beiwulf build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

beiwulf build

Post by beiwulf »

Well shook the tree and search the net... Golen seems to have a good build and couldn't find anything bad about them. Titan was what I was considering more seriously. I had communication with them but it feel short when the dollar wasn't spent soon enough with them. I came across some mixed reviews about the Titan builds. Came upon S & J out of Spokane, WA they have a 4.0L and they have a 4.2L (crank series 9000). S & J didn't want to modify anything really (just wanted to stick with production style build). Local shop was sketchy with frankenstiening things together without knowing enough about it. I found Cleg Engines and spoke with Tieson in sales dept. Shared with him what I would like to do and he said give me a few days and i'll get back w/ you. Tieson got back with me but in the conversations to follow as we got closer to closing a sale things shifted. Certain questions I asked and answers I got... Tieson was straight forward with me telling me that with what I wanted to do 505 Performance was already doing. In prior conversations he had mentioned competition. Tieson wasn't closing the door just redirecting me to what he thought would be a better fit. so.... I called Zach @ 505 Performance.

(Nothing against the piecing of engines together from different offshoots-I use these boards for that very information- but that information has cost someone else money to figure out. Thank you for sharing it and please continue)

After spending a few minutes on the phone asking some questions and having some dialog. [after all the postings and research regarding stoichiometric, scr,dcr, dynamic cranking, cam timing, boost effect, piston head depth, quench, cfm/head flow, reversion, to name a few...] Stuff I didn't know jack about before logging on the boards a few months ago... This guy Zach and his team he's working with seem to genuinely embrace the off builds and thrive on the one offs of a custom build. From the information i came into through my search process. Zach had the answers and was excited to talk about it and about using his skills on the custom build. Full custom fabrication shop with the resources and the R&D to use it properly.

Cracked me up to hear Zach saying most people's top end stroker builds are one of the mid-range builds he does frequently. (this is the guy with a 692hp/777lb ft tq inline 6 build w/twin turbo's) I am excited about the build he's putting together for me. Not gonna be cheap but like most of us.... I love my jeep and not looking to part with it to soon.

Will post more on build in future.

Hope this helps.
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Re: How much are you going or did you spend on your stroker?

Post by beiwulf »

<bump>

4.7 stroker build 330hp (for blower motor build)
custom fab piston (w/.300 head thickness and cermaic top coat)
Cylinder head ported and polished flowing over 300 cfm @ .500 lift (stage 2) - [side note: hesco's aluminum header for $2,000 doesn't flow this]
ARP head studs
505 stage 2 custom cam/engine build [bullet turns zach's cam's]
roller rockers [Harland Sharp i believe]
2.0 Whipple charger
including custom bracket/tubing fabrication.

After build should put out 450+hp/tq

And if i recall with minor upgrades to the AW4/A340E including external cooler posted here.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1055170

I already have an external trans cooler.

I am curious of the stock dana 30/35 on the 95 GC/ZJ will handle this, and if so how much of it...
30.5"x9x15R 1" body lift w/ factory gearing

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: beiwulf build

Post by shawnxj »

just a piece of advice. research 505 here, jeep forum, and naxja before you give them a dime
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

I have seen some post that didn't seem positive. Communication seemed to be an issue. I am carefully proceeding with project with them. Watching for the red flags that I read about. From what I can see Zach is an energetic do'er and loves what he does. Sometimes follow up and communication that comes with the best / better business practices doesn't always pair up with some do'ers. I have yet to have something happen that is outside of reasonable business practice and reasonable communication from this Shop Owner/Fabricator/Machinist/Mechanic. Exchanges with him have been good, informative and engaging.

Follow up in a timely fashion was about the only bad thing I came across on the postings here and I think another board had something. Sticking with facts and not hearsay is key for most and that is what I am looking for on these boards.

I do appreciate the heads up and welcome input details regarding anything I might of missed. I'm only human after all.

Thank you

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

Was originally going to go with my block. The subject of a supercharger being installed I brought up. Location was discussed and custom fabrication of brackets and shifting vital engine parts (alternator, a/c compressor) [both on passenger side of block for 95 zj]. Location for supercharger is off the block on passenger side. A few advantages here is being able to install/dismount, cooler location (off intake manifold/not over exhaust) and the ability to adapt my stoke throttle body and intake as needed (CA resident/ 49 state legal ? ). Anyways, suggestion using 2000 or newer i6 block was made for less adapters having to be used/modified for the desirable re-location. The build is using the 99+ intake manifold. Not certain what to do with current Throttle body. I have an order still pending fulfillment from Leigh (brother has a jeep he can use it on if not an essential upgrade for my current build).

Build to include Long Block with intake header, fuel injectors (8 - 26lbs.) with fuel injector rail management system, 2.0 Whipple w/Mount setup to block and tubing (non-intercooled atm).

So doing some research and would appreciate input here please.
In order to plug and play the build I will need:

1999/2000 & Up A/C compressor (new block location under manifold intake)
possibly ignition coil pack (old block is distributor/if i don't want to use)

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

clutch fan from old block(including cover) or electric fan conversion?

Talking to a rep from Ron Davis Radiator said "mechanical fan will pull more cooling capacity then any electric probably would, especially under a load"

also mentioned electric fans from some companies claim there high CFM flow but it's not under a load / behind or infront of something pushing / pulling.

thoughts?

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

shawnxj wrote:just a piece of advice. research 505 here, jeep forum, and naxja before you give them a dime
x2. Zach is a salesman, an insulting one at that. That is all.

You have a Ron David radiator?
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

Looking into purchasing a Ron Davis Radiator. Have any insight or experiences to share regarding them Chris?

NAXJA has some deep threads. Any particular one in mind (maybe a posters name for forum)?

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

beiwulf wrote:Looking into purchasing a Ron Davis Radiator. Have any insight or experiences to share regarding them Chris?
I don't know of anyone that has put one in an XJ. Primarily because they are pricy and not known that well in the Jeep crowd. So, I can't comment on fit in our vehicles but I can tell you they are works of art.
NAXJA has some deep threads. Any particular one in mind (maybe a posters name for forum)?
Of the people that I know have ordered from them I have only heard of one person that is satisfied. One thread on here shows where they took a whiz (cut off) wheel to the lifters to allow more oil to the cam. Cuts were sloppy, wrong tool used and too deep. Resulted in significant lack of oil pressure to the bottom end. Many people have received parts dirty and packaged incorrectly. Not to mention the hack job I saw on one of their ported and polished race heads. Ever time I tried to get information on their products they were less than helpful.

On the supercharger one person is doing one similar to what you have envisioned: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246000468
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

I have a jeep grand cherokee 1995 with a 2000 block going into it. New block has the A/C compressor on under the power steering pump area. I am looking to drop the alternator down and mount the SC pulley about level (roughly with intake manifold opposite side of block. I am looking for a quality radiator for this build to insure the build's success. Zach @ 505 is putting the entire long block together including manifold w/ injector setup and 2 extra injector's setup to make sure proper fuel mixtures w/ split second setup. Brackets for SC to be fabricated at his shop with the SC and connecting tubing. Less alternator, a/c compressor that I know of from block. I am going to use the Clifford Headers for the dual wideband, and have a custom fab on down pipe back once build is in place.

I have yet to purchase radiator, a/c compressor, alternator, ignition/coil pack setup (parts to convert from distributor..)

Saw the posting you had Chris for the Viper packs, considering FlameRiver for alternator, A/C compressor probably just off ebay atm. Ron Davis for radiator probably... Unless other input for quality and price come up.

Zach @ 505 Performance did mention 1 year warranty on build.

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

My first transaction financially occurred Oct. 15th 2013. It is now today January 22nd 2014 and I filed a compliant with Better Business Bureau about an hour ago regarding my transaction with Zach Steele @ 505 Performance. I was warned in the forums here and it had more bad then good. Wanting to give Zach the benefit of the negative media I gave him several opportunities to prove to me he wasn't the same guy on the postings. He failed almost every step of the way and supported the majority of the negative media that has been posted here and on other forums regarding Jeep builds. The following supports the personal experience and my claims agaisnt Zach Steele's business relationship with me and my transaction.

What I submitted to BBB:

I initiated a transaction with Zach Steele @ 505 Performance on October 15, 2013. The purchase originally was to be an engine build only. Upon speaking with him further he said he had another item that had been on his shelf for over a year and he wasn't going to use it. He also shared that he walked out onto the shop floor that morning and told his employees he was going to sell that item (whipple supercharger). I decided I would purchase that from Zach and stated to him that I would be doing this in 2 stages. (1st stage engine, 2nd stage supercharger) He quoted me a price on the brackets he would need to fabricate to adapt the supercharger of $350. I agreed, we proceeded with a transaction for $1,500. He sent me an email with in 24 hours regarding that transaction. As part of the transaction I requested more information on the details of the build to be sent and he agreed. Upon checking my email Zach Steele adjusted the price of the bracket to $400 and included the price of the Supercharger with the Engine. More then a couple weeks went by and no details regarding the build sent. Only an email sent of our financial transaction. I called and spoke with Zach again letting him know about intended payment amount and date to expect it and asked about emailing information. I also brought up the changes I saw him do even though we spoke and I voiced something else different then what he did. I had also sent him an email in-between that time frame with no reply. Upon doing more research on 505 performance and Zach's history of transaction with others. It seems his common practice of business lacks the customer care and courtesy some expect when spending money with a company for products and service. I spoke with Zach on November 22nd, 2013 Letting him know that I have decided to stop all workings on the project with him. According to his website projects deemed as "special" are subject to refund review. One of the products he had on his shelf and had been sitting there for over a year ( A Whipple Supercharger ).

I gave 505 Performance several phone calls over the passed 3 weeks. The comments I got was Zach is out of the office, Your job is still being worked on, I'll have him call you back. Never received a call back from Zach Steele to find out the status of the job. When I finally got a hold of him 3 weeks ago Zach Steele said it would be shipped on monday January 13th 2014. I spoke Zach Steele this morning aproximately 8 am PST (9-10am CST/MST his time) asked him the status of my job and if it had been shipped as per what he said. Zach Steele replied with it's still being worked on. I asked him when I can expect to see it. He said he wasn't sure and got quiet. I then replied with "I'll wait, and you can let me know". He put the phone down and for about 5 mins of silence then I heard a customer enter the room and he proceeded to conduct a transaction, and then a phone call on his other line. 10 minutes of waiting and he picks up the phone " You still there?" I responded with a yes. He then told me he wasn't sure when it was going to be done and that they were still working on it. At this point I attempted to inform him of a dissatisfied customer and that I was going to pursue other courses of action regarding his business practice and giving him the oppertunity to resolve the issue. He got pissed at me and raised his voice and cussed. He said it's going to go 1 of 2 ways. I can wait for them to do there thing in there time or he can give me a refund. I asked when a refund can happen he said weds. checks are cut. I asked him so today is weds. and I can get that done today. He replied hesitantly with " No, she's already cut the checks today. I won't happen till next week." Zach Steele had to have used the F-word at least 5-6x in the 2minutes he ranted. He then expressed to me that my job was not a priority and that he was working on several other vehicles for a race coming up and that he would get to my job in his own time. Called me other names such as pecker, f**ker. To conclude the conversation he put the phone on the desk when he was done raising his voice and let it be. I hung up shortly there after finding no reason to hold longer.

http://www.lsjc.org/board/showthread.ph ... percharger

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/505-p ... 79762.html

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ripped ... ew-184920/

informative links.

I will continue to add informative links to this as it pertains to my build and 505 Performance customer / product service issue…
In hopes to help others make informed business choice .

These statements are true and factual that I have posted regarding my personal experience. The links are information that appear to be similar to mine shared by other people. The links are just grouped here & I do not claim they are true or factual. The links are here for research and review. I encourage other people to do there homework and make there own informed choice.
Last edited by beiwulf on January 27th, 2014, 6:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

<bump>

SAME DAY AS ABOVE POST

Filed this with California Attorney General's Office; Consumer to Business Complaint

I am an Active Duty Enlisted Military Personal. I hired Zach Steele @ 505 Performance on October 15th, 2013 to handle an engine build originally with payment installations setup. I gave Zach Steele $1,500.00 to satisfy his request to proceed. I then requested more details on the build he was offering. I never received any further details on the build other then Supercharger, core charge, bracket(s) And stage of cam on the receipt of transaction he sent me. I followed up with emails, phone calls and date corrispondents as for payment arrangement. Still he was more then willing to take my money with no follow up from his side on my request. I asked to stop the project and find a settling point for concluding our business on Nov.22nd 2013. He assured me the brackets were done and the supercharger was sitting on the shelf. The understanding was that the brackets would include the needed items to hook the Supercharger up (less an intercooler). He said he needed more time for the tubing. I called him back several times after Christmas into the New Year. I finally got him on the phone and he said it would ship January 13th monday 2014. I never received an email, a phone call or any other communication regarding transaction. Today is January 22nd 2014 and after an brief and abrasive conversation with Zach Steele (to include him cussing and calling me names). Zach Steele expressed to me my project was not a priority nor would it be. He has other business to tend to and he would get to it in his time. I told him I would pursue other action and express my dissatisfaction his business practices. I am seeking a full refund of $1,500.00 for a product I never received and a picture of a supercharger he sent to me the day I gave him money. I have had to follow up with this irresponsible business person and do not wish any further contact with someone who needs to be babysat by his customers.

I have filed a complaint also with the Better Business Bureau with more details to be included.

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

Called again today to deal with my refund with Zach since he insisted yesterday that he wouldn't get to my items till he decided to. He let me know that he would give me a refund less 20% restocking fee. Who tells a customer I will get to your project when I get to it. Then tells them they will give a refund less 20% for a restocking fee after holding onto it for 2 months? A whipple supercharger and the items to hook it up…

...and a few more colorful words from him. F***...
"Well, that certainly illustrates the diversity of the word."
The Boondock Saints (1999) Memorable quotes and exchanges from movies, ... Connor

People tend to pay other people for a service because of a lack of time and or know how. Not because they want to give money away for nothing. This guy seems be in business for hand outs and doesn't appreciate his customers or how they earn there money.

Zach Steele @ 505 Performance = Unscrupulous (based on my personal experience)

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 1/22/2014 12:40:58 PM against 505 Performance. Your complaint was assigned ID 9895509.

The business has sent the BBB a message regarding this complaint, and we are passing it on to you. The contents of this message are below or attached. All responses will be copied to the company. Please respond within seven (7) days or the complaint will be closed as assumed resolved.

The text of your response may be publicly posted on the BBB Web Site (BBB reserves the right to not post in accordance with BBB policy). Please do not include any personally identifiable information in your response. By submitting your complaint, you are representing that it is a truthful account of your experience with the business. BBB may edit your complaint to protect privacy rights and to remove inappropriate language.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Better Business Bureau

MESSAGE FROM BUSINESS:

Customer received a full refund as promised, 505performance doesnt have control over customers factory ecu programming and as explained can not re write ever single computer we don't currently have all programming for every ecu. All products that were sent over that did work the customer was very pleased getting a 40 percent increase in horse power.

Thank you for your inquiry,
505 Performance
80 CR 3535
Flora Vista, NM 87415

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Options given were to:
ACCEPT OFFER
DECLINE OFFER

OFFER DECLINED:
Complaint: 9895509

I am rejecting this response because: No refund was issued(verified with my bank) (If refund was issued it never made it to me as I write this statement. No communication of refund in alternate form was stated as course either.) & product mentioned in reply does not relate to my purchase.

Regards,

Brian Conway

I contacted my bank regarding the first part of 505Performance's statement saying " A full refund has been issued ". Upon contacting my bank there is nothing reflecting any pending transactions regarding this business statement to be found true.

2nd part of the statement: "an ECU and supply issue". This product does not relate to the original purchase or any communication regarding any other purchase of or relating to my purchase of said good & or service.

I believe these statements were made knowingly to mislead. To believe that the reply was made in error would be to believe that Zach Steele is truely out of contact with this situation. I made clear, and respectable attempts to communicate with Zach Steele (via email & phone/voice -one on one) regarding my contact with the BBB and the California Attorney General's office regarding this transaction. The conversations, emails, and failed attempts to resolve this issue as well as this misleading information given (from an person conducting some reference to business) all reflect choices to conduct business.

To resolve this issue I would like a 100% refund. More than 3 months have gone by with ill communication and no product rendered. Any thought of after purchase support is another issue if product would be delivered after how Zach Steele has conducted this transaction with me. I want nothing else to do with Zach Steele and his business practices.

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

What a load of BS