy, but I did have oil stains on the connecting rod which I used as a reference. What I did was scribe two marks into the back .309" from each side of the bearing and one .114" down, which gave me a guide that is .263" wide by .114" deep. I then took the dremel to it and then cleaned up and de burred with a hand file.

Next up we have the polished connecting rod... I concentrated mostly on the beam but cleaned up the cap a bit as well.

The next pics are of the JP Performance timing set (on the right) compared to some single timing chain set. The JP set is a thing of beauty compared to the other one. One thing that is interesting is the number of teeth compared to the old one. The JP timing set has may more.. no, I am not counting them. Has anyone remived the tensioning block and removed it's brackets from the cover? Some where I heard that this is necessary on a double rolled set, but I don't remember where I picked that up.

Thats all the pics for now.. hopefully I will have the pistons soon then the machine work begins.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I must say, those rods sure look a lot different then when i shipped them!!

Lookin good! I liked the build quality of the JP chain set too. Its almost as pretty to have installed as RR's!
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Mgardiner1 wrote:I must say, those rods sure look a lot different then when i shipped them!!

Lookin good! I liked the build quality of the JP chain set too. Its almost as pretty to have installed as RR's!

I know... looks almost as nice as my HS rollers... and its a pity that it is all covered up. I really want a clear valve cover, however rice it maybe. Oh and between the head, two intakes, and the rods I am sick of grinding.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

LOL i know how you feel man! i did my head over 3 day over the course of 2 weekends, i said i'll probably never P&P another cylinder head again!

BTW nice job on the rod bearings. You clearanced them a little more then i did. I just kinda "winged" it in my little bench vice right before i installed my piston assemblies. I also agree with you, rod side should be the only required one
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Mgardiner1 wrote:LOL i know how you feel man! i did my head over 3 day over the course of 2 weekends, i said i'll probably never P&P another cylinder head again!

BTW nice job on the rod bearings. You clearanced them a little more then i did. I just kinda "winged" it in my little bench vice right before i installed my piston assemblies. I also agree with you, rod side should be the only required one
I didn't have a vice I could use because it was near something I didn't want to get dirty, so I did it all by hand. I was afraid of the bit skating on first strike but it proved very stable. Another idea I had would have worked if I had a used rod... install bearings, remove one rod bolt, put rod in clamp long wise, and use the rod as a drill template for the hole. As far as the size I didn't have a bearing to go off or, but I had the oil stain on the rod that I modeled... I don't think that will be a proble as the crank journal shouldn't be in complete contact with that area any way.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Wait a minute.... you are saying the OEM engine bearings did not have the notch?

Again, the bearings that i received that were pre-notched had a larger notch then mine when i was finished.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Mgardiner1 wrote:Wait a minute.... you are saying the OEM engine bearings did not have the notch?

Again, the bearings that i received that were pre-notched had a larger notch then mine when i was finished.
No, I am saying that I didn't' have the OEM bearings to go off of and I was going off the oil stains on the rods you sent me. My OEM 2000 (or shoudl I saw 1999 & 5/6 as one piston died).. is in PA... my Titan is at the machine shop which is closed.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Cam shaft and pistons are in Va.. I'm in NJ... darn. Pics and measurements sometime next week. Picked up my burrett while I am in NJ.
Diamond-x
Noob
Noob

Post by Diamond-x »

Looks good

Here's mine:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

The pistons cc'd at 21.7, which is right about what KB advertised, 21.73. Now on to the pics... 56k.. go take a nap.

The last one is of the lifter bore grooving tool. The blade is at the bottom and you turn the screw to cut the groove.

Also, instead of getting my connecting rods shot peened I sent them off to be cryo tempered today.

Oh yes.. I almost forgot that Summit Racing sent me a free Schick Quattro Titanium razor.. :huh:
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

SilverXJ wrote:Oh yes.. I almost forgot that Summit Racing sent me a free Schick Quattro Titanium razor.. :huh:
PICS?!?! LOL J/K :stick:

LOVE the way those pistons look. They look more "refined" then the H802's i got (smoother castings, better machined finish)
I assume you are supposed to groove the lifter bores from the bottom? Did the tool come with good instructions on how to use and where to cut the groove? If you can, please take before, maybe one or two with the tool installed, and after pics.